FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked? for all you ’horsey’ mums 2 be!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Emmecat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ? for all you ’horsey’ mums 2 be!
    Posted: 04 June 2010 at 4:02pm

Are you still horse riding while pg? I owned horses for half my life and only sold the last one when I got too involved in theatre perfomance to give the horses a few deal. But it's been bugging me more and more lately that I never got back into it.  Is it dumb to think I could take a few lessons to brush up on my skills again whilst pg? While I am an experienced rider, there has been a good 10 year gap with not much riding to speak of so am aware my ability has probably lessoned as well as my balance maybe lol.

Thoughts?

Sponsored Links

kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2010 at 4:06pm
I think you'll find most places won't want you to do it preg.
palomino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote palomino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2010 at 4:15pm
I stopped riding when i was, mainly because my girl is a young and i couldnt 100% be sure she wouldnt try any thing silly.

I would wait till baby is out, and have some great time out enjoying your time back in the saddle. Even with my 9 (well it was more like 12month) break i was sooo sore once i started riding again!
High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2010 at 4:30pm
Most places won't jic you fall, I know where I used to ride in Ohariu Valley they wouldn't let you.
Delli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Delli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2010 at 5:52pm
I rode early in my pregnancy (as in pre 10 weeks). I would have kept riding until it was no longer comfortable to except for the fact that my horse was in the North Island and I lived in the South Island! However, I wouldn't START riding in pregnancy - I would only continue riding if I had been riding regularly beforehand. Riding fitness has a lot to do with how well you stay on and it would suck to strain something during pregnancy when you don't have a lot of options for pain relief!

Emmecat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2010 at 6:15pm
hmmmmm I did wonder as much! I rode before I got pg with Clodagh and even then I thought ooww I haven't done this for a while lol  Oh well maybe I'll leave it till after I have the baby and heal etc. I miss it heaps, would love to get another horse one day and maybe get Clodagh a pony ....how young is too young to start riding (guess that's another topic really lol)?!

palomino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote palomino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2010 at 6:19pm
Brennan has his own mini horse

Emmecat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2010 at 6:21pm
lol that's so cute! How old is he there? I wondered if 3-ish was an ok age to start?

palomino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote palomino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2010 at 6:23pm
That was 2 weeks ago, so 17months
Emmecat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2010 at 6:24pm
Oh wow ok so I might reconsider 3 then! Thanks!

palomino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote palomino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2010 at 6:26pm
Id say by 2, at the moment he just sits there and hangs on and has enough after about 5mins.
kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2010 at 6:45pm
I got my pony at 4/5 (she was 14hh) and I had her til I was 14
High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2010 at 6:55pm
My friend started at 3 years
Plushie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plushie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2010 at 7:54pm
I wouldnt take up riding again, but i already have a horse and i will keep riding him with limits on myself....and even then only because he's now 18, i've had him for 8 years and we know each other inside out and i trust him not to try any silly tricks. No jumping or mad cross country gallops for me though.

And i fully intend to get my wee one a killer little shetland or welshie. I started when i was 3, started shows when i was 4, inhand classes
ALittleLoopy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALittleLoopy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2010 at 8:16pm

i wouldnt ride whilst preg as you just never know....i sold on my big horse when i got preg and bought a mini which will be charlottes pony as well as me showing her inhand...we plan to have charlotte on her around 2years they can go on as early as being able to sit by themselves and then u just hold them on until they learn to hold the saddle or mane....

minis are great company, mine doesnt need a cover and they NEVER need hard feeding as they run on the smell of grass lol SERIOUSLY!

CHEM 6/12+
palomino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote palomino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2010 at 8:20pm
They are awesome aye! I have 2 now, they are so addictive. Fun for mum to show, fun for when kid is older. Win win!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALittleLoopy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2010 at 8:22pm

HUNTD totally, i have my cuz down the road she has like 8 and breeds now shes a registered stud Smile

might steal her boy and sire my girl and get some more pintaloosas and then i can register them too...might be doing my first inhand shows this summer, depends if i have a cruisy bub or not lol

id like to breed some too...got my girl at 10months shes almost two now i think...id like about 4 one boy and three mares...i want palamino's

Edited by BAMN08

CHEM 6/12+
palomino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote palomino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2010 at 8:26pm
Cool, im doing my first shows this coming season too. Iv got a buckskin appaloosa that will be my show boy. They have so much more personality than big horses.

I should say about my pics above, we do normally have gear on, it was a spur of the moment pic in the paddock lol. and thats how docile/lazy my mare is.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALittleLoopy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2010 at 8:28pm

haha fair enough, ya dont need gear all the time really...i really want a catB to harness and cart!! THAT you can do safely while preg and is sooo much fun!!

my pintaloosa mare is CAT A...ill try and find a pic....shes got the mean fatty going on atm theres too much feed here and shes fluffy as but might fine a good pic of her when she was younger or clipped...

oopps sorry so taking over this thread

CHEM 6/12+
palomino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote palomino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2010 at 8:33pm
i know what you mean about fatty. We have had a drought up here, but still the minis are fat lol.

Sorry for thread jacking!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>