FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHow Would You React? WWYD?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
MaeBeeBaby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaeBeeBaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How Would You React? WWYD?
    Posted: 07 February 2010 at 8:20pm
SORRY this is long. I can't really condense it as I need to type it as it happened.

So last night we were at my Mum and step-dad's for a bbq with some friends of theirs, mostly family, but a few others that she had invited.

In walks German hubby and wife (in their 50's), and teenage son. Limited English. Mum said they don't have many friends in the area, but have been here four years.

So we went out onto Mum's massive lawn (they are farmers) and had a wee game of bowls - lawn bowls - very lovely darling kinda thing - was a hoot. It was really hot though, and I was melting with a bit of a headache due to bad AF. So I stood in the shade and watched the 10 people split off into two teams of 5 and cheered them on.

German lady comes over and says they are looking at buying a section and cause I work for the 'X' company they are buying through can I drop any hints - NO I can't (not permitted, not able, different town etc). But I continued to make small talk with her about her house plans.

Then absolutely OUT OF THE BLUE she looks down at my stomach and PATS IT and says in her limited English 'you are trying to have baby this year, no? In my country many people try for baby, get adoption, and then end up having baby, so anything is possible'. I started to say to her 'ummmm SORRY we don't talk about this!!!' when she was walking away as it was her turn to bowl.

I stood there like the wind had been knocked out of me, and started hyperventilating (I do that when shocked/stunned beyond belief, lately it's been when I have seen my 12 week scans not having a live foetus... just to give you some idea of the kind of shock that brings it on) - my husband was playing but something made him look over at me and he came over and I burst into tears - he said 'what's wrong', I said 'SHE KNOWS ABOUT ME' and he quickly took me inside where we were just both so shocked once I relayed the conversation.

Mum had been yelling over at us 'what's wrong, are you okay' as we walked inside. She came in and I asked her WHY she had told a complete stranger about my conception problems. She said it was moreso that she had been asked (and always gets asked cause she is 60) if she has grand-children. She said that she had spoken to this lady a wee bit about my troubles cause apparently this lady had lost one also many years ago.

Now I am not angry with my Mum because I think she now realises how this kind of thing can come back to bite her in the @rse as she saw firsthand how affected by it I was. And I can understand that she too must get quite sad/annoyed when constantly being asked that question. But I was inconsolable. The only reason we didn't leave then and there is cause it was over an hour's drive to get there, plus I wanted to see my Mum, stepdad and my younger brothers and their young wives too (all childless at this stage, through choice, early 20's and all that).

Hence to say I avoided that lady for the rest of the evening and I told Mum today that I NEVER want to see her again, I am not surprised she has not got many friends in the area as she is just RUDE.

There was an Asian lady with my brother and his wife, she was staying with them, she looks about 18 (as they do!) and she is actually 27. This German lady also went at her like a bull at a gate with 'how old are YOU' and that was it - no follow up or explanation as to why she had asked. I guess it's just her way but I am sorry I don't think there is any excuse for RUDENESS, no matter what your nationality is!

How would you have reacted if a complete stranger had come up to you and changed the subject on you so swiftly and made it so personal?

I just wish I had managed to get my point across before she went off to play her round, but I was just gobsmacked!

Edited by MaebeeBaby
Sponsored Links

lostAmber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lostAmber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2010 at 8:30pm
I would have reacted as you did MB. Burst into tears. It's such a personal matter and personal struggle and people just don't get that. And not to over generalise here, but Germans do have an approach that we consider rude. If she hadn't of gone off to have her shot I probably would have told her that this conversation was over, and that you would not be discussing your fertility issues with her. Thank her for her concern and walk away.
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2010 at 8:45pm
Yeah I can see why you got upset as for us someone speaking like that when they don't know you is shocking and does seem very rude. I don't think rudeness would of been her intention though, she was probably trying to make conversation/be nice, but in a German way.

I haven't been in your shoes so hard to say what I would have done, I have worked alongside Germans (and Fins, whose mannerism are similar) through work so am I bit more used to how they can be, but still around something so sensitive I think I most likely would have still got upset.

caliandjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2010 at 9:39pm
I don't blame you for being upset, I was seething when my Dad's new wife said he'd give us the money for IVF if we wanted it, its not something you can just throw money at.

BTW not all Germans are like that my german friends are lovely, it was probably just her.

Poor you big hugs to you MB, you seem to be having a rough time of it.
GuestGuest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GuestGuest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2010 at 9:50pm
That sucks and if I was in your situation I would be mad at your mother for discussing your extremely personal affairs with someone you don't know.

In saying that I don't think the woman was trying to be rude, more trying to make conversation and not realising 1. how upset you were about it and 2. how to broach the subject well in English. In my experience (completely generalising here) I have found Germans to be very blunt and to the point in their conversation style.
Shezzey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shezzey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2010 at 9:54pm

MB.... I tend to internally cringe when anyone I dont know asks how many children I have etc and dont dwell on that topic for long.   I would be more upset with the person (family, friend or even DP!) that shared my history with others rather than the person who mentioned something.

I think the lady was trying to sympathise with you but her timing may have been wrong.

Edited by Shezzey
kelzie_rose View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kelzie_rose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2010 at 9:58pm
I would have been upset too, but I somewhat see how your Mum was feeling, but I still feel she shouldn't have said anything.

I told the people in my team at work (4 people) about my m/c and it got out to the whole workplace (about 60 people) and I had a word to the people I told. They were all very apologetic.

Keep persevering. Don't punish your Mum, she'll be a mega support person when you're pregnant, she wants this as much as you do xx

Started TTC Apr 2008
With PCOS and a bicornuate uterus

Our angel babies
Jan 2010 <3
Oct 2010 <3
Apr 2011 <3
tishy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tishy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2010 at 9:59pm
Originally posted by cuppatea cuppatea wrote:

Yeah I can see why you got upset as for us someone speaking like that when they don't know you is shocking and does seem very rude. I don't think rudeness would of been her intention though, she was probably trying to make conversation/be nice, but in a German way.

I haven't been in your shoes so hard to say what I would have done, I have worked alongside Germans (and Fins, whose mannerism are similar) through work so am I bit more used to how they can be, but still around something so sensitive I think I most likely would have still got upset.

cuppateas post pretty much sums up my thoughts on it.

On a side note when I was pg with twins, I was asked the following by random strangers:
- Are they through IVF?
- Will you be BF'ing them?
- Do you know the sex?
- Have you picked out names?

In Ireland no one would think of asking ANY of those questions and especially not to a random stranger.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that every nationality has a different idea on what's considered a private / sensitive matter.
I just think it's unfortunate that the lady hasn't made more of an effort to be aware of what's those topics are in NZ.
mamanee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamanee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 February 2010 at 11:39pm
I have not been in your shoes, so can't really relate but I wouldn't have been offended.   (Although I am not easily offended anyway, stiff upper lip english family and all that).

I think with her limited English and coming from a different culture it just came out a little differently, but not intentionally rude IYKWIM.    What she said wasn't overly personal really. Very personal to you I get that, but she can't have known your full story so probably had no idea of your personal struggle or everything you have been through.   She was probably just trying to be nice or make conversation.

Sorry, I just can't see anything wrong with it, (other than the patting you on the stomach thing, but she might have different personal boundaries to other people) I think you took it way too personally and overreacted.

People can't really make you feel that way unless you let them and unless it's intentionally hurtful or cruel, then I would just shrug it off or walk away and try not to let it get to me.    It probably didn't need to ruin your whole evening.

Also, this is just my opinion, and you can take it with a grain of salt as I'm not trying to offend you.    Everybody reacts differently to different situations and if you're ok with your reaction, then that's fine.

Edited by mamanee
freckle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freckle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2010 at 7:29am
mamanee - I think the fact that she mentioned adoption implies she knows some of the struggle that MB has had... I would be upset too both at her and my mum. I also agree with Tishy it is a shame she hasn't made more of an effort to learn what is appropriate to say considering she has been here 4 years!
mum to 3 lovely girls :D

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaeBeeBaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2010 at 7:32am
Originally posted by mamanee mamanee wrote:

I think with her limited English and coming from a different culture it just came out a little differently, but not intentionally rude IYKWIM.    What she said wasn't overly personal really. Very personal to you I get that, but she can't have known your full story so probably had no idea of your personal struggle or everything you have been through.   She was probably just trying to be nice or make conversation.

My Mum had told her of my situation - 4 mc's, one very recent.

It didn't ruin my whole evening, cause I avoided her and spent time with my family and other friends of Mum's and her DH's that I really like and get on well with - and even though they also know my full situation (because I have spent a lot of time with these people and know they have helped Mum through it all which has been brilliant for Mum), they never brought up the topic at all.

No offence to anyone but I always find that in these kinds of situations it is those who don't have children who can see a different side to those who do. Neither is right or wrong, it's just how we all see things differently that's all. Which is why I asked WWYD in this situation, so I am not arguing with anyone's opinion.

I usually 'hold my own' pretty well at times like this but it was a complete stranger versus a complete change in topic from something impersonal to very personal - WTF?!?

Also the mere fact that when she touched my stomach and I leaped backwards in shock should have alerted her that I wasn't comfortable with that to start with... and then she opened her gob...

I wasn't happy with my reaction at all - in hindsight I wish I had slapped her!

Edited by MaebeeBaby

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaeBeeBaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2010 at 7:33am
Helloooooooooooooo Freckle
freckle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freckle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2010 at 7:57am
hey Maebeeeee

I think you're probably right when ya say you get a different reaction from people with kids to those without.. previously i got preggo very easily and until this 13 months of ttc I truly didn't understand how hard and all consuming it can be ttc and it not happening! I think I have some insight into it now but know that I will never understand fully how hard it can be IYGWIM....
mum to 3 lovely girls :D

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaeBeeBaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2010 at 8:01am
IGWYM

Edited by MaebeeBaby
sem View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2010 at 8:21am
Sorry I hit send before I was finished...

Hi MB - so sorry this has happend to you. As I am german myself I feel the need to appologise for this womans benaviour! What a cow and how rude.
Appart from that all I can say is that maybe she used the wrong words in what she was trying to say. But that still does not explan why anybody would go up to a complete stranger and start this as a conversation. I asume your mum would have told her about your struggles and that you find it difficult to deal with this.

Can I say, I am also very direct and get myelf into trouble because of that. But she has taken it a few steps to far!
Here we go again, another baby on it's way!
emz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2010 at 9:13am
Heya,

That must have been so hard for you No I haven't been through what you've been through, but I do feel for you and do think it was wrong for your mother to tell that woman everything. My mum did tell some close friends that we were having 'issues' but that was it.

As for the woman, probably a combination of culture and language issues came into play there. Probably best to just avoid her a bit, like you did.

Hugs hun! Definitely not in the same league, but I used to have my cousin complaining about it taking 2 months to get pg with both of her kids and how she 'knew how I felt' even though we went through fertility treatment etc. Some people like to relate, but just don't get it.
Ceres View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ceres Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2010 at 10:46am
How horrible, I think I would have probably reacted similarly. It was totally out of line for the lady to bring up such a personal issue, even if your mum had confided in her about it. I think you're obviously a pretty strong person to have stuck around for the rest of the evening after having such an emotional slap in the face.

People can be so completely tactless and (often unintentially I suspect) cruel when it comes to talk of pregnancy and babies. To some extent I think we have to not take it to heart, and not take it as a personal slight, because I truly believe what comes out of people's mouths at times is often just not well-thought out. For those of us who have to endure a tougher road than most to parenthood, whilst in general I think we learn to develop a tough'ish skin to comments, it's not always easy to hide how much it can hurt. And again, I think what that lady said was totally totally out of line. It's bad enough when family get too personal with questioning, let alone a stranger.
caliandjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2010 at 10:55am

I def feel for you MB, I know personally the longer TTC is taking the more sensitive I get about people asking questions, and I haven't had it nearly as tough as you, its really difficult not to overreact, as its such a sensitive topic I find it difficult enough when family members ask about when were having children etc would be really peeved if it was someone I'd never met.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaeBeeBaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2010 at 4:33pm
Hey thanks everyone! Good to see both sides!

Kiwi_baby - as for Germans.... definitely no problem with Germans 'in general' which I am sure you have realised.

I have a German friend (who I have to add is the most amazingly gorgeous woman I have ever ever seen!!!) and she is direct, but certainly not rude! She was appalled also and promised me it's not usual 'German behaviour'!

I am okay with it now - probably cause I will never see her again - I made Mum promise never to let her near me again!

And I don't blame my Mum, she also needed someone to talk to, which is fair enough as she has been very affected by this as well, first grandchild in the making 'nearly 4 times' so I do understand why she needed to talk to someone - BUT she now knows that it is a very sensitive subject for me still and will be more careful in future - even if she just says to people that she has spoken to that it IS a sensitive subject and if they ever meet me, then don't let on!
becky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote becky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2010 at 9:22pm
Hey that must have been very hard for you Maebeebaby. I think that people in general think its ok to talk about pregnancy and all that goes along with it, without really thinking about how it feels for those people IYGWIM!
I remember when we told DP parents that we were thinking about TTC that they gave us a lecture about whether we were ready etc then went on to tell their entire family and anyone else who would listen. We had random family members commenting on us thinking about having children! My heart goes out to you as I do know the heartache you go through when you lose a much wanted baby hugs to you

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>