FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBlocked nose...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jaune View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Blocked nose...
    Posted: 10 August 2010 at 12:47pm
I've got a cold and have the worst nasal congestion ever... I can't breathe through my nose at all, hardly slept at all last night and haven't been able to work for 2 days now.
My midwife has said that I can't use a nasal spray such as Otrivin when I'm pregnant, only panadol (which does nothing for my nose). I've used the saline non-medicated nasal spray but that doesn't seem to make any difference either.

Just wondered if anyone had any tips or ideas to relieve this? It's starting to get uncomfortable and it's just driving me crazy.

Sponsored Links

freckle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freckle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2010 at 12:51pm
last pregnancy I had that and I talked to the pharmacist and they gave me a nasal spray that I could use in pregnancy... sorry can't remember which one but maybe ask at the pharmacy
mum to 3 lovely girls :D
kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2010 at 12:52pm
Have you tried a nasal rinse. DH does that. Its a special bottle you get from the chemist and put salt water in it and squirt it up your nose and it clears everything else.
Jaune View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2010 at 12:57pm
Thanks guys.
Guess I am going to have to leave the house and head to a pharmacy!

HippyMama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HippyMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2010 at 1:13pm
The thing with Otrivin spray is there is some evidence that ephedrine *may* cause an increase in the baby's heartrate when used during pregnancy.

There isn't actually solid evidence that using xylometazoline (the main ingredient) in nasal spray during pregnancy is harmful, but it's not possible to say categorically that its use is safe - so the manufacturer, pharmacies and other care providers need to caution against it to cover their backsides.

Close to the end of my most recent pregnancy, I ended up in the same situation and tried EVERYTHING. None of it worked. In the end, as I was so frazzled from not being able to sleep (due to only being able to breathe through my mouth), I sent my husband out at the earliest possible moment on a Sunday morning to get some Otrivin for me - used it for three days and it did the trick until my symptoms started to subside on their own.
Mama to two earth walkers & two angels.

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being. ~ Kittie Franz

Next Slingbabies! Meet - Friday 4th May !!
Bobchannz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobchannz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2010 at 1:56pm
My GP gave me a nasal spray with budesonide (a steriod). It worked wonders with pregnancy congestion (which may be different from the type you are experiencing). I had no trouble with congestion after using this spray. I don't think midwives are able to prescribe this one.
www.makedomum.blogspot.co.nz
Jaune View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2010 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by HippyMama HippyMama wrote:

Close to the end of my most recent pregnancy, I ended up in the same situation and tried EVERYTHING. None of it worked. In the end, as I was so frazzled from not being able to sleep (due to only being able to breathe through my mouth), I sent my husband out at the earliest possible moment on a Sunday morning to get some Otrivin for me - used it for three days and it did the trick until my symptoms started to subside on their own.

That's how I feel. I wonder how good it is for the baby, me being so frustrated and uncomfortable, not sleeping etc and whether the small potential risks to the baby could be outweighed by the relief I'd feel...
Even if I just used it once to get me (and my partner!) through the night...
...and it would be nice to be able to taste food again!

CJsays View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CJsays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2010 at 2:48pm
Poor you Mealz!
I am just getting over a stuffy nose and I found that having a hot honey and lemon sorted my nose out, I inhaled the steam while hot and drunk it and after 20mins my nostrils would clear just enough to get some air thru.
Otherwise have you tried menthol drops or steam, not sure if we're allowed to do that or not but that was going to be my next option if I got worse!
Hope it works for you
kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2010 at 3:02pm
My GP has happily prescribed me otrivin while preg, I get sinus infections pretty much at the first sign of a blocked nose. But I only use that as a last resort
vixgirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vixgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2010 at 4:53pm

I was at the dr yesterday with a sinus infection, the lack of sleep was driving me mad! She gave me an antibiotic and an antihistamine, which apparently was "safer" than a spray, but relieves congestion. I used it last night and had a wonderful sleep...

I hope you get it sorted soon

SpecialK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpecialK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2010 at 7:11pm
I also used otrivin when I had a horrid cold and couldn't breathe or sleep because of my blocked nose... like hippymama I only used it for a few days, I figured the benefits of me being able to get some proper rest and get over the cold outweighed the potential, unproven risks to bub.
Jaune View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaune Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2010 at 10:39am
Thanks for your responses everyone.
Had 1 clear nostril last night so was able to get the best sleep ever (not sure if it really was, but felt pretty good in comparison!). DP wore ear plugs...

Hoping this means I'm coming out the other side. I guess time will tell.
Thanks again!

AUT268517 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AUT268517 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 August 2021 at 4:12am
Auckland University of Technology Bio Design Lab is working on new technology to relieve nasal congestion. The technology is not a pharmaceutical/drug solution. We are hoping to learn more about the current experiences nasal congestion sufferers have. We are asking if you might be able to help us, by answering our survey. Thanks for your interest. AUT Bio Design Lab Team.

Link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/PVR6RTW

If you are interested to know more details, please send us an email at autventures@aut.ac.nz.

Edited by AUT268517 - 02 September 2021 at 1:53am
 Post Reply Post Reply