FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked? for all you ’horsey’ mums 2 be!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
ALittleLoopy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALittleLoopy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2010 at 8:34pm

this is her at about 1year old..shes a fatty now, looks preggo

and this was her as a foal with her mumma...chip off the mumma block eh

CHEM 6/12+
Sponsored Links

palomino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote palomino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2010 at 8:39pm
Awwwwwwww cute! nothing like foal pics!

Mine have got one of those horseballs but they dont like it. Well i have never seen them play with it.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALittleLoopy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2010 at 8:44pm

i know super cute and soo tiny!

even my DH whos not very horsey LOVES sharna, he was never fully happy around my big girl but wouldnt refuse to help or anything but he just about volunteers with sharn!! they are just that lil bit less scarey

CHEM 6/12+
ChrisW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChrisW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 June 2010 at 11:45pm
well against the norm - I rode until I was 7 months and probably would have kept riding until I dropped but found it unconfortable getting on and off - my boy is a big horse... however I stopped jumping once I knew I was pregnant and from about 8 weeks I stopped riding my young horse as I just didn't feel right. I was 4 months when I stopped competing.However, my horse I have had him for 7 years and literally trust him with my life--and I have had about 40 horses/ponies over my lifetime and he is the only one I could say that about... however since having my daughter I have given up - luckily my horse was near retirement anyway - I found it extremely had to justify horse riding when I had my little girl to look after (prob not helped by the fact I also worked 4 days a week) - remember it can be extremely time consuming and you may find you just don't have the time or the energy!!
palomino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote palomino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2010 at 9:11am
Yea but thats a bit different to having a 10year break and starting up riding again in pregnancy like OP is suggesting. Your body would have been used to it already.
Emmecat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 June 2010 at 2:39pm

Hmmm if I had've kept my last horse then yeah I think I would've kept riding (assuming he had survived all these years lol) but its def different riding after a 10 year break and on a 'strange' horse at that. So sigh I will wait till bubba number 2 comes along and I'm back on my feet and in a routine with the babies etc.

Nic- your ponies are GORGY...aaawwww  I love the wee foal! I had a palomino and he was terrific. Pulled like a train but boy did he get the looks lol. Golden boy 15.1hh part cob, just lovely. I miss him a bit cos I had him 8 years . also had a thoroughbred who was mad as a hatter, won't do that again!

Edited by Emmecat

kakapo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kakapo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2010 at 8:38am

I rode during early pregnancy, but only for the first few weeks.  After that I just did groundwork with my horse.  Have you thought about learning natural horsemanship (Parelli etc)?  There are loads of games you can play etc on the ground - great for developing a good relationship with your horse, and lots of fun for you too .

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALittleLoopy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 June 2010 at 10:08am
thanks emmecat! she knows she is too, lil miss attitude that one lol

yeah i did the thoroughbred thing but wont be going there again, i have the go ahead to get another big one in the new year if im still interested and have the time by then (dh is hoping i wont haha) but will go for a standardbred or something and gelding too, no more mares for me!

CHEM 6/12+
Fox01 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fox01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2010 at 8:41pm
I stopped riding my boy a few weeks ago when I was about 20 weeks, mainly cos last show has been and gone so hes turned out for the winter. I was only exercising him at home, and had someone else competing him and jumping him for me as I was recovering from a bad broken leg so I haven't been jumping and only came off crutches after I found out I am pregnant, and I decided seeing as my leg would still be weak not to take the risk of jumping until after baby is born. Once bubs is born I will be straight back into the saddle (I Hope).

I wouldnt take up riding while I am pregnant and most definitely have only been riding my good horse and a few rides on my youngster as he was for sale but only cos I trusted and knew both horses well.   I keep getting offered youngsters and while I would love a new project for next season, Its not a good time for me being winter and pregnant, I have a foal due soon so already 1 more mouth to feed and I dont know how much time I will be able to devote to the horses when bubs is here. I'ts damn hard to keep saying no thou.
boys.boys.boys.boys View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boys.boys.boys.boys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2010 at 11:02am
Yeah, I was the same as ChrisW, did my last show at 22Wks (won most of the events and got Champion to so wasnt to bad at 20wks preg!!), rode (just dressage and hacking) until 32wks, when it was too uncomfortable to do more than walk! but again, it was on a safe horse/pony. And I have been riding forever so it wasnt just starting.
But i was riding again 2 days after birth, it was so easy mounting and without a baby jumping up and down!!

I must admit though, the ground handling worried me more than the riding, it's quite abit harder to move quickly out of the way of a horse when I was preg!!

I am looking (slowly) out for a little welshie (or similar) for micah, only coz they are abit easier for the little ones to ride coz their strides are longer than the minis, and i can ride it to school it. (have done up ponies for my lifetime so the thought of riding a 11hh isnt too unusual for me, it just gets more embarassing taking them to shows when we didnt have anyone smaller to ride them!! I would frequently get asked if I wanted a new pony for Xmas!!)

Gosh, I shouldnt have seen this thread, I could talk all day on horses and babies!!
4 boys!! 7 years, 5 years, 2 years and 8 weeks...
toniellis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toniellis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2010 at 2:35pm
I wouldn't start up while preg after such a long break unless it was just casually on an old trusty...
Different story if you have been riding before getting preg. I rode throughout my pregnancies with #1 & #2, #3 was only casually & only a couple of times when preg with #4, more due to not having access than any other reason....
Mum to Alex (11), Blaire (10) & Erika (8) and Damien (6)

Successful HWB VBA2Cs!
Soon to be surrogate
flakesitchyfeet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flakesitchyfeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2010 at 5:03pm
I'm going to go against the grain and say that I started back when preg. with my daughter ....after a ten year break....on a 3 year old....

but he's a clydie ;)

If you can find a reputable school, with an instructor you trust, on an old cob type fella thats @ the school for a bit of active retirement, then why not. Obviously, if you've ridden before, you are aware of the potential dangers.

I think you need to do it because you wont once the baby is here! AAAAnd, who says you need to go faster than a walk? No need for bouncing around. Sort out your position, your aids, even general horse knowledge in case you end up with one yourself

http://eggsineachbasket.blogspot.com/
palomino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote palomino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2010 at 5:04pm
Flakes a rebel lol

we need a horsey thread

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flakesitchyfeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2010 at 5:47pm
Yeah you know it!

Okay I'll start one
Emmecat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2010 at 5:53pm
Woohoo a horsey thread!  I had no idea there was so many horsey chicks on OB lol. Have taken on board all your advice....was wondering if there was a nice old schoolmaster nearby I could walk around on lol

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flakesitchyfeet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2010 at 6:43am
You have to let us know how you get on!
Come dream with me in the horsey thread lol....I don't want to be the only non owner hanging out in there!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12