FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBlood tests for 13 m.o.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
monikah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monikah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blood tests for 13 m.o.
    Posted: 11 June 2010 at 7:13pm
Has anyone else had blood tests for their young kids. I dont mind that it will hurt or anything but how do they possibly manage getting a decent amount of blood without the kid making it impossible. over the last few weeks Mack has been getting sleepier and sleepier so he is getting full bloods done 2mrw but im just trying to find out how they do it so i know what to expect.

Sponsored Links

gmunster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmunster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2010 at 7:44pm

Monikah - Amelie had them done at 4 months and they needed about 10 mls for all the bloody stuff they were testing for. They generally use whats called a broken needly (lierally a sharp needle at one end and broken off at the other end) they can use a light to see the vein and for Amelie they used her hand. Had a couple of goes but once they had it the blood flowed easily. If yer wee man is on the larger side then it is entirely possible that they will use a butterfly needle in a vein in his middle arm also.

Good luck!

blondy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2010 at 8:06pm
we had Nat's first blood test at about 7months, and because it was a full allergy panel, they took about 10mL. Really simple butterfly needle into the vein at her elbow - we've almost always had great phlebotomists (had to have the same test done about 5 times now). They usually get you to hold them on your knee (arms around their chest), one phlebotomist will hold their arm straight, and the other do the needle thing.

Try and go to a really busy collection centre, as they will have infant-experienced people there. Last time we went to a different place, and the lady suggested doing a finger prick for 10mL which would have taken at least 30mins of pain for Nat, so I (rudely) said no way, and asked her to get it from her vein (which she did thank goodness! - and it all went fine, but I think she was a bit apprehensive)

Good luck - generally the whole thing is over within a couple of minutes.
sarahm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sarahm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2010 at 8:09pm
Floyd has an immune disorder so had to have so many blood tests done I lost count!! (two a week at one stage for 6 weeks )
The first few times they did it like a heal prick, he hated that as it took a while to get enough blood.
They then did it in his finger, they pricked his finger with a lancet then squeezed to get the blood out, the tubes they use for littlies are tiny, less than a ml if its just a full blood count. the trick is to make sure his finger is really warm first as this makes the blood flow a lot faster. With Floyd they filled up a glove with hot water and I would make him think he was playing with it when in fact I was trying to make his inger warm if that makes sense!
I would call the lab first to see if they have a staff member who is experienced in working with children. We found a gret lady who could gert enough blood in less than a minute.....we also came across shockers that took over ten minutes and were terrible!!!   Hope that helps
emz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2010 at 11:45pm
Jack started getting his at 13mo (they went for 5 months - 2-daily, then weekly )

First of all, I'm a firm believer in asking for Emla cream for little ones. The hospitals have huge supplies of them. If they don't have it though, just make sure you pin him down well, they can move amazingly quick and hard if you haven't got every extremity tied down.

Sometimes it's easy, sometimes not. Jack always had issues with getting enough, so they had to prick him a few times each visit. I always found the hand the best, although it's more painful.

As for how much, they usually take 3-4 vials for a general screen, as they need different amounts for different tests (some tests can be done together, some apart). We always went for the magic 4ml for neutrophils, as sometimes they took less which meant we'd have to go back for more bloods.

Most places are great with dealing with kids if they are a bigger place - lots of toys, cool stickers, lollies, whatever works. I hope that it's something simple and he doesn't need too many
Laurz_20 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laurz_20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2010 at 8:15am
Zara's had a blood test every week since she was born, when she was under 8 months they took it from her heel but now from her finger, it takes the nurse about 10 mins to get the necessary blood,(its for thyroid so they take about 4 vials, they are so much smaller than adult ones).
Its seems to me by reading everyones posts that it depends on the lab as to how they take the blood. Hope all goes well:)
monikah View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monikah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2010 at 1:50pm
it wasnt as hard as i thought. yay. i held him across the chest, another nurse was there in case he moved quick and they took blood the same way as they do with adults. 5 vaccuum tubes i think but no dramas :) phew

Post Reply Post Reply