FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHyperthyrodism in pregnancy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
denny25 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote denny25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hyperthyrodism in pregnancy
    Posted: 31 March 2012 at 4:19pm
I'm 12 weeks pregnant and last week (after almost 7 weeks of feeling terrible, vomiting, all day nausea, night sweats, fatigue and losing weight), I was diagnosed with overactive thyroid.

I went into hospital on Thursday (at the request of my midwife) to get an ECG (which was ok) and more bloods to test for anitbodies. I wont get the results of the bloods for a week or so.

Long story short...I am scared out of my mind! If antibiodies are present it means I have Graves Disease, and if there are no antibodies, it means it is pregnancy induced hyperthyroidism.

If its pregnancy induced, no biggie, it should go by itself with no treatment. On the other hand, if it is Graves, I'll need to be monitored by the high risk maternity unit at Akl Hospital and go on drugs etc and there are risks to the baby and myself. I'm trying not to think the worst, but my mother had Graves Disease plus I am HLAB27 positive, which means I have a greater chance of developing autoimmune diseases such as Graves.

I'm interested to learn if anyone else has developed Graves in pregnancy and how it was treated etc.
Sponsored Links

Guest_66521 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guest_66521 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2012 at 8:59pm

Hi there denny25, I have graves disease and I am 21 weeks pregnant. I have been on carbimazole tablets right up until last week. I was on a high dose when first pregnant then half a dose and just come off the lowest dose. It's better for your baby that your thyroid is under control and I have had  lots of wonderful medical staff look after me. If your graves is under control my doctor has said the baby will be fine:) They just monitor you a bit more which is really good. My baby is small but it's not related to the thyroid condition or medication. I am with the High risk maternity unit at Auckland and they are awesome. I had Graves disease before I was pregnant and was quiet sick but much better now.

Let me know how you get on x

Hopes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hopes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2012 at 6:01am
I have Graves disease. I'm in remission at the moment, but it flared up again during my pregnancy with DD (she's now three months old). In my case, while my levels rose, it was thought (and I agreed) that it wasn't worth going back on carbimazole at the time. My pregnancy was just really closely monitored (which meant I got to see lots of the baby . It was confirmed she was a girl about five times (I just wanted to be sure, and I was having the scans...)).

When my daughter was born, she was closely monitored to make sure that she hadn't developed thyroid abnormalities in response to my abnormal levels. So far, there haven't been any problems detected. I am planning on a Drs visit soon, it's been playing on my mind that she's growing like topsy (she was only 9lb 1oz at birth, so big but not giant, but now she's huge). I want to check that she's not for some reason struggling with hypothyroidism as a result of the imbalance (I've heard it can go either way). I very much doubt she is, though, as she's very long and tall as well as very plump, I think she's just on good pasture, as people keep telling me.

I know that it's all a bit scary, but don't worry, chances are everything will work out just fine. Graves is very treatable nowdays, and when you're being closely monitored (like it sounds like you are) the risks to the baby are really very small. It's a funny one, Graves, because it's so deadly for both you and the baby undiagnosed, but so easily managed and 'safe' (if that's the right word) when it's been picked up.

Hopes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hopes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2012 at 6:07am
Of course, since you posted this a few weeks ago (sorry, I didn't see it earlier) you'll probably have results now - how did they come back?

denny25 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote denny25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 April 2012 at 1:07pm
Well unfortunately the Hospital stuffed up my bloods and didn't order the antibody test so I had to redo it and wait another 2 weeks!

The good news is tho, that my T3 and T4 levels are lower so they are thinking that it is gestational thyrotoxicosis now rather than Graves.

Will keep you updated
 Post Reply Post Reply