FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedFuzzi bunz vs napnaps vs ??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Nikki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuzzi bunz vs napnaps vs ??
    Posted: 22 January 2007 at 3:01pm
Hi ladies,
OMG how confusing is the whole cloth nappy thing?? I plan to use cloth but will use disposables right at the start and for going out etc.
At first I decided I liked the idea of napnaps as they are one size fits all so you don't have to buy so many, and they look cool.
Has anyone used them? Pros / cons?
But once you buy all the covers in different sizes I don't think they really do work out cheaper than other brands.
Then after hearing so much about fuzzi's on here I have looked into them and I'm interested in them now, but have a few questions for all you fuzzi's girls:
Assuming I will have a small/average baby and will start in cloth reasonably early (and won't use them so much after I got back to work at 12months), I should buy mainly size small and some petites? But if bub does turn out big would I need med/large? (and to the agents, if I get it wrong can I swop the un-used ones?)
I want to buy everything while I'm still at work so I don't have any big expenses after the birth, so I guess it makes sizing a little trickier.
How long would a small/avg baby be in smalls normally?

Any comments re pocket nappies vs nappies that you don't have to stuff??
Any other brands people prefer?

Should I buy a trial pack of a few types first to see what I think of them (bearing in mind I won't have a baby to try them on at this stage!)?

HELP!!
Sponsored Links

kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2007 at 3:10pm
I've brought most of the fuzzi's I'm going to need even though I don't have a baby yet either. I brought smalls and mediums. The rep that came to my house just told me that if they are the wrong size and haven't been used you can exchange them so I'm not fussed at all if I have the wrong size, but at least they are paid for! Oh and I'm going to get her to come over after the baby is born to check the sizing for me.

The other thing I liked about Fuzzi's was the resale value of them. They resell for a pretty good price on trademe so at least once you are done with them you can get some money back!

Edited by kebakat
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2007 at 3:17pm
I used disposables for the first two weeks, then into flats with covers and now we use pockets which I stuff with the cloth flats, I tend to still use the flats during the day, and the pockets overnight as they seem to keep the moisture away better.

My bubs were average size born (6lb8oz and 7lb1oz)and went straight into medium Happy Heinys pockets at about 8 weeks. I use the pockets just as covers over flats sometimes too.

Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
jack_&_charli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jack_&_charli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2007 at 3:26pm
i've been using covers on charli during the day and a pocket on her at night time. i didn't know what type to get either so i got one of a few different brands (mostly on TM) and i now know which i like and which i don't.
for daytime for us, we are going to stick with a prefold with a liner and then a cover on top. the bummis covers are great and i have just ordered an ecobubs cover to try as i like the colours better
night time we have a mommy's touch one size, wonderoo one size and also a peapod. the one size are working great at night but are quite bulky as charli is still small in them.
peapods are great too and really cheap ($19.95) colours are limited though. i haven't tried fuzzi's but i'm going to order a couple soon.
charli is in a small peapod which will last her ages as they are large sizing and medium covers/prefolds.
wow i do go on!
i think you would be safe just getting smalls, others will correct me if i'm wrong. the great thing about modern cloth naps is they are getting really popular and so are easy to sell on TM if you don't like them

jack_&_charli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jack_&_charli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2007 at 3:29pm
hmmmm never thought of using the pockets as covers! thanks emma

Nikki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2007 at 3:43pm
Oh gosh - the more brands I hear about the more I get confused!
Stacey - I did think of smalls and meds at first but the website says you should only need one in each phase, so small/petite or med/large.

For those that have used med - how long was bub in them for (from what age to what age?). Maybe I should just get med and use disposibles til bub is big enough for them??

And fuzzi's agents - any demos around Ak I could sit in on? thanks.
Paws View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2007 at 3:46pm
I'm personally not a fan of the one size fits all nappies simply becuase I find them rather bulky particulary when bubs is smaller.

i love my fuzzi's becuase they are a trim fit, quick drying and I can adjust the absorbancy as I need it.

We bought smalls and mediums for Maddie before she was born and Maddie is still in the smalls.

The resale value on fuzzi's is excellent also though we're planning on several children so we won't be selling ours on. We will be getting a full money's worth though and saving probably close in the region of $6000 plus though!

Nikki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2007 at 4:20pm
Thanks Paws.
So maybe small / med is the way to go to start?

The peapods look good too - especially for the price - does anyone know if there is any difference in performance?

Thanks, and sorry to ask so many questions!
jax View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2007 at 4:24pm
Ditto mostly what Paws said I didn't start off in smalls though, but wish I had LOL When I finally "converted " we went straight into mediums, and I have a few petites for when Erin is a bit older (Fuzzis). They are just so easy to use and dry so quickly, I personally wouldn't think of going back to sposies now
Jacquie - Mama to Erin, 13.07.06 - Chief Cat Chaser & Marmite Sammie Eater

Love many, trust few, harm none. ~Anon~
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2007 at 4:36pm
The sizing is a tricky one. Krystiana (8lb) can't fit smalls yet, or maybe she can "just", but I wanted her in disposables for the first few weeks anyway so I didn't have to keep up with the washing lol

My thunder-thigh 1yo has been in mediums since August, she now fits petites better (longer) but can just get into larges if I want. Hannah (3yo) is in larges for night times. She would probably just fit petites but I had to guess how long she'd be un-TT at night

But on the other hand, my friend has a daughter one month younger than Briona and she has only just grown out of smalls!

I hear most children wear medium then large, or small then petite. I think if I were you I'd buy smalls and petites, but not use the petites until you checked the size again with the agent (when Baby is old enough).
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2007 at 5:10pm
you can get newborn hire kits and or check out the nappy network for reviews etc... nappynetwork.org.nz

i used napnaps and they have a great night nappy now too. in summer if you are at home you dont need covers, i hardly use them unless going out or nights. the napnaps do have some good pros, ie one size, great colours, can adjust absorbency to where needed most, easy to dry....in the end tho it will depend on wether you like that system or not as opposed to say pockets or prefolds.

busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2007 at 7:25pm
Originally posted by nik nik wrote:

Maybe I should just get med and use disposibles til bub is big enough for them??

I used to think that the smalls weren't value for money until I did my sums. According to those, even if a baby is in them for just 4 months, 10 small FB will cost about the same as disposables but I'll have them for future babies (or resale)... so that's what I did
Two Blondinis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Two Blondinis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2007 at 9:30pm
As one of the many agents on here I'll try to answer some of your questions:

1. Assuming I will have a small/average baby and will start in cloth reasonably early
- ok - NEVER assume you'll have a small baby! I found that out the hard way Cailtin was born 9lb 7.5oz and me & DH aren't exactly "big" LOL

2. I should buy mainly size small and some petites? But if bub does turn out big would I need med/large?
- We bought hapes of smalls (24 I think) and 6 petites (got a large cash gift and spent it all on nappies). Sizing chart says up to 6 months for FB smalls for an average baby. Caitlin is certainly on the bigger side of average and she has only just gone into the petites. Looking back I don't think I would have bothered getting the next size up until I knew what size she was going to be, so you could buy your smalls and the later get some bigger sizes.

3. (and to the agents, if I get it wrong can I swop the un-used ones?)
- you sure can as long as they are unwashed and unworn (or even if you did happen to wash them all either use the Buy Back scheme or sell them on Trade Me.

4. I want to buy everything while I'm still at work so I don't have any big expenses after the birth, so I guess it makes sizing a little trickier.
How long would a small/avg baby be in smalls normally?
- good idea - buy stuff whilst you can still afford it, that's what we did too. Smalls are supposed to fit 3kg to 7.5kg (Caitlin was approx 8.2kg when she outgrew her smalls), mediums fit 6-11.5kgs, petites sit 8-13.5kg (width of a medium, height of a large), large fit 10-16kg and XL fit 16kg+

5. Any comments re pocket nappies vs nappies that you don't have to stuff??
The All-in-one nappies I've trialled have been heaps bulkier than pocket nappies and take forever to dry, the fitting can be tricky too as these types are often one size fits all but come with a million domes that you have to remember each time you put the nappy on (or tell DH and the grannys!)

6. Any other brands people prefer?
I'm totally biased to Fuzzis but I'm sure others can help you there. The only think I don't like about FBs is that they don't come in all of the cool patterns (but there are heaps of colours to choose from so you can colour co-ordinate Bubs' outfit with the nappy (I'm so sad! LOL)

7. Should I buy a trial pack of a few types first to see what I think of them (bearing in mind I won't have a baby to try them on at this stage!)?
- If you're going to do that I would try to reserve a pack for around your due date, like you said you won't have a baby to try them on to give them a good test.
I know FBs do a trial nappy that you can send back even after you've used it for 30 days for a full money back guarantee and a few of the councils throughout NZ are starting to do trial packs too
nikkitheknitter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2007 at 11:47pm
I advise getting a hire kit... and perhaps putting away money in a money box/special account so that you can get some when you are sorted.

The hire kits come with heaps of different nappies that you can trial and figure out which system (pockets, prefolds, covers, fitteds, AIOs etc) works best - as well as different fibres.

I started out with fuzzis but am now wishing I'd had the chance to try out more naps (Sorry fuzzi ladies!) as there are heaps of cool and cheaper naps out there. Also I am now swinging towards loving natural fibres heaps more. (Ah the hippies have got me!)

I just bought a wool pocket from Ecobubs the other day for a preggo friend. I can't wait to see it!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2007 at 11:48pm
Just for the record - I am still a pocket fan through and through (Oooo altho I wish I'd tried Snazzipants fitteds!)
Nikki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2007 at 9:02am
Thanks for all the advice!

Who would have thought there was going to be so many decisions to make before baby even arrives?! Its a completely different world to me ...

haha - re assuming I'll have a small/avg baby - thats the plan anyway!! I was a small baby, and my doc assures me I'll "probably" only have a 7 pound baby as I'm small .... I'm just hoping she's right!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2007 at 9:18am
Yeah well, like Toni, I'm one of those "small baby" horrors that turned out to be 9lbs 6. My midwife sent me in for a growth scan and it turned out she was growing alright!

So yeah... just be warned! Han didn't fit her newborn clothes for long (if at all!)
Anna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2007 at 9:35am
I am with Nikki on trying other brands. I have accumulated a big variety of them and am finding fitted and prefolds my faves!!

With my wee babe I am using bummis covers and flats folded, have never had any leaks and they are easy and dry fast.

I wish i had tried a hire kit!!
Anna

Two Blondinis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Two Blondinis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2007 at 12:57pm
You'll have to let us know what size bubs is when he/she arrives

My MW said "smallish, 8 pounder at the most" pffft 9lb 7
Nikki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2007 at 2:57pm
haha, I will do! I was 6 pounds 7 oz - so hopefully "it" will be not too much bigger! fingers crossed.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>