FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedfoods that make kids agro/hyper

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: foods that make kids agro/hyper
    Posted: 22 March 2008 at 9:51pm
Ok, so clearly, she's not allergic to them, but may as well be. Does anyone else have a kid that goes nuts from having things with colourings/flavourings etc in them?

Ayja's an active kid in bed anyway moving about alot, but pamol at night turns her into a kid that's rolling around the bed screaming in her sleep.. every time she has it this happens.(only given for mega high temps now)

Add to that many many other foods..... everything for her is plain as we can be.. superwines, plain rice crackers, ricies or weetbix for brekkie, and heaps of fruit etc. Don't get me wrong, that's fine.

Anyway, chocolate with cocoa in it (ie, normal chocolate) is THE WORST. I am dreading this weekend, have said to most people that we are getting her WHITE chocolate in the hopes they will follow our example.    

Chocolate is baaaad with her.. half a freddo frog after dinner one night for pudding - she stayed awake till 10pm.   The other day my sister brought us over some home made moulded chocolates, with mostly all white chocolate for the kids, she told me she made ayja's all white chocolate.. of course the kids were nagging the next day and in a hurry i gave the wrong bag to the wrong kid and told them to choose one small one each. Ayja, picking from Paris's bag, found THE ONLY dark chocolate one, same size as a freddo and scoffed it in her mouth before i actually cottoned on to my mistake. Up till then we'd had a good day. Within 20-30 mins of having this she was agressive (overly so), tantruming, screaming, crazy and uncontrollable.

Anyway, long story short... anyone else have a kid like this that's super sensitive to additives and colourings?
Do they grow out of it? and can anyone give me some more ideas for foods that can be little treats that aren't so crazy-inducing?

Edited by mum2paris
Janine and her 2 cool chicks, Paris & Ayja

Sponsored Links

fattartsrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2008 at 10:23pm
have you read "The chemical maze"? I heard its great... got some good tips about the numbers to avoid, etc. You might get one on trade me?
The Honest Un PC Parent of 2, usually stuck in the naughty corner! :P
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2008 at 8:09am
I worked with a guy who got hypo on E numbers and he was in his late 20s, he knew though so avoided them like the plague. Well except when drinking then he would drink alchopops and OMG, funny though.

New World stock some organic products and there are some treats called Outback Crackers, they don't have any artificial stuff in and are very yummy. You could also look in the organic shops for biscuits etc. More expensive but if just for treats it shouldn't be too bad.

gemsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2008 at 12:33pm
I'm pretty sure I know what my dd will be like drunk - based on her reaction to certain foods and drinks. A few sips of lemonade at Ayja's age and she would be bouncing off the walls, loud, giggly, obnoxious....SO not my quiet wee girl at all. And cheap jelly was about the worst thing ever. She's six now and not nearly as bad, however, a trip to the local chinese buffet restaurant and the cheap jelly for dessert....oh my!!!
You just learn what sets them off and avoid them like the plague.
mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2008 at 1:25pm

Yep ME!!!

I had major issues with cocoa as a child from about 2 till I was 9, and I also had issues with caffine at them same time. So I wasn't allowed chocolate or soft drink coz whenever I did I went nuts.

Carob will become your friend for the next few years, there are some really yummy carob eggs out there (well there were) and my parents made a big deal out of carob for me. It was my special chocolate and noone else was allowed it. When I was about 7 they tried white chocolate with me and that was fine. So again the carob and white chocolates were mine.

I think Andrew has got my lovely genes with chocolate and caffine so i'm watching what he is having as well.

I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
Rachael21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rachael21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2008 at 1:29pm
From what my mum said I was like this (but prob not as bad as Ajya). When I was a teenager Mum slowly started letting us have stuff with colouring and now it has no effect on me at all. Apart from lollies and chocolate I prefer plain foods anyway so it has given me quite healthy eating habits.

I think for me it was my personality as well, I liked to push the limits anyway and be the centre of attention. Its funny cos I'm not really like this at all anymore.

I also have an extrememly low tolerance for alcohol.
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2008 at 11:55am
My brother was/is the same, but he was later diagosed with ADHD so who knows how much of it was actually diet related. BUt he was never allowed coke coz the caffeine or colors or something in it made him go loopy, and Mum spent his entire childhood experimenting with various additive/coloring/preservative free foods to try and rein in his hyperactivity.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
caliandjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2008 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by mum2paris mum2paris wrote:

Do they grow out of it? and can anyone give me some more ideas for foods that can be little treats that aren't so crazy-inducing?

In a word no, my DH is a chocolate addict, and he gets really irritating and annoying if hes had too much chocolate.

What about yogurt covered raisins or dried fruit?

[/url]

Angel June 2012
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2008 at 4:18pm
You could ice the wine biscuits with plain white icing to liven them up a bit, or use natural coloring sources. My boss had pink lemonade at her daughters birthday party that was colored with a dash of cranberry juice.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2008 at 3:57pm
lol they don't even have lemonade.. it's fruit juice or water or milk for them. Nooo it's mainly just on special occasions or sometimes when we forget and are stupid enough to give her a treat then regret it.
Janine and her 2 cool chicks, Paris & Ayja

muppet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2008 at 4:18pm
Slightly different, but my husband had/has ADHD and while anything with artificial colour and flavours made him go crazy, anything with caffene actually calmed him down. His 4 older brothers and sisters used to give him their coffee as a preschooler and it would make him quite calm! Apparently ritelin has caffene in it too. Even now if he can't sleep he'll have a cup of coffee and he'll go out like a light.
WRXnKids View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WRXnKids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2008 at 2:06pm
As a kid mum said i use to be hypo on red pebbles (and a few other things red) and bacon of all things but i grew out of it.  Although my sister and i had pineapple the other day and were in hysterics for ages so maybe it just shifted to another food hahaha
 Post Reply Post Reply