FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedFood intolerances where to start?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
caliandjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Food intolerances where to start?
    Posted: 23 July 2011 at 8:18pm
DD has sensitive skin and has developed a couple of patches of rough dry skin on her scalp and a little bit of ezcema.

I've been given a list of the main food intolerances from a nutritionist.

Where do I start in working out what bothers her and what doesn't?

[/url]

Angel June 2012
Sponsored Links

2crazykids View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2crazykids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2011 at 8:26pm
I think pick one to cut out and see if there is an improvement. Sometimes they have more than one, but for example my boy has heaps, I first cut out milk and saw an improvement but not 100%, so then I cut out the next one, Soy, and say a huge improvement. They are 2 main staples. Then from there it got a lot easier to tell what bothered him i.e. pink marshmellows not everyday but when he had them he flared up (food colouring) or 1 dried apricot he flared up straight away (preservative)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2011 at 8:28pm
Being 9 months old - She hasn't had soy yet and I've stopped giving her dairy as I found shop bought yoghurt gave her a sore tummy, she was ok on the eziyo one.

[/url]

Angel June 2012

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2crazykids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2011 at 8:30pm
It's a wonder though that the Nutritionist didn't plan it with you i.e. ours tells us what to try next i.e. Olivani then Pea's etc, then after that try such and such food. They should be really guiding you a lot more, it's such a hard road if they're not guiding you, It was for us, I'm no food expert, I'm just a beginner!

P.s keep a daily food diary , BIG BIG HELP!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2011 at 8:36pm
It was over the counter I think I need to make an appointment with a naturopath and get some more guidance.
I do feel a bit lost as its not something instant with her more she gets a sore tummy later on.

[/url]

Angel June 2012

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2crazykids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2011 at 8:44pm
Ok I see. I got a referral from my GP to a Peadatritian, and the Pead refererred me to the Nutritionist which we see each of them every 3 months. (Through the public system, although we had to wait 3 months for the appt to come through the first time) But they tested him for allergies etc and have both been amazing at putting plans in action for us re: skin care regimines and meal planning.
Plus you will be amazed at how much soy she has actually had - go look at your bread, crackers, biscuits, they all say "contains soy", margerine, sausages, just about everything you can think of contains soy...marmite...list goes on. My boy can't have any of it! He is a bit easier to tell if he reacts as he gets a full on rash pretty quickly.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2crazykids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2011 at 8:45pm
Is she bf? or formula?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2011 at 8:55pm
She's bf - she was very windy as a newborn and I adjusted my diet then and things improved. I'll have a chat to my GP this week.

[/url]

Angel June 2012
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2011 at 9:13pm
Hey Fleur, I'm not surprised that you've asked this, I did wonder when you said a while ago that she had sensitive skin.

I would start very simply take out dairy both in your diet as well as in her diet. Do that for a few weeks as it takes up to 6 weeks for dairy to clear from both your & her system.

I would see a dietician, they are worth their weight in gold. Agree that you need to do a food diary for both you & C.

Also agree, be very wary of how much soy is in things. Soy Lecithin (322) should be ok but things like HVP are nasty.

I also find that Coopers cradle cap quantity is dependant on if he's reacted to stuff.
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2011 at 9:17pm
Oh & half the time GP's don't know
Kel

snugglebug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snugglebug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2011 at 10:07pm
Yeah Id have to say, bypass the GP an go to the paed, it took months to figure out my son's dairy intolerance I was told he was just being a baby by the GP then in the end she just said I dont really know, go to a paediatrician. Although I think that all they will tell you anyway first off is to do the elimination of different things- dairy, soy, wheat etc and see how you go so you might as well try that first maybe?
Me 28, DH 29
DS born 20 Nov 2010 (4 years old)
#2 due October 7

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2011 at 9:56am
The GP hasn't been very helpful so far, she had a nasty rash on her a couple of weeks ago and they couldn't tell me what it was or what to do about it.

Dairy does seem to be a trigger for her - unbenown to me my Dad had given her some of the froth off his coffee and it gave her almost instant dioherra.

I don't have dairy a lot myself only on my cereal for breakfast.
A food diary sounds like a good idea.
Catherine hadn't had craddle cap since she was little, she has a couple of patches this week - trying to work out whats caused it.

[/url]

Angel June 2012
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2011 at 12:00pm
If you want something nicer for your cereal than rice milk get oat milk, it's quite a mild sweet taste.

Green kiwifruit can be a high allergin as well.

The cradle cap could have come on cause of that dairy froth. Try keeping her totally dairy free and see how you go.
Kel

kabe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2011 at 2:33pm
Just skim read the responses, so apologies if someone has already suggested this! I'd be inclined to get her tested for allergies in the first instance with either a RAST (bld test) or a skin prick test. That way you're not eliminating food unnecessarily from both your diet and hers. Eczema on the face, then diarrhoea were the first sign that my daughter had food allergies. Your GP or a paediatrician can give you a form to get the tests done.

I personally wouldn't muck around with trying to eliminate things, I'd just go straight to proper testing. Then the nutritionist can make dietary suggestions when you know what you're dealing with.

Good luck!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2011 at 3:17pm
thanks Kabe - she's been on solids for 3 months now and for the most part I've avoided dairy anyway - she also had a patch of eczema on her leg long before she started on solids.

I'm aware that eczema is closely linked with asthma and there is a family history of it on her Dads side.

[/url]

Angel June 2012
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2011 at 4:57pm
Kabe, testing is useful but in the case of intolerance, even severe intolerance, they don't show anything up.

Definitely get skin pricks done, but don't think that it's going to give you any answers, it might but just as easily it might not.
Kel

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2011 at 5:09pm
I don't think she has allergies as such, more a sensitivity to certain things - as the naturopath said at our mothers group its more a build up of exposure that causes intolerance rather than a single incident, which I think is why its harder to pin point what bothers her.

Keeping a food diary is a good idea.

I'll look at dairy she doesn't have much so it will be reasonably easy to eliminate.

[/url]

Angel June 2012
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2011 at 5:27pm
Look at it in all the foods you eat as well?

Have a look at the links on this page RPAH Allergy unitpage 3 shows how an intolerance works.
Kel

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2011 at 5:30pm
This is the list of Common Food Intolerances I've been given - Dairy, Cane Sugar, Yeast, Nightshade (potato, tomato, eggplant and capsicum, Gluten, Apples, Citrus and Peanuts.

Catherine doesn't have peanuts or any of the nightshade family to start with, she's had mandarins seemed to like them.
Apples is in everything to do with baby food.
I don't give her a lot of bread or crackers - she prefers fruit to savoury foods so that's what I give her.

It's a balancing act working out what I can give her that she'll eat and like without giving her an upset gut.

[/url]

Angel June 2012
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2011 at 5:49pm
I've never heard of cane sugar as a food intolerance.

Kel

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>