FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBackpack carrier for DH to use....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
chonny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chonny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Backpack carrier for DH to use....
    Posted: 17 November 2009 at 9:35pm
HELP PLEASE!!! I am wanting to get a back pack for dh to use that he can carry one of our boys in whilst he goes bush walking etc. I have had a look on line at the phil & teds ones & am awaiting a price from a couple of people.

Has anyone got a preferred one or any suggestions as to what to get him?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2009 at 9:42pm
my husband loves wearing our daughter in the ergo.

AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2009 at 9:49pm
My DH used the Kathmandu one.
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
lilfatty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilfatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2009 at 9:59pm
DH uses the Ergo (and the kids love being in it)
Mummy to Issy (3) and Elias (18 months)

I did it .. 41 kgs gone! From flab to fab in under a year LFs weight blog
weegee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weegee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2009 at 10:07pm
Any SSC (soft structured carrier) would be good We love our Manduca but I'm sure an Ergo or for that matter a Patapum or Beco would work well too. I have tried a structured carrier like the Kathmandu ones and they're pretty good if you want to carry a lot of stuff along with the child, but they do affect your centre of balance a fair bit and they are significantly heavier than a SSC.

Check the weight limit on the different ones so you can be sure your DH can still carry Vincent for a bit longer. You might also want something that has a bit of extra length (like the Beco, Patapum or Manduca when it's unzipped) for carrying Vincent.

Mum to JJ, 4 July 2008 & Addie, 28 July 2010
lilfatty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilfatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2009 at 7:22am
I dont think Beco do plain though .. they seem to like flower prints

peanut butter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2009 at 8:18am
we've got a phil n teds escape and I love it. I can happily carry Tom (13.5kg)...but James always feels so light after that.

I got it from wikalotts...I think they have them on special at the mo. $180
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2009 at 8:25am
You are right Weegee, I can't use the Kathmandu one...Dh throws it on & happily walks for hours. Good that it has a little pack bit at the bottom & the sun shade.
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
chonny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chonny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2009 at 8:52am
thanks ladies, that's awesome help! I only looked at the P&T online last nite but thought it looked quite good. i would love to see an ergo in person, but i dunno if dh would use it :S he's quite fussy!

weegee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weegee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2009 at 8:58am
chonny, if it helps, I wore JJ in the Manduca for a day tramp with friends last weekend, and one of my friends is a very keen tramper/walker (he walked from Mexico to Canada, then went and walked the length of Japan), and he commented on how much he approved of it, that it's "a tramping ultra-lite version of a baby carrier" So you could probably "sell" a SSC to your DH that way.

chonny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chonny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2009 at 9:21am
weegee, do you have a linky to the manducca?

chonny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chonny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2009 at 9:23am
anyone have & use the patapum? this looks like one i saw at the P&C show a few years ago & thought it would be fab for dh! But haven't seen them since & they weren't there this year when i was looking for them .

weegee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weegee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2009 at 9:39am
You can get the Manduca in NZ from FancyPantz (they sell the Patapum too) or Precious Bubba.

I'd recommend searching for them all on YouTube too

Julia, there are plain Becos available, but what's the point, right?

lilfatty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilfatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2009 at 9:40am
My friend has a patapum (well they have a couple), her and her husband are keen trampers and they use the Patapum to carry the kids. (Age 1 and 4)!

lilfatty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilfatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2009 at 9:42am
Yeah Rach .. I would have thought if you wanted a plain Beco, you would just buy a Patapum

Oh and for the record the Beco was blardy fiddly to back carry with! (Although may be ok if you put the child in and hook them up then put the pack on your back?).

HippyMama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HippyMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2009 at 10:24am
I found the Ergo was great for when Erin was 2yo and we traveled back to Canada for a month, and we were on the road for a week from BC to Alberta and went through the Rocky Mountains etc.
Mama to two earth walkers & two angels.

Remember, you are not managing an inconvenience; You are raising a human being. ~ Kittie Franz

Next Slingbabies! Meet - Friday 4th May !!
rachndean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rachndean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 November 2009 at 1:37pm
DH uses our moby wrap with DS on his back. He calls it the ninja suit!! Heres a pic of him mowing the lawns.......... wouldnt be so good for long trips though for little person sleeping etc??

DD Savannah 18.01.04
DS Austin 04.09.08
kiwisj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kiwisj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2009 at 12:34am
My DH carries C on his back in our Ergo (and so do I). Longest walk *I* have done with C on my back is looking round Little India for a few hours one morning, I took C off my back when we stopped for breakfast and lunch.
SJ
Callum - Dec 2008
Daniel - Oct 2010
chonny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chonny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2009 at 10:28am
ok so the consensus seems to be for an ergo....what is the difference between the ergo & the patapum?

weegee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weegee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2009 at 10:48am
There's a great comparison chart for the Ergo and Patapum on this page

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>