FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBreast pumps... can anyone help me?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LittleBug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Breast pumps... can anyone help me?
    Posted: 08 August 2007 at 9:52pm
Hi,

I want to breastfeed, and have heard that it's useful to have a breastpump around, that way sometimes hubby could do the midnight feeds etc, plus have heard it help to clear up blocked milk ducts etc. I thought it might be a handy thing to have around... can anyone tell me their opinion? Has anyone breastfed and needed a breastpump around?

Also, does anyone recommend anything in particular? I get daunted even looking at all the options...
Chloe (4 years) and Oliver (3 years).
Sponsored Links

kell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2007 at 9:57pm
I love mine, great thing to have in my opinion.
I have a manual Avent one, does the trick and doesnt cost the earth. The parts are cheap to replace, and you can pick them up on TM for a steal. Good luck with your choice
Kayla Rose is now 4!
James Sydney is nearly 2!
Brenna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brenna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2007 at 9:59pm
I got the Medela (spl??) mini electric and it was fabulous!! Esp when I would wake in the middle of the night with rock hard boobs
My beautiful 2 girls...nearly 4 and 13 months
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2007 at 10:04pm
I had the Avent manual and it was brilliant. I got it on my midwife's recommendation when Maya was tiny and it was pretty much the only thing I kept from when she was a baby. It was great when I was express feeding the gremlins too, it stood up to weeks of 24-7 use expressing 2 litres a day and is still in good working order. Have put it away on the offchance I go mad and have another baby.
I also hired a Medela Symphony double electric when the gremlins were tiny to help bring my milk in and it was good, but the manual was just as efficient IMO.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2007 at 10:20pm
I reckon they are handy too, having expressed for my girls to go to daycare while i studied. I had a manual one hand pump put our by pur i think.. pretty simple compared to the newer ones.. but still. the new medela handpump is neat cos the pump handle has a small bit at the front for when you first start to mimick the small sucks baby does, then once milk's flowing you use the bigger handle piece at the back.

ha ha, as Kelly will prob remember.. our lactation consultant in our unit is great.. and she shows us all these neat new "toys" medela puts out lol
Janine and her 2 cool chicks, Paris & Ayja

kell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2007 at 10:25pm
Kayla Rose is now 4!
James Sydney is nearly 2!
MyMinis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MyMinis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2007 at 6:52am
I used Avent ISIS with Haleigh & highly recomend when I got mastitis it made it so much more pleasant to empty the infected side.
missy_girl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missy_girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2007 at 7:50am
I love my Avent Isis too. I also had mastitis and it was so easy to empty the breast. I highly recommend.
Michelle

Bubbaloo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bubbaloo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2007 at 8:29am
I also used an Avent Isis and found it great.

Was danni-chick

Mum to James

My Angel 28/07/08
Andie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2007 at 8:42am
I've found my Avent manual one invaluable.  You can hand-express too, if you don't have a pump, and people who are pro's at that tell me that it's easier than a pump once you get the hang of it.  But I find a pump very easy (and not messy).  I was suprised by how often I used it, too. 
Andie
kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2007 at 9:30am
I'm soooooo thankful I had a breast pump (Avent isis electric/manual) because I had blocked milk ducts, truely over engorged breasts which was really painful and now I express off during the day so hubby can take a feed at night. I'd get soooo fed up if I had to do this by hand.
caraMel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caraMel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2007 at 9:38am
Avent Isis

I've used mine for 2 babies and love it!
Plus, their service is great too. I had a bit break, completely human error, and rang their service number to get a replacement and the sent it to me free of charge the very next morning!
Mel, Mummy to E: 6, B: 4 and:

hailstones View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hailstones Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2007 at 10:18am
I love my Avent Isis as well (I have a manual one), its great and has had ALOT of use!!!!!

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2007 at 10:57am
i have breastfed two babies and never owned a breastpump at all. i hand expressed when i started them on solids to mix with their food and when i was in the shower if i felt engorged.
if you are going to need to give them EBM then you will need one i suppose tho.
Mummy2three View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mummy2three Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2007 at 11:12am
I used an Avent Isis manuel one aswell.   I found it really easy to use and sterilise    
LittleBug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2007 at 11:31am
Thanks for the advice! I think I will definitely want one around now, especially since now I am considering going back to finish the last 6 months of my degree at uni, although that will be at least 6 months after baby is born! How long did you guys breastfeed for?

I'm not sure what my Mum will think about me getting a breast pump, because they "got by without those things" when she had kids, and we are quite strapped for money

Don't suppose anyone has a good secondhand pump that they don't need anymore that they would be willing to sell cheaply? (I guess I should be posting this in the sell/trade forum!?)
Chloe (4 years) and Oliver (3 years).
mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2007 at 12:49pm
Janey it's completely up to you as to how long you BF for really. it didn't work too weel for me with #1.. so was stopped about 6 mths old. but Ayja #2, i was studying and expressing etc and fed her up till 15 mths old just cos it was easier when i was with her to do that especialy int he middle of the night. If you do go back to study you can look at options.. ie do they let you do some papers extramurally, or if the uni has a creche nearby you can whip in between classes or at lunch to feed bubs.. ours was across the road and i would feed when i dropped her off, then at morning and afternoon tea and lunch time.. if she needed it before then they had expressed stuff to offer by bottle and they'd just leave a message on my cell phone to tell me not to come if i wasn't needed. there's lotsa ways to work it.
Janine and her 2 cool chicks, Paris & Ayja

jack_&_charli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jack_&_charli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2007 at 3:03pm
as janine has said, it's completely up to you how long you bf for. charli was b/f til she was 5mths and jack was 7 1/2mths when i stopped b/f him.
i also used the avent isis pump and loved it

Bombshell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bombshell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2007 at 9:09pm
im a bit like gandt - BF as much as possible even when it gets tough...and it will! I used my Avent one when i got engorged mainly....and havent used it for weeks but tried tonight as felt engorged...no great let down so im gonna let down in the shower....that is what i do if milk is there and bubba is asleep and milk wont fill a bottle - instead off expressing.

We did 4 months full BM and then started topping up - and only then cause i am going back to work. Otherwise i would have kept going. Im still BF morning and night.

It is up you to decide what to do tho...but for many positive reasons for bubba try to feed as much for as long as possible. Middle of the night feeds I think should be mums role and is a good bonding time but even better to help baby self sooth without waking for a bottle etc...Im not a fan of expressing just to let dad bond - but then thats me.
mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2007 at 9:26pm
Janey I am using an Avent manual one and it is great. I have parts form a few members on here. I have gone back studying fulltime this semester and it is extramural (studying at Massey) so I have Josh at home with me all the time and study when I can, I have had him feeding while I am reading books etc. If you can do that option, so much easier and cheaper for you. I couldn't feed my eldest, and was a bit fearful the same may happen with my second but I mangaged to get it down pat and then I looked at expressing.
I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
 Post Reply Post Reply