FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked*Possible TMI* Did u Perineal Massage?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ALittleLoopy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALittleLoopy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: *Possible TMI* Did u Perineal Massage?
    Posted: 27 July 2010 at 6:01pm

Hi guys, just wondering how many of you have tried perineal massage and when you gave birth did you still tear?? and how badly??

Im thinking of starting perineal massage from this week, just 2-3 times a week and am planning a water birth, my only fear for labour is tearing so am trying as much as i can to help prevent that. Any other suggestions would be kool as well Big smile

thanks in advance ladies

CHEM 6/12+
Sponsored Links

flakesitchyfeet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flakesitchyfeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2010 at 6:36pm
Okay. TMI as well (And sorry to batge in Bamn08), but can anyone tell me.... *ahem*....how?

I'm a little too scared to google.
http://eggsineachbasket.blogspot.com/
SpecialK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2010 at 6:48pm
Lol Flake There are quite detailed instructions in The NZ Pregnancy Book, p199. I think having lots of sex in the last few weeks would do the same thing.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALittleLoopy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2010 at 6:48pm

youtube has a few good midwifery demo videos and also my NZ pregnancy book has a couple of pics and instructions ...

flake haha thats why i put possible TMI as i wasnt sure if people would describe it etc

CHEM 6/12+
T_Rex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2010 at 6:51pm
Flake my MW gave me a page of diagrams, lol.

I did it from 30 weeks but had an episiotomy and an internal tear. We think I would have been fine though if she hadn't had to be vonteused out in a rush.
NikkiB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NikkiB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2010 at 6:55pm
I also did it from 30 weeks and had no tearing. From memory, I used a little bit of oil while I did it, but can't for the life of me think what oil I used.
A very lucky mummy to two gorgeous boys:
RB 3/10/2008
JB 29/12/2009
weegee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weegee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2010 at 7:02pm
SpecialK I kinda figure the same thing Gloria Lemay has a great post on her blog which mentions it here

Mum to JJ, 4 July 2008 & Addie, 28 July 2010
weegee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weegee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2010 at 7:03pm
(oh, there are detailed instructions in Marie Mongan's Hypnobirthing book too)

Mum to JJ, 4 July 2008 & Addie, 28 July 2010
flakesitchyfeet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flakesitchyfeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2010 at 7:21pm
Originally posted by SpecialK SpecialK wrote:

] Lol Flake There are quite detailed instructions in The NZ Pregnancy Book, p199. I think having lots of sex in the last few weeks would do the same thing.

Sweet as. That'll do. I only had a whatever the least degree tear was last time so I'm not too concerned, but it still went a bit awol so poor dear hubby's still getting a workout in advance.
http://eggsineachbasket.blogspot.com/
Red View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2010 at 7:27pm
I didn't - but had a waterbirth and had only had a bit of a surface tear which didn't need any stitches, so hopefully that will work a bit in your favour as well.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALittleLoopy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2010 at 9:32pm

RED glad the water also helped...

i was told oliveoil is ok to use for Perineal massage...what have you used?

Im starting it at 34weeks as thats what the book said, im amazed at how many of you started it round 30weeks...

CHEM 6/12+
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2010 at 10:50pm
I contemplated it...that's as far as I got. I'm lucky I'm stretchy lol
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2010 at 7:47am
I wish I had but mw never mentioned it and I never really researched it much. My mum tore and so did my gran and they sorta said you can't avoid it. I tore but only a little bit and the mw was telling me something when I was pushing about avoiding tears...
_SMS_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _SMS_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2010 at 10:35am
i didnt but i wish i did, and i will be next time.

I got an info leaflet about it from antinatel class lol
JessDub View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JessDub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2010 at 10:51am
I didn't. The idea didn't appeal and my MW said something along the lines of ugh, why would you want to be all loose and stretchy BEFORE you've had the baby.

But I did get an internal tear and there isn't anything you can do to prevent that.

caliandjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2010 at 10:56am

Any vegetable oil will be ok Nic, sweet almond is the best for any form of massage, olive will work fine as well. (Sweet almond has the closest PH to human skin which is why massage therapists use it.)

[/url]

Angel June 2012
Emmecat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2010 at 12:19pm

I did but not often enough obviously as I got 2nd degree tears...oowwee

Thought this time I might try taking EPO internally IYKWIM

Turtle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 July 2010 at 2:45pm
I did but had a ventouse delivery and ended up having a episiotomy and tore, but I'd had an epidural by then and couldn't feel it

I just used olive oil as I had a little mini sample bottle which I kept beside the bed - I was too cheap to buy the almond oil!
 Post Reply Post Reply