FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBaby Led Weaning

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
lovingmummyhood View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovingmummyhood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Baby Led Weaning
    Posted: 23 December 2009 at 9:46pm
I've just realised that there seem to be a few of us who are doing this or have taken this approach to starting solids. I thought it would be a good idea to have an OB thread to discuss/share ideas etc. I know there is an actual forum (and yep, I'm a member there too) but thought an OB thread might be helpful

So I'll start. DS is 6 months old (so we've been experimenting with food for just under a week). We're having lots of fun but there are a couple of things I'm a bit dubious about him trying - like rice, which I' think he would have great fun playing with, but the bits are so small!

What have your babies tried? What has gone down well, or not so well? And should I be scared of rice or not?
Sponsored Links

myfullhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myfullhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2009 at 9:50pm
What exactly is baby-led weaning? Ben is 5.5mths and was definately not interested in solids when I gave it a go last week, not really disappointed! Jack was about 6mths when he went onto solids
Lindsey

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovingmummyhood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2009 at 10:03pm
Its pretty much skipping the 'stages' of baby foods and going straight to finger foods.

Basically baby sits with you when you eat and has some of what you're having. You don't give the baby anything though or put anything in his/her mouth. They pick up what they want and get it to their mouth.

That is not the best explanation sorry. Will come back in the morning when my brain is working and do a better job (unless someone else wants to help )
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2009 at 10:17pm
there is the old thread on BLW that was started ages ago, still has some current stuff in it too... will see if i can bump that up for some ideas too.

i remember giving eden sushi at about 6 mths old, she loved it!

Edited by Bizzy

Joscia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joscia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2009 at 10:07am
I'm quite keen to try DS on sushi as well (since I it) but had a bit of hesitation about the potential salmonella / listeria issue. They say in 'the BLW book' that you shouldn't give babies runny eggs for that reason, so I was wondering about sushi...

(Having said that he has already devoured steamed mussels, hapuka and ceviche so I don't really know why I'm nervous... Might be the rice element too...)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myfullhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2009 at 10:56am
Ok so I looked at the other threads and am about to head to the library to get the book Weegee recommended. I will probably be back here after xma with a million questions!
Lindsey

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovingmummyhood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2009 at 12:59pm
Thank you Bizzy

Now let's see if I can go straight to that thread from here...
BLW thread with links etc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovingmummyhood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2009 at 1:03pm
Yay it worked!! That book is great Linzy

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myfullhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2009 at 9:01am
I never got to the library before xmas but hope to go tomorrow before we go away. But I have been thinking about BLW and have a few Q's:

Do you still follow the Plunket recommendations as to the age that you introduce specific foods?

How many times a day do you offer food to begin with? Once a day like "traditional" solids introduction? Or more often right from the beginning?

If it is messier then what are some tips for when you are out and about? And do you normally take some finger foods with you? Or feed baby some of whatever you might have if you eat?

I gave Ben a rusk last night while we ate dinner and he loved it. I put it in his hand but left him to it, he only got it up his nose a few times! Managed to get a good chew and suck on it and made a lovely mess
Lindsey

Joscia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joscia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2009 at 10:02am
Do you still follow the Plunket recommendations as to the age that you introduce specific foods?
- No. Basically the BLW principle is that you wait until 6 months for their digestive systems to be mature enough to handle most foods, then offer whatever you're eating - cut into manageable 'chip-sized' pieces.
The only things that you should hold off on are runny eggs (listeria risk I think) and honey, until they are 1, as there is a risk of infant botulism.
And, obviously, you'd need to be a bit cautious about things like nuts / seafood / dairy etc if you have a family history of allergies...

How many times a day do you offer food to begin with? Once a day like "traditional" solids introduction? Or more often right from the beginning?
- It's kind of up to you on this one I think. They suggest letting the baby eat with you at mealtimes so they get lots of opportunities to experience different foods. In reality I've found that to be a bit impractical, as DS is usually asleep when I eat lunch, and ALWAYS asleep when we have dinner. So, he and I have breakfast together every day, and then will have a late afternoon 'meal' as well. (Often leftovers from the previous night's dinner.)

If it is messier then what are some tips for when you are out and about? And do you normally take some finger foods with you? Or feed baby some of whatever you might have if you eat?
- Someone else might be better off answering this one - we haven't eaten out much yet! The few times we have were at other people's houses and I've just plonked DS on my lap and given him bits from my plate...

I think the key thing to remember (and what I keep reminding myself of) is that at the moment, food is about learning and new experiences, rather than 'filling him up.' So it doesn't matter if he doesn't actually EAT much of what I give him...
EmilysMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmilysMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2009 at 8:03pm
I have an 11 month old DD and she has been BLW since 6 months. I absolutely LOVE it and am so glad we went down this pathway. Basically we started with roasted and steamed vege "chips" and fruit (except raw apple which is a bit of a choking hazard, as are hard carrot, whole grapes and cherry tomatos and peanuts). She sat with us at christmas and tucked into a full roast turkey meal, and is a really fantastic eater.

We started with one meal a day and worked our way up from there. Shes now on 3 meals and two snacks a day, and has just this week decided that she doesn't need her lunchtime bottle. Linzy, it is messier to start with, but now if my DD throws things over the side it means she's either full or doesn't like what is on offer. I put an old basinette sheet underneath the highchair to catch everything, then just throw it in the wash. Easy peasy.

I was pretty anal about salt to start with, as they're only allowed 1g a day before they're one and thats not much, but I'm starting to relax a bit about it now. Good snacks for taking out are rice cakes with avocado and cream cheese (plain Healtheries cakes and Tararua spreadable are the lowest salt) are always a hit and easy to pack. Sliced cucumber, peanut butter sandwiches and cheese and brocolli muffins from the BLW website recipe section are also easy snacks to take along. If you go to www.babyledweaning.com/forum there is a recipe section with loads of ideas. The rest of the forum is also briliant.

Oops, I've gone on a bit sorry! I'm just a bit enthusiastic about it as I'm the only one I know doing it so I don't get to talk about it that much!
flakesitchyfeet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flakesitchyfeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2009 at 8:31pm

This is my favourite bit! We followed BLW, at 8/9/10 months we were taking her out, and she just ate whatever we did, but chopped up safely.

She ate it all, from fish pie to whole gerkins to random sandwiches, and we receieved heaps of comments about what a great and varied eater she was

I was to scared to give BLW a go mind you, until she just stopped eating puree one day. Had to do something.
http://eggsineachbasket.blogspot.com/

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lovingmummyhood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2009 at 9:00pm
I'm pretty much the same as Joscia - I just give him some of what I'm eating. We went out for lunch on Christmas day and he just sat in the highchair up at the table with a selection of veges to try and did really really well.

We've only been going for nearly two weeks here and he has tried a lot of different things. Yep it is messy but yay for summer and eating outside and two dogs who are great at cleaning up afterwards

Oh forgot to say, I tend to give him something whenever I'm eating so he gets to explore food several times a day

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myfullhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2009 at 10:52pm
OK so I got the book from the library today and will read it while I am away. I need to understand ALL the in's and out's, the logisitcs etc before I feel comfortable giving it a go, until then it will seem really hard, I am that type of person. At the moment purees etc seem so much easier but I think I really want to give BLW a go. So will see what the book says and go from there. Also have to make sure I am patient with Ben as it sounds like he may not progress to actually eating alot as fast as Jack did with purees
Lindsey

mummyofprinces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummyofprinces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2010 at 7:18pm
Not too messy foods for out and about:

Omelette cuts in to strips, little sandwiches (vegemite are a favourite in this house), dried fruits, rusks, crackers....

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myfullhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2010 at 8:12am
Ok so I got the book and read it while we were at the bach. We started BLW qwhile we were there and Ben just seems to love to "eat" with us. My problem is I am having trouble knowing what to give him to eat. He doesn't seem to be able to get the food off the highchair tray, probably too high for him but if I hold something out he will happily grab it, or turn his nose up at it sometimes. I have given him toast or bread but he manages to get pieces off and then gags on them, I know learning the gag reflex is good but he seems to gag alot! And he seems to "hide" food in the roof of his mouth. I have kind of perfected carrot sticks at dinner for Ben but they were a bit too al dente for the rest of us. Other than that I don't really know what else to give him as alot of what he eat doesn't seem that easy for him to eat e.g. peas, scalloped potatoes. I have bought some apricots, necatrines and peaches yesterday so might try those later today.

Some help would be appreciated as I really like the idea of BLW and what to get into it more. TIA
Lindsey

monster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 January 2010 at 10:12am
Linzy, why don't you have a look at the BLW forum? I know it's been mentioned before, but there will be a threads there with people starting in Dec/Jan who are in the same boat. And on the site generally there are heaps of tips for what to try when starting out.

It's just a matter of looking at what you'll be eating during the day and picking out a few things that he might try too. You can just start out slowly with one 'meal' a day so there's bound to be something suitable that you're already having.

Don't worry too much about the gagging. It varies so much between babies, but the more he does it now, the sooner he'll get the hang of controlling the food to chew and swallow it.

You could also try sitting him on your lap at the table so he can reach the food for himself until he's tall enough for the highchair tray.

Good luck!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myfullhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2010 at 9:18pm
* Cut and paste from July 09 thread *

Ben has had toast, bread, mousetraps, carrots (every night!), apricot, snax crackers, banana, plain pasta. He hasn't liked broccoli or green beans.

Was tempted to make mac and cheese for tea tonight and give him that but was wondering about the milk, cheese and small macaroni. Thoughts??

Might try porridge tomorrow, although was going to make us all some so it would have quite a bit of milk in it as well as water, hmmm

I haven't had a chance to go on the BLW forum yet but I will as I don't really know what to give Ben to try, am not feeling very confident but really want to make a good go of this
Lindsey

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 January 2010 at 9:48pm
if you make the porridge normally and not watery then let a small bit cool down it goes quite thick and can be picked up like a pancake almost...

mac and cheese would be great - or even just pasta with nothing on if you are worried about the cheese and stuff. or make the mac and cheese with penne or some other pasta that might be easier to grip.

Edited by Bizzy

Pidge View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pidge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 January 2010 at 5:05pm
I am very interested in this. My 2 year old is such a bad eater that I want to try something different with his 6 month old brother. Is it pretty much anything goes (minus skins and seeds) or do you have to still add different foods slowly? And what about meat? Eggs? Bread? Cheese?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>