FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedGetting ready to TTC

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Katrina1978 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katrina1978 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Getting ready to TTC
    Posted: 14 April 2013 at 9:33am
Hi all,
New member here. My husband and I are seriously thinking about TTC however there's one slight issue. I'd like to be a healthy weight before getting pregnant and at the moment I am far from it.
I've pretty much always struggled with my weight since I went through puberty. It's yo-yo'd thanks to weight gain from being on prednisone, weight loss from gall stones, weight gain from quitting smoking etc etc etc. I think the lightest I've ever been was 65 kilos (that was just before the prednisone kicked in, which I had to take due to having Crohn’s disease, which is under control and I'm not currently taking any medication for), then my weight sky rocketed and I went up to 120 something kg's.
The moment DH proposed to me my very first thought was I need to lose weight; I didn't want to be a fat bride. After being engaged for nearly two years and no wedding date set I joined Weight Watchers (I wasn't getting married until I knew I'd be thin). The weight was starting to come off; I thought it would be safe to set a date. I ended up losing 16 kilos. We got married. However I was a fat bride Because I'd lost the bulk of the weight on their old plan, then they changed plans and the new one seemed too awkward, I could never eat within my points limit and my meeting leader wasn't at all interested in helping me figure it out so I quit going.
That was about 1.5 years ago. Since then I've gone on a short course for healthy eating/cooking (Appetite for Life) and even tried duromine for a very short time (I felt way too sick to continue so was only on it for about 2 weeks). My weight is going up again, I can just tell by how my clothes are fitting (or should I say struggling to fit). I haven't gone near the scales since taking duromine (early March) but I'd say I'd be in the early to mid 90's (kgs).
I'm 34, DH is 32. This would be our first child and I've never been pregnant before, I’ve got absolutely no idea what my fertility is like. I do kinda feel the pressure of the "clock ticking", I’d never planned on waiting this long to have children. I myself have older parents so know what it’s like and I’d hoped all my baby making was done by now, not just beginning. I have always been quite maternal and clucky and have found it very hard that I've had to wait this long to have a child. DH and I met in our late 20s. I wasted the better part of my 20's with a loser.   I've had other friends who have had babies and it's broken my heart to watch them go through such a beautiful/wonderful experience. Heck I even cried when Rachel had her baby on Friends! My silly younger brother must feel a need to repopulate the world or something as he is up to child number two with mother number two (two children from two different females). My family were hesitant to tell me when his partner was expecting his second child because they knew how upset I'd get. I got even more upset because they tried to keep it from me for so long.
I've warbled on for far too long, my main reason for posting is that what I can't get is I would love to have a child so badly yet I still can't seem to get the motivation to eat right and exercise. You would think something I feel so passionately about and can upset me so greatly would give me more than enough motivation. I just don't get it!
Sponsored Links

ooEvaoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ooEvaoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2013 at 12:34pm
Katrina....I am pretty much in the same boat!, except I have a whole lot more weight to lose. Am down 2kgs so far...so it's a start. But I am definitely hung up on the goal of.....I want to be a healthy weight before I have my next baby. I definitely didn't think I'd wait so long between children, my son is 6yo now. But there has always been something in the way...the main was completing my degree (which I did almost 1.5 years ago) and then it was always....the weight thing. I have been putting it off and off and off for so long. Yet I soooooo long for another baby.
 So now I have two goals that should keep me motivated....getting married Nov 2014 and to have our next baby. I also don't want to be a fat bride...and I really do need to get on top of this weight for the health, and I've been told it'll help with my next pregnancy. Here's hoping I keep on at it!

We can do this :)

Edited by ooEvaoo - 06 May 2013 at 12:37pm

T_Rex View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T_Rex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2013 at 7:25pm
Seems to me you have a choice to make... Ttc now whilst losing weight and risk getting preggers right away and being a fat pregnant woman, or lose the weight and then TTC and risk being a thin woman who has left it too late to conceive.

I know what i would chose, I'd rather miss my chance to be thin than my chance to be a mum. There is no reason you can't lose weight post babies either. I find it quite pleasant chatting to my kids as I run with the pram :)
ooEvaoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ooEvaoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2013 at 9:38pm
lol T-Rex that is so true! When it happens it's meant to happen right? So yea why not have fun *wink wink" whilst losing weight and let nature/God do their thing. Yea why put one on hold just to fulfil the other....can still keep up the exercise and healthy eating during pregnancy.....and at least I know I won't feel so down about getting AF or BFN cause that's more time to better my body.

Mandy269455 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mandy269455 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 September 2021 at 8:12pm
It's always a great idea to try to lose weight before trying to conceive.

I put on 15kg my last pregnancy and most of that was put on in the first trimester because of MS And then in the last trimester a lot of my gain was also fluid retention. 7 weeks after birth I am now 13kg off my pre preg weight I read somewhere that 12 - 18kg is the normal range.

If you can keep active and avoid comfort eating (definitely harder for me during the pandemic) you can definitely lose the weight you accumulated during pregnancy.

The recommended 150 minutes a week of moderate exercise (or 75 minutes of more intense exercise) definitely helps. That's a couple of walks or online cardio / Zumba / HIIT classes a week.

Yoga helped me lose my weight a lot faster.

Yoga burns calories when done the right way.

If you are serious about losing weight and getting fit, you might want to implement a 60-minute power yoga and/or vinyasa flow practice at least five to six days per week.

This yoga weight loss program was easy to follow and worked for me during my pregnancy when I started gaining too much weight.

Each class is easy to follow, but is varied and enjoyable. Dynamic Sequencing means you'll always be challenged regardless of your current level.

If you want to follow my example, think about coupling your practice with a whole foods diet for optimal results.

Good luck!

Mandy
 Post Reply Post Reply