FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedFirst Timer anyone else?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 22>
Author
BDTM14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BDTM14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First Timer anyone else?
    Posted: 11 April 2012 at 10:40am
Well I just found out that Im preggers. Im 4 and a bit weekd. I found out last Thursday.

This is my first time being preggers. DP and I had been trying for about 2months. I so thought it would take a lot longer than than.

Anyone else here a first time Mum to be?
Sponsored Links

Shells79 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shells79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2012 at 1:08pm
I'm 10 weeks pregnant with twins. Also my first. So excited! Anyone else having twins?
BDTM14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BDTM14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2012 at 1:12pm
No idea yet...only 4/5 weeks...so wont know yet if I am having a single or multipule

how old are you shells?
Mamaof1babe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mamaof1babe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2012 at 3:47pm
Hey Girls, I'm 26 weeks along with our first, and am the same as you BDTM - I fell pregnant after trying for 2 months, came as quite a surprise, it took me a good couple of months to get used to it all, but am over the moon now, and can't wait to meet bub!
BecksT84 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BecksT84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2012 at 4:59pm
I'm a first time MTB too :) I'm 27, going on 28 in october lol.
anna1983 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anna1983 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2012 at 6:08pm
Yip, I'm all new to this (you might have already seen me on the Dec 12 babies forum). Gobsmacked as after we'd been trying for not much more than a week, I had breast enlargement and nausea. (I knew I was ovulating the day after we started tryiing, hubby randomly decided we should start trying then - does he have good timing or what? LOL) Within two weeks after that I'd seen my GP, had blood tests, and found a midwife, it's been crazy...and despite all that, still no guarantee for a few more weeks that there is even a heartbeat!
BDTM14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BDTM14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2012 at 6:49pm
Do you ladies find it hard knowing what to do in terms of what you can eat etc...and even what you can do in regards to like cleaning, beauty etc...
Like I am only 5 weeks so all very new to this all. Seeig my GP on the 24th as shes away til then and I would prefer to see her than some random.
Im thinking or rather hoping that she will send me for a dating scan soon as
BDTM14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BDTM14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2012 at 7:07pm
Also anyone watch the news tonight?
I missed what they were talking about in regards to upping the Maternity Leave payout
BDTM14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BDTM14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2012 at 8:07pm
As this is going to be DPs parents first grandchild I thought that giving them this poem with a photo of our dating scan would be cool to tell him them that we are pregnant. Might even give it to my mum and Dad too but change first grandchild to newest grandchild

Dear Grandpa & Grandma,

I do not have a face to see,
... Or put inside a frame.
I do not have soft cheeks to kiss.
I don't yet have a name.

Not yet can you hold my tiny hands,
Nor whisper in my ear.
It's still too soon to sing a song,
Or cuddle me so near.

But all that will change come this December;
When they say I am due.
I am your first grandchild;
And I can't wait until I meet you!

All I ask between now and then
Is your love for me to grow.
I promise I'll be worth the wait;
Just think of all the joy we'll know!

So as you're waiting patiently,
Please pray lots of prayers for me.
I cannot wait to be a part
Of this wonderful family
anna1983 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anna1983 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2012 at 8:14pm
Originally posted by BDTM14 BDTM14 wrote:

Do you ladies find it hard knowing what to do in terms of what you can eat etc...and even what you can do in regards to like cleaning, beauty etc...

My GP and then midwife both gave me a leaflet about food safety and nutrition - you can download them here:

http://www.foodsmart.govt.nz/information-for/pregnant-women/

Both booklets are downloadable on the menu to the right on this page.

I read through it a few times and am finding myself stopping to think a lot but particularly when eating out especially as I can't stop and say to my in-laws: I'm pregnant, did you wash your salad ingredients well?!

Some of the advice can be contradictory which makes it confusing - I've found a lot of people also adding to the MOH guidelines in those booklets with a whole lot of extra stuff - like some people say don't eat Subway because the salads are sitting around, while the American Pregnancy Association says make sure meat in your Subway is heated properly...

http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancycomplications/listeria.html

I don't know if I've got a handle on it all yet myself! Depends how paranoid you are a bit too.

The definites seem to be mostly about avoiding listeria - particularly wash raw foods well, don't leave out, reheat leftover meat well and use quickly, cook meat well, don't eat unpasteurised dairy...

As far as cleaning products, cosmetics, etc, I'm not sure...but I work in a lab so will be sure checking all those MSDSs!

Edited by anna1983
KcP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KcP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2012 at 10:33am
Food? I just use my common sense.. I dont eat subway normally anyway so no biggie for me. Its like deli meats - you want to avoid them. Otherwise, i check use by dates, eat food that been opened within a few days.. I dont listen so much the moh. Sure, i read the leftlet, but alot of the things there they were warning about are non applicable with most new zealand products (ie the soft cheeses)

Also, one piece of advice someone gave me was if you have been eating at a particular shop and have never had issues and you trust them, then there's no reason to stop eating there because you're pregnant.
Small family of three
TTC #1 4 years

BDTM14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BDTM14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2012 at 11:13am
I read that you cant eat peanuts as well
anna1983 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anna1983 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2012 at 11:35am
Originally posted by KcP KcP wrote:

Food? I just use my common sense.. I dont eat subway normally anyway so no biggie for me. Its like deli meats - you want to avoid them. Otherwise, i check use by dates, eat food that been opened within a few days.. I dont listen so much the moh. Sure, i read the leftlet, but alot of the things there they were warning about are non applicable with most new zealand products (ie the soft cheeses)

Also, one piece of advice someone gave me was if you have been eating at a particular shop and have never had issues and you trust them, then there's no reason to stop eating there because you're pregnant.

Yeah I'm trying not to be too paranoid - I trust Subway's food safety better than my own in terms of salads.

I have the advantage of not taking a whole lot of notice about the meats because I'm vegetarian - I'm just stewing about my protein, iron, calcium, B12 intake and so forth instead!

I've heard the peanut thing too but some sources say there's no real evidence that avoiding foods in case of allergies is beneficial, others say it depends on your allergy family history and how likely your baby is to develop allergies - there seem to be so many no-no's out there with varying degrees of actual evidence. I LOVE peanut butter and am carrying on eating it, although the morning sickness didn't mesh well with it this morning!

But yeah best do your own reading and talking to your LMC or GP about it if in doubt.

I think we just try to be sensible as you say and do the best we can, probably more likely to get hit by a bus while pregnant than contract listeria AND have it affect the baby. Then there are the people who don't know they're pregnant for ages and make no changes whatsoever for the whole first trimester and things turn out fine.

I read somewhere that after you find out you're pregnant suddenly daily life can feel like a minefield...I've felt a bit like that the last few weeks but I have a tendency towards anxiety and paranoia so I'm trying to be sensible :-) The minefield feeling is wearing off :-)

Edited by anna1983
BDTM14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BDTM14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2012 at 11:42am
yeah I think I need to just ease up a bit and not get so paraniod about the foods..I can't help it sometimes though you know

Like DP and I are heading out for dinner to a restaurant on Sat night and its like well what can I eat cos I dont know when they would have prepared some of the foods they cook. I think it will be okay though. We're heading to Vivace in town
anna1983 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anna1983 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2012 at 11:56am
Speaking of peanuts, and conflicting and confusing advice, check out:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-482750/Pregnant-women-told-eat-peanuts-protect-babies-allergies.html
Shells79 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shells79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2012 at 12:34pm
BDTM14

I'm 32
Shells79 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shells79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2012 at 12:37pm
Does anyone know if it's safe to colour your hair while pregnant?
BDTM14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BDTM14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2012 at 1:08pm
I heard somewhere that you couldnt because of all the chemicals
Mamaof1babe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mamaof1babe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2012 at 1:54pm
They say best not to colour your hair for the first twelve weeks, then you're safe
BDTM14 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BDTM14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2012 at 4:41pm
How far along is everyone?
When is your EDD?
Has everyone got their midwife yet?

Im 5 weeks today
EDD 12 Dec
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 22>