FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedGoodbye to Mom

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ray267490 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray267490 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Goodbye to Mom
    Posted: 05 August 2021 at 9:11pm
I hope you guys don't mind if I post this. Most people would do this on Facebook. But I count everyone, if you are friends, more than 500, which, according to some sources, I have.

My mother passed away this morning in Pensacola, Florida. She was 89 years old and had been suffering from dementia for most of the last 10 years. Over the past two years, the situation has become worse and worse. The last time I saw her was a year ago. At the time, it was sadly obvious that she had no idea who I was and had no memory of past events. At that time, she was in a hospice. The fact that she struggled with this for another year shows her resilience. She grew up on a small farm in Missouri, where her father died at an early age and her mother was ill. At the age of 15, she pretty much raised her younger sister and took care of the house, still graduating from university, before marrying my father a year later.

I was 10 years old and my brother was 6 when my parents divorced. She worked full-time and raised two sons, and we did not need anything and did not starve. Well, I never got that racetrack kit for Christmas that I kept asking for 😎

To this day, I owe her everything I have. She taught us to be honest, to be responsible for ourselves and to treat others kindly. She didn't see color in people, she just saw the good in them ... when and when she was raised, it's actually pretty damn impressive.

I inherited many of my physical traits from her or her family, she had older twin brothers who were 6 feet 4 inches tall.

In my adult years, I visited her as often as I could. But not often enough. And yet she always had a pot full of lasagna, a huge baking dish for banana pudding and dozens and dozens of chocolate cookies. Just like I said. We were never hungry.

The timing is really bad. Obviously, my brother and sisters and I can't go there now. A couple of years ago, she planned to be cremated. So that's what they'll do. A family friend down there will hold on to her bump. When everything is cleared up, my brothers and sisters and I will meet at the MS for the service and say goodbye.

Rest in peace, Mother. I love you.
Sponsored Links

Stephane267160 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephane267160 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2021 at 10:23pm
I'm sorry for your loss. She sounds like an amazing woman.
Sonia267533 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sonia267533 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2021 at 10:26pm
I am sorry for your loss. I understand more than anyone what it is like to lose a loved one. My mother passed away a year ago, and I still remember that time with pain. It's hard to realize, but sooner or later, all of our parents die. We should treasure every minute we spend with them and help them in any difficult situation. The older they get, the more they need support and care. If you can't be there for them, hire a good caregiver. I can recommend a company called assistinghands. They will make sure that the older person's most troubled years go much more smoothly. They need attention and support. Don't leave them behind, and remember that Mom and Dad have no one but you. Once again, I want to offer my condolences.

Edited by Sonia267533 - 05 August 2021 at 10:34pm
 Post Reply Post Reply