FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedAny Book Recommendations?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MaeBeeBaby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaeBeeBaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any Book Recommendations?
    Posted: 09 February 2010 at 6:59pm
(I seem to be starting a few topics lately - sorry!)

I thought it would be a good idea if we did a book recommendation sticking to the topic of TTC. If we could all write the title/author and a brief explanation, and why we found it particularly good, I think a topic like this could help others.

I have two books I want to recommend:

'Conquering Infertility' by Dr Alice Domar.
'A mind/body guide to enhancing fertility and coping with infertility'.
I was introduced to this book by my fertility counsellor at Repromed after mc #2. There are many chapters in here which are just so relevant to anyone TTC 'Coping When Everyone But You Has A Baby'; 'Turning to Family and Friends For Support'; 'Why Won't God Give Me A Baby'; 'A Toolbox Full of Coping Skills' just to name a few. You don't have to be 'infertile' to benefit from this book, just TTC can be enough stress all on it's own and can bring about it's own areas of concern. This book has some fantastic coping tools for all of us in the TTC situation.

'Is Your Body Baby-Friendly?' By Alan E Beer, MD
'Unexplained Infertility, Miscarriage, and & IVF Failure Explained. What to do when your immune system says "no" to pregnancy. Tests and treatments to help you conceive and carry to term".
I have just started reading this book and the reason I bought it was because this doctor has dedicated over 25 years to finding explanations for previously unexplained fertility. He puts them into 5 categories of immune problems that cause reproductive failure. This book has a section in it that is of particular interest to me about Natural Killer Cells, which I am convinced I have, and am now doing a medicated cycle as if I do have NKC's.

This book has chapters on 'Helping to Explain the Unexplained', 'The Immune System'; 'Tissue Type Compatibility'; 'Blood-Clotting Defects'; 'Immunity to Pregnancy'; 'Antibodies to Sperm'; 'Natural Killer Cells'; 'Antibodies to Hormones and Neurotransmitters'; 'Hope for Older Mums-to-Be'; Comprehensive Immune Testing'; 'Toxic Pregnancy'; 'Toxins Eating at Our Health', plus more.

I bought both books from Amazon, brand new condition, for approx $NZ30 incl postage (the postage is the killer!).

Anyone else got any recommendations?
Sponsored Links

freckle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freckle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2010 at 7:22pm
great idea MB!! I wish I had some to contribute but most of what I have read has been from internet and journal articles...
mum to 3 lovely girls :D
caliandjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2010 at 7:48pm
I got a book from the library called sub-fertility it was written by a naturopath, I'll have a look next time I go there, I found it really interesting and helpful for people like me that don't have any 'medical' reasons for not conceiving.
tarns View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tarns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2010 at 8:03pm
After having some worries re TTC (age, endometriosis predominately) once I did get pg I discovered that many pregnancy books seems to have sections on reasons for infertility etc...I was amazed...never thought to look in a pregnancy book for info on why I wasn't pregnant LOL
newme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2010 at 8:25pm
I would recommend 'Taking Charge of Your Fertility' by Toni Weschler.
It is brilliant at explaining how fertility to works and natural ways to make you more fertile and increase your chances of conceiving.
MaeBeeBaby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaeBeeBaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2010 at 8:44pm
Hila - I have that book, and also the DVD software (Ovusoft) for charting! But I find FF easier cause then all you ladies can see my chart. I didn't manage to upload my Ovusoft one very easily!
 Post Reply Post Reply