FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedThings to take for an Elective C Section

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
BayGirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BayGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Things to take for an Elective C Section
    Posted: 02 July 2010 at 12:12pm
Hi ladies.
I just found out baby is breach so booked in for an Elective C Section next week. I have enjoyed reading this thread as prep.

I was wondering what sort of things i should pack in my hosp bag for the whole process, theatre, recovery and the postnatal ward after. Can you guys give me some advice on things you had with you or wish you had that made the whole thing more comfortable or easy. A comprehensive list would be good as i am really not sure at all.

For example what is most comfortable to wear when in postnatal wards after. I was planning on PJ bottoms/sweat pants and breast feeding singlets. But now that i am having a C Section i am not sure if these will rub on the wound?? I could just wear baggy Ts but they'll be a pain for Breast Feeding. ?

Is it true that your DP and MW get to dress baby while we are in recovery?? In that case should we have the baby clothes packed seperately??

Any ideas of things to wear and other bits and pieces to pack would be great thanks?

Edited by BayGirl
Sponsored Links

lilfatty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilfatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2010 at 12:21pm
I just wore the hospital gown .. when I was up and about I just wore my normal maternity wear but wore the hospital gowns to bed as it was easy for bfeeding.

Take a laptop .. hospital is boring! (oh and food!)
Mummy to Issy (3) and Elias (18 months)

I did it .. 41 kgs gone! From flab to fab in under a year LFs weight blog
tiptoes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tiptoes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2010 at 1:06pm
I just wore the hospital nightgown for the first couple of days and then wore my preggie clothes and breastfeeding tops.

I'm pretty sure DS came straight out with me into recovery and we tried to breastfeed straight away and did skin to skin etc... so he wasn't dressed.
BayGirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BayGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2010 at 4:45pm
Thanks ladies. It's all good stuff to know. Anyone else got any ideas??
Lulu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lulu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2010 at 6:16pm
Make sure you take heaps of 'nana' knickers. Big knickers that will come up over your c-section wound. I wore loose trackie pants and maternity jeans as I can't bear for people to see me in my pj's and I found these perfectly comfy. Baby was brought to me asap to establish feeding, no clothes necessary for baby. I don't remember anything else being that necessary but the best piece of advice I got from a lady that I was sharing a room with and who just had her third c-section is to make sure you take the pain relief! Control the pain, don't wait for it to be painful and then try to take relief. I can be a bit 'tough' with pain relief, as in I don't normally take it unless I really need it, but I found by keeping the pain under control I recovered really really well and was back driving and doing all normal tasks 11 days after giving birth.
Lou
Shezamumof3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shezamumof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2010 at 12:08am
Lots of big nana knickers! and pants that are not too tight, as you dont want anything pressing on your scar too much. Lots of magazines lol, with DD I was last on the list so waited from 7am until 12 when i went in!

I really really recommend having some arnica pills or spray and start using it before you go in and then afterwards, it really helps with your recovery :)

With DD they got me to wear a gown as soon as I got there, they are good for breastfeeding, and comfy for afterwards, but I changed into my clothes after I had a shower next day and worse bagg pants.

Both my kids were CS babies(DS emerg and DD elective)

Babykatnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babykatnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2010 at 4:15pm
Camera and charger/spare batteries!! The hospital midwives might take photos for you (if you want to see them) if the theatre staff allow, we got lots of photos, and even a short video of DD and I meeting for the first time.

Plenty of books/magazines as baby does a lot of sleeping, so as someone already said, can get very boring, esp since staff are usually VERY strict about visiting hours!

DD was on me for the first couple of hours while in recovery (skin to skin within the first hour is still easily achieved, and is often reccomended), and was just wrapped in a towel til I was in my own room and I dressed her in her first clothes.

As for clothes, I had a pair of loose leggings (maternity ones that i had strecthed to full capacity in later pregancy, so once bubs was out, it was very loose around the tummy area) and just wore my BFing singlet as they keep it very warm up there! Also allowed easy access to the leur and multiple blood tests! I had a warm dressing gown for once i was up and about just to throw over what I was already wearing, and slippers that could be slipped on without needing to bend down to put them on.

I also got those little cartons of juice concentrate and some nibbles like muesli bars and mixed nuts, you need to keep your fluids up to help establish BFing and I found adding some concentrate to make it taste nicer made me drink more water, I would also suggest expressing by hand in the shower between now and bubs arrival to get some colostrum production started, as the usual hormones dont come into play as soon as theyt would with a vaginal delivery, I had some there from the moment they put her on, rather than her sucking and getting nothing to start with in order to stimluate supply. Came in very handy as she went on a nursing strike on day 2, which would have compromised my milk coming in had I not established a small supply already. Alternatively you could get a product called milk Flo from most health food stores to help speed up the process.

Best of luck!!
Brandon - 05/12/2003

lisa85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisa85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2010 at 11:17am
I'm not actually sure if your allowed to, maybe ask your midwife but if I could do it again I would take my own pillow and duvet, maybe even sheets as I was in there for 5 days and the bedding is always so freakin hard and scratchy! It's bad enough the beds are so narrow and rock hard. At least if you have your own bedding you may have a better shot at sleep. I found that the worst. My c/section was great and I had no problems but I won't lie the first couple of days are really painful and all you want to do is sleep and recover. A comfotable bed makes all the difference!

TTC #3 since Jan 2010 - PCOS
MC April 2010
BayGirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BayGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2010 at 3:29pm
Thanks for all the advice ladies! C Section is tomorrow morn and i am off to pack hosp bag now!
LJsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LJsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2010 at 7:24pm
good luck for tomorrow i was so excitied before my elective c section with ds2. Couldn't wait to meet him was the same before c section with ds1. Had 2 electives. I wore my own clothes, losse tops and pants and the big nana knickers.

also i wasn't aware of the swelling in the ankles so do rest. i was up the nest day walking and standing too much and got huge ankles.!

Good luck
Nutella View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nutella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2010 at 7:04pm
I had my own pillow, a tri pillow and it was so nice to have it, I had taken it in for BFing..but I wouldn't bother with my own sheets coz they are likely to get messy. Own blanket would be nice tho, didn't think of that!

Oct 11
Babykatnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babykatnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2010 at 11:33pm
Tri-pillow was awesome, was nice for me to use as a pillow that helped me keep slightly upright so as not to pull on the wound, was great for BFing, and when DS came to meet his little sister, it helped him hold her without any of the awkeard hand/arm arranging

Yeah I wouldnt bother with sheets either, you dont wear underwear for a while, and they shove a huge pad under your bum, but when you move around sitting up and down etc it does get a bit skewwed, so the sheets can get a bit mucky
Brandon - 05/12/2003

_SMS_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _SMS_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2011 at 4:55pm
Just bumping this up to see if anyone else has anything to add.

I have a breech baby so might be needing a c section if he doesnt turn before 39 weeks. So any info would be good
InthemiddleMummy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote InthemiddleMummy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2011 at 7:37pm
i actually found low loose knickers/pants better, I found it wasnt actually that sore around the skin stitches as it had a big pad thing on it, I was sorest exactly half way between the tummy button and the stitches line. Does that make sense? Definately slip on slippers so no bending!

I had a great MW whom carried the essentials to theatre in a wee basket, I actually wore my contact lenses but just incase she took my glasses and my camera. You dont need any clothes for you or bub in theatre, gowns & towels all the way.

I planned for skin to skin asap, lucky she just had under a minute on the peads table then straight to me where she stayed for 3 hours, in the nudy under a towel & blanket. she was on me b/f then snoozin while they did all the stithes, theatre check etc, they weren't in a rush as no more surgery after mine that day.

the spinal block man was the one that lifted my head, droped the screen and took the photos so he was fantastic assistant.

everyone says a spinal block is better to recover from than a epidural and like someone else said keep ontop of the pain killers, dont let them wear off top them up before they run out!

I had my c/s at 12.15pm lunchtime and had all my close family come at 3pm and a few friends come at 7pm felt absolutely fantastic that afternoon/night, it became sore around 11pm just from lying on my back/aches.
it was about the 3rd day I was my sorest but I love having visitors but txt them and told them what time to come so I knew I wouldnt be feeding then

I didnt have any issues with slow/low milk supply with c/s but then I went into labour myself at 10am so maybe that is why my body triggerd it? who knows just be positive and enjoy it, its a great way to give birth. have you read the pro-c/s thread?

maybe post up what hospital you are giving birth at then others that have can give you a few tips as they all vary slightly.
Puddleduck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Puddleduck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2011 at 8:52pm
Just wanted to say that having a tri pillow or similar BFing pillow is an awesome idea, I wish I had had one in hospital - very hard lifting bubs with a luer in one hand and no abdominal strength at all!!

Otherwise dont take too much, it's a nightmare trying to cary it all out when you leave! (Especially since you wont be able to cary much at all).

_SMS_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _SMS_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2011 at 2:34pm
Thanks Ladies!!!

Also when were you up to visitors? Same day or not until the next day. So would i be able to have DD come in the same day? So long as i get to see DD i dont really care about other people. Eeeek so scared about being away from her
fallen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fallen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2011 at 3:15pm
I had close friends waiting for us in our room when we came back from recovery the past two times. It was nice to have them there though the nurses had to keep coming in and checking bleeding, my temp, bp etc. I was comfortable having them in the room for that, but there are other people who I wouldn't have felt comfortable with during that.

The last time surgery was quite late. Afterwards DF was making noises about picking up the two older kids and taking them home then bringing them to meet their baby sister the next day. I insisted he bring them to the hospital that night even though it was past Sebastians bedtime at least. They only stayed about 20 minutes, but at least they had a chance to meet her. Sebastian was really weird, he wouldn't come anywhere near me.

peachy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peachy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2011 at 3:53pm
SMS I had DD at 3pm in the arvo (and that was after a 27 hour labour and then emergency c section) and I had visitors within an hour and then all through the evening. Just my immediate family and DH's family though.

This time if I have to have a c section, my Mum will have DD in the waiting room and I want her brought straight into me as soon as my MW gives me the ok. I want her to be a part of the process as much as possible.
Shezamumof3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shezamumof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2011 at 5:06pm
With DS he was an emerg CS after 48 hour labour at 1.03am and I had visitors at 2pm I was shattered but SO happy to see my family and friends.

With DD, she was an elective, had her at 1.03(haha uncanny huh)pm and I had visitors about 3 or 4pm I think, again I was happy to see them and to show off my girl and I wanted to see DS!

_SMS_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote _SMS_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2011 at 8:59pm
Ok thanks ladies. Im booked in for afternoon so wont have visitors until the next day i think. Id rather get settled and hopefully start feeding well etc before hand.

Im going to take my own pillow. Thinking of taking a throw or thin blanket too. I hate boring white. 4 days in hospital in a plain room will drive me nuts
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>