FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedThermometers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
fire_engine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fire_engine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thermometers
    Posted: 08 February 2010 at 8:09pm
I've started temping to try and get a grip on my completely random cycle.

Do I have to have a specific thermometer or will my regular digital one do? If it has to be a specific BBT one, what's the reason for that?

TIA
Mum to two wee boys
Sponsored Links

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fire_engine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2010 at 8:12pm
Ah, Dr Google answers ...

How the Basal Thermometer and Regular Thermometer Differ

There is a distinct difference between the basal thermometer and the regular thermometer. The basal thermometer measures basal body temperature by 10th’s of a degree whereas the regular thermometer measures your temperature by whole degrees only. It is important to note however that a digital thermometer will work for individuals desiring to measure their basal body temperature. The reason why you should use a basal thermometer to measure ovulation is that it is more exact and narrows down the temperature to a more precise number than a regular thermometer.

So I'll keep using my regular one (which shows to a 10th of a degree).
Mum to two wee boys
freckle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freckle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2010 at 8:20pm
a normal old digital one should be fine I find it's accurate enough to show the thermal shift... So ya gonna come join us in the charting thread
mum to 3 lovely girls :D

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fire_engine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2010 at 8:39pm
When I pluck up the guts
Mum to two wee boys
freckle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freckle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2010 at 8:47pm
ohhhh don't be afraid we're a lovely bunch most the time LOL...come join us
mum to 3 lovely girls :D
jessm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jessm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2010 at 8:49pm
I don't think I agree with Dr Google. My understanding was that a BBT thermometer measuered to 2 decimal places, while a regular one measured to 1 d.p. I didn't know any thermometers measuered to whole degrees only - except maybe cooking ones!

I'm just using a normal one & it works fine. Not as accurate but plenty enough to see the shift, as said.
Hopes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hopes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2010 at 5:45pm
Yea, I only ever used a standard one, and it was easy to see the trends in my graphs. A BBT would have been a nice extra, but I had a normal one, and didn't want to bother spending the extra money.

mummyofprinces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummyofprinces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2010 at 5:54pm
Yup normal digi worked for me.. i would keep using it and if you find you have flatish temps with out a big shift you might need a BBT as the extra decimal place may help ....

tarns View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tarns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2010 at 8:03pm
I spent the $$ and got a BBT but never liked it ....it was random...I could take my temp 3 times in a row and get 3 different temps! (and not slightly different either) My trusty digital gave me 3 identical readings so I have stuck with that. It works perfectly fine

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fire_engine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2010 at 9:17pm
I'm sticking with the regular one for now. Two days in a row with 36.5 - we'll see what happens tomorrow.
Mum to two wee boys
mcshort View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mcshort Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2010 at 6:31pm
If you go to Natural Fertility meetings, they sell those cream/beige coloured digital ones which cost $15 or so. If they trust them I guess then so do I!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fire_engine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 February 2010 at 7:46pm
I've ended up buying a BBT for $23 at the pharmacy. My normal one was taking up to 5 minutes to read and was plateauing on 36.5.
Mum to two wee boys
first View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote first Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2010 at 1:12pm
I have a digital one but it always gives me the exact same reading of 36.2 so I'm going to get me a new one.

Post Reply Post Reply