FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedMost popular names of 2009

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Lexidore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lexidore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Most popular names of 2009
    Posted: 15 December 2009 at 10:43am

Sponsored Links

peanut butter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2009 at 10:54am
Wahoo!!!!! Neither my boys' names are on that list!!! YAY!!! I would have expected Thomas and James to be there but am secretly pleased they aren't
kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2009 at 12:34pm
Gah I hate that Daniel has made the list. When we chose that name there was no one we knew with a Daniel and now they are popping up everywhere
Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2009 at 2:52pm
I cant wait to see the nz top names list in a few weeks time!
Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2009 at 2:54pm
Anyone know any baby girls in nz called Audrey? The name is fine but reminds me of Audrey Roberts from Coro too much!
Chickaboo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chickaboo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2009 at 8:19pm
Glad to see Rhyley wasn't on ther e- like you stacey - there was only 1 Riley we knew of (and he was 10) when we named Rhyley but now there is heaps - glad we spelt it differently at least.

and what we most prob name this lil girl isn't there (but didn't think it would be)

emz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2009 at 8:54pm
Both my kids names were on the top of the decade ones - not surprised there but don't care either!
Rowsieair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rowsieair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2009 at 11:19pm
I like the name Audrey (can't stand Corrie so never watched it properly anyway), but it's my grandmother and he best friend's name, so DH says it makes him think of old people...but I know a few friends in the US who are or know young Audreys.

Rowsieair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rowsieair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2009 at 11:25pm

Cool Toby is not common ;) (Although since naming him, have noticed loads of dog called Toby...worryingly!!)

I've noticed loads of Ellas and Bellas...don't know why. Apart from that can't say I know any babies with the rest of the names.  My sister has a Hollie and a Phoebe, my brother has Chloe & Kiera.

My cousin just had a Sophie though which is on the list.

caitlynsmygirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caitlynsmygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2009 at 1:16am
neither of my kids names are on the list .
Was reading the comments too, never linked the name Hayley with the Hayley commet

Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2009 at 6:52am
Anyone know when the NZ Herald list comes out?
AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2009 at 4:12pm
Think it said in the article 5th or 15th of Jan
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
Daizy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daizy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2009 at 4:16pm
Wow, Maddi is original At least people will be familiar with her name...

I never wanted a popular name but it was DH's choice, I still would have lovd to call her Evie

ButterflyMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ButterflyMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2009 at 9:42pm
Well very happy Alan and Vanessa did not make the lis but seem's Michael and Emily are popular oh well 2 outta 4 not bad lol.

JodyR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JodyR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2010 at 4:11am
That was really interesting, I love reading these lists, even before I had children of my own. Has your NZ list been published yet?

My favourite one in the UK is when the teachers list comes out. It causes outrage every single year because they comment on them, "if I see a child named X on my register I cringe because they are naughty, while children named Y tend to have horrible tempers and children named Z don't turn up to school most days."

All these parents then write in to the papers to say "how dare they stereotype my child" while the ones whose childrens names we praised write in and by smug about it (I was delighted that my daughters spelling of Elisabeth was praised because they said Elisabeth's with an S are always clever and bright).

I know it's not exactly scientific but it always gives me a smile.

My name wasn't too common in the UK when I was born, especially with the Y spelling and all the other female Jodie's are spelt 'ie'. The only person I met spelt with a 'y' was a boy. But I do think your name has a big influence on you and different spellings can lead to different characters in a person or the way they are perceived.

Thanks for sharing the article, I'd love to see your official NZ list next.
lisa85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisa85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 January 2010 at 8:23am
Haha I love that they mentioned twilight names lol. When I named my two I wanted old fashioned names that don't get used much. Then well after I named them I watched the first Twilight movie and shuddered when I realized one of the characters was called Esme. Since then I have actually had people ask if I got the name from the movie
Actual fact it was my Grandmothers name.

TTC #3 since Jan 2010 - PCOS
MC April 2010
Andie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2010 at 3:29pm

Dag Nab It, I want an Edward (after FIL).  Now if I ever have one, people will think I got it from those daft Twilight movies!

Andie
High9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote High9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2010 at 4:49pm
You can get a list of top 100 boys and girls names in nz from the Department of Internal Affairs website, has the top 100 from 2004-2009. link but its in a pdf file.
Rowsieair View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rowsieair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 January 2010 at 9:44pm
Wow am amazed some of those names are in the top 100 lists...especially ones with odd/different spellings....to have one would be fine but 40-50 people all spelling their babies unusual names the same way in the same year?!

Emmecat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2010 at 9:06am
OK I haven't looked at the list yet but I just KNOW that Clodagh won't be on it  (although it might be on the Irish version lol)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>