FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedLearning Programs On TV

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Timmeh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timmeh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Learning Programs On TV
    Posted: 21 December 2010 at 1:50pm
So lately iv been seeing the same infomercial for learning program ,

So my question is pretty simple has anyone tried these are they any good/worth the money

And is this going to far , im pretty bright my self if i do say so myself and i didn't have anything like this just school and what i learned off my mother over the years
Sponsored Links

_SMS_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _SMS_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2010 at 1:50pm
You mean the child reading one??

Timmeh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timmeh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2010 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by _SMS_ _SMS_ wrote:

You mean the child reading one??

Yip i do indeed , With the flash cards and dvd and what not
amme_eilyk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amme_eilyk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2010 at 1:50pm
or the maths/memory one?

they seem to be advertised a lot at the moment. I am not sold on them. IMO you are better off spending the quality time with your child doing activities/reading/learning.
peanut butter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2010 at 1:50pm
Or just let your child watch playhouse disney. I swear my boys learnt to count from Numberjacks and as for reading.....Word world!
_SMS_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _SMS_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2010 at 1:50pm
Yea the ad kind of made me LOL

It says the girl knew over 500 words at 19 months. For gods sake let children be children and learn on there own.

And why does a child under 2 need to read??

Sorry thats my opinion on it anyway.
Timmeh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timmeh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2010 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by _SMS_ _SMS_ wrote:

Yea the ad kind of made me LOL

It says the girl knew over 500 words at 19 months. For gods sake let children be children and learn on there own.

And why does a child under 2 need to read??

Sorry thats my opinion on it anyway.

I was thinking the same thing.
freckle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freckle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2010 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by amme_eilyk amme_eilyk wrote:

or the maths/memory one?

they seem to be advertised a lot at the moment. I am not sold on them. IMO you are better off spending the quality time with your child doing activities/reading/learning.

agree 100%!! you don't need to spend a heap to teach ya kids literacy and numeracy skills... pens, paper, some basic books and you're set

Originally posted by nzpiper nzpiper wrote:

Or just let your child watch playhouse disney. I swear my boys learnt to count from Numberjacks and as for reading.....Word world!

IMHO the educational value of those TV programmes is pretty debatable... I have nothing at all against my kids watching that kind of thing but I see it as purely entertainment. Numberjacks introduces some ridiculous concepts for preschool children (e.g. estimating!!) and word world (which I just loathe ) has often unrecognisable capital letters in the shapes of animals... I think it would be very challenging for a child to learn to read from that, and if they did they will only be reading uppercase...

eta - I mean no offence NZPiper - those programmes just annoy me ... it's great that your kiddies have learnt something from them !

Edited by freckle
Plushie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plushie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2010 at 1:50pm
your baby can read is creepy to me and the maths one scares me because i can barely do my times tables

Am curious if someone has tried it or thinks its worth it though - no judgement.
Mum_mum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mum_mum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2010 at 1:50pm
I have thought about it but mainly cos I like the look of the flash cards (which I can probably buy somewhere else)

The DVD looks good in that they say the word, baby sees the word and then sees someone doing that thing- e.g clapping. However reading reviews on the net the DVD's are boring and didnt hold the kids attentions.

I don't see anything wrong with using tools like that to help your child learn, my girl loves sitting down reading books with me and I think she would really enjoy flash cards. I think its more about making learning fun and what better age to instill that than before they start school.
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2010 at 1:50pm
i dont think that educationally there is any advantage to teaching your child to read at an early age. and if you wanted you could probably do something at home by making your own flashcards ec... The maths one i am not sure on either as even though it would be helpful to learn i dont think that it would work with the nz school system. I know that quite often at school i could do maths problems but unless i could show how i got the answer i would get marked down.
BugTeeny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BugTeeny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2010 at 1:50pm
My Dad (who lives in The States) sent over the entire Your Baby Can Read programme for Hannah's first birthday (I didn't ask for it). it's sat, unopened, in a cupboard since then (2 years). I'd forgotten about it until I saw the infomoercial the other day.

I decided to get it out and see how Hannah liked it.
She loves the flash cards and books, they're neat.

But the DVDs are P A I N F U L.
Bad American accents and cheesy music.
So unless you want your child to talk with an American accent I'd give it a miss
Hannah enjoys the DVDs, but they're a bit babyish for her.. more suited to the under 2s, I think.

I wouldn't spend my money on that stuff. Hannah's a TV watcher and loves Disney/Pixar movies.
By 12 months she had about 50 words. By 2 she was talking in 5 word sentences...

But she does love the books and flashcards.
Mucky_Tiger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mucky_Tiger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2010 at 1:50pm
the 'your baby can read set' is $399.
or you can buy it from here this site for $35.61 with free shipping and then put it on trademe if you hate it.

Plushie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plushie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2010 at 1:50pm
$399
High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2010 at 1:50pm
What is it??

I remember as a kid I had some computer games that were english and maths based but had a story to them but you had to work out different maths questions or english spelling, etc.

I loved reading though and my mum enjoyed reading to me and with me. I've been told it's important to read to them even if they don't seem interested because they are still hearing the words.

I think tv is ok, a Russian friend of mine learned English through Sesame Street.

And song's are good too. Or Rhymes.
Timmeh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timmeh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2010 at 2:02pm
Dam $399 , never catch wind of that on the ad , I suppose i could make the flash cards my self if i wanted to head down that road

I sing to Ella ( try to ) , i remember when i was a little boy we got taught rhymes for maths and English couldn't for the life of me remember them now shouldn't be to hard to find them
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2010 at 2:53pm
Tim you can buy some really good flash cards. My MIL was always buying them for the kids. I think that best way you can instil a love of books and reading into kids is to read to them from an early age. My husband has always read bed time stories and all my kids love reading and books and the not quite 3 yr old is always "reading" too.
High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2010 at 3:04pm
Lily's only 10mo but she already knows which books are her fave, I line them up in front of her and she knows which cover to pick and even points to objects on the page. (The Little Yellow Digger - she'll point out the diggers, the dog...) while she's not reading the words, she's reading the pictures and is def taking it in.
Hopes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hopes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2010 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by Bizzy Bizzy wrote:

i dont think that educationally there is any advantage to teaching your child to read at an early age.

My original post got deleted when this thread went missing, and there was another poster who I also quoted that's gone too - but the gist of what I said is that I agree with the above. It's only based on personal experience, but I started school at six, and while Mum and Dad had read to me lots, they hadn't put any work into teaching me to read. I picked it all up pretty fast and became an avid reader - I still do read a lot. I don't think it does any harm to teach toddlers to read, and if you think it would be fun, I'd say go for it, but I don't think it gives them any long-term advantage.

Timmeh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timmeh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2010 at 3:26pm
Ill be reading to Ella , I have heaps of children books and nursery rhymes books , i pretty much have the hole collection of those books with the Gold spine from the 80's , i kept them for this purpose but only problem is they are still in Hamilton i will have to sort that out after xmas .
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>