FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedIt’s so hard to chose a good name...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
BessieBear View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BessieBear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: It’s so hard to chose a good name...
    Posted: 27 January 2008 at 1:36pm

Dh and i are finding it so difficult to choose a good name for our baby. there are so many different great names. How many middle names is too many. Your child will have that name for the rest of their lives so you want them to like it. I grew up through school and there was always at least 2 other sarah's in my classes. anyone else finding it a big task.

Sarah Mum to,
Boy 07/2008, Girl 03/2010, Boy 05/2012, Angel 07/08/2014

Sponsored Links

BabyOnBoard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabyOnBoard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2008 at 2:13pm
It is hard, I had names I liked but Arabellas father didn't and then we worried about naming her before we saw her because I wanted the name to match the face (so to speak) Arabella only has one middle name and because I have a long last name I thought that was best. But it is personal preference.

caitlynsmygirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caitlynsmygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2008 at 2:42pm
ha, as soon as i found out i was having a girl I got my baby name book and closed my eyes opened it randomly and ran my finger down the page then opened my eyes....
Pretty risky way lol, (tho if it had been a name i really didnt like I would have done it again til i got one i liked)
It landed on Caitlyn and while its never been a name i've been in love with , it fit all my criteria-it wasnt too out there , its irish, and it can suit her at all ages, then when she was born she looked just like a Caitlyn, so it worked.
I added Rhianna as her middle name then her dad (who i was no longer with ) asked if he could ad Marie as well and i agreed as I wanted him to be involved, so its a bit longer than originally planned, but I love it, i think it has a gorgeous ring to it , Caitlyn Rhianna Marie

My next daughter however i have already named, Amelia Rachel Jade, and she'll get that name whether she looks like an Amelia or not Gosh darn it!!!

sorry about the novel

anynames in particular that are standing out more for you?
Kels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2008 at 2:55pm

LOL Kelly I have already named my next 3kids too whetther they suit it or not!

Best of luck choosing a name Sarah.

My perference was to have pacific island name in the name either 1st or middle didnt bother me, to have a family name again first or middle and for my son to have his fathers first name as a middle name. Also like unique names too, Mercedes was going to be Autumn but didnt suit it so her dad named her Mercedes and it matched perfectly!  Alize was going to be Alize girl or boy and Lesieli was named after paternal nana who passed away in 1988. Lesieli was 1st born grandchild so it was an honour to name her after her Nana.

Busy mum to Miss 15yrs, Miss 10yrs and Master 4yrs
tishy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tishy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2008 at 2:59pm
Tell me about it! Me and DH are Irish and have a strong attraction to 'simple' Irish names that once outside Ireland become names that the kids would have to spell / pronounce for everyone they meet.

So do we name them what we want to name them or do we name them with names that would 'fit better' to NZ?

Currently we're going for the name them what we want to name them option
tishy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tishy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2008 at 3:03pm
Oh for the middle names we're just going to name them after their grandparents.
1st daughter after DHs Mum, 2nd daughter after my Mum.
Same for sons , but grandfathers names.

It's how all my siblings got their first names and it's saves the hassle of finding 2 names for each baby
Kels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2008 at 3:40pm

Name them what you want to name them. All cultural names suit NZ as we are very muticutural nation. My daughter Lesieli (which ia a tongan name for Rachel and Im not tongan)  is 12years old and has no trouble with teasing or anything about her name. People cant always get it right but if she sees they are trying she is fine with that. Pronounce Lesi is in lassie the dog and eli as in alley.  Ver easy once people get their tongues around it.

Go the Irish names!!!

Kels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2008 at 3:46pm

Great idea on the middle names too. My daughter is best friends with twins in her class since they were 5 so now 12 and each girl was named after each granparent. Eileen and Lorraine (altho Lorraine gets called Lulu) they are proud of their names as they are after gparents so have never had a worry with their names either. Actually in Lesieli's class there are all different names and Eileen and Lulu are probably the only european ones.

Daizy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daizy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2008 at 4:13pm
Ever since I was very young I have had planned out the names I want for my children, had never really thought about what the father would think. There are so many things that need to be considered when piking a name, both mum and dad agreeing (then in my case my family has to like the name too And it cant be a name of any friends kids and then it has to match last names and middle names too.... I dont know how we ever do it!
Last time we were lucky and the right name came to both of us a month before she was born and it has been great, now we are having trouble finding a name we like as much. With only 2 months to go lets hope the right name will just come to us.

caliandjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2008 at 4:32pm
Irish names are very popular in NZ there are lots of Kieran's and Siobhan's.

We've already chosen our childrens names for a girl it with be Catherine Sheryl - after Queen Catherine and my late mum Sheryl.

Boy will be James or Jamie as that is the one name DF and I can agree on. I want Henry or Fergus as a middle name.

We like traditional English names.

[/url]

Angel June 2012
emz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2008 at 5:19pm
We chose a name that wasn't a fad so much (although it is popular) as I got so put off teaching kids who you could tell which year they were born from which singer/actor was popular at the time. And we like normalish, strong names. I liked Jack, but in DH's family the son gets the fathers name as a middle name, and my son was not going to be called Jack Daniel! Eek! We've already got a cat called Jimmy after Jim Beam, so thought Jackson Daniel was a bit better lol

I've had a girls name since I was 14, its simple yet elegant I think. And DH and I didn't care about having more common or popular names, cos we are Emma and Daniel - 2 of the most 'popular' names out there!
susieq View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote susieq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2008 at 5:37pm
What would you call a boy Kelly(caitlynsmygirl)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caitlynsmygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2008 at 6:42pm
Originally posted by emz emz wrote:

I've had a girls name since I was 14, its simple yet elegant I think. And DH and I didn't care about having more common or popular names, cos we are Emma and Daniel - 2 of the most 'popular' names out there!

hehe, Emma and Daniel, those are Monicas two favourite names on Friends, but she "gives" Emma to Rachel (someone has watched friends a tad too much!)

I have no idea about boys names , I like Ryan and since the sad passing of Heath Ledger , who I've loved since "ten things i hate about you " I like Ryan Heath now

I love Irish names, and i love how they look different to how they sound, like Saoirse (seer sha) or Roisin (roe-sheen ) , so prettyful

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caitlynsmygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2008 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by Kels Kels wrote:

Pronounce Lesi is in lassie the dog and eli as in alley. Ver easy once people get their tongues around it.

Go the Irish names!!!

ohhhh, thats beautiful, Ive been sitting here saying it to myself cos i've always wondered how to pronounce it

fleury -If im allowed to offer my opinion (and i will anyway ) I think James Henry sounds nice
caliandjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2008 at 7:07pm
thanks caitlynsmygirl I like it too,
I'm a big fan of Tudor England which accounts for my liking of Catherine and while King Henry was a rogue I kinda like him.
I wonder if giving a son names of two kings says something about my expectations for him

[/url]

Angel June 2012
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2008 at 7:11pm
Originally posted by sarahbetha sarahbetha wrote:

How many middle names is too many?

My poor girls scored big in the middle name stakes, they are going to curse me when they get older and have to fil in offical forms etc. Their names ended up so long coz I wanted to include a Maori name as Willie is Maori and he picked the Maori names for them.

They are Maya Grace Te Irirangi Marama Davis, Sienna Marie Anahera Jayde Davis and Mercedes Kailah Waimarie Faith Davis.

We have a couple of ideas for baby but haven't really discussed it in much depth yet.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caitlynsmygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2008 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by fleury fleury wrote:

I wonder if giving a son names of two kings says something about my expectations for him

nope, cos to you he will be a king anyway :-)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caitlynsmygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2008 at 7:39pm
Originally posted by Maya Maya wrote:

Originally posted by sarahbetha sarahbetha wrote:

How many middle names is too many?

They are Maya Grace Te Irirangi Marama Davis, Sienna Marie Anahera Jayde Davis and Mercedes Kailah Waimarie Faith Davis.

oooohhh yeah Emma...the girls are gonna hate you ! (just kidding)
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2008 at 7:43pm
Oh no, they definitely will! I already groan when I have to fill out their departure/arrival cards when we fly, there's never enough spaces for their names
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2008 at 7:53pm
Working in a place around babies i can very safely say i have seen more than enough Ava's, Ella's Isabellas and gabriellas to last a lifetime in the last year, lots of Jacks and Jamies and daniels for boys.

It really depends on what you want to choose, Do you want it to be different (to lower the chances of there being 3 other kids in the class named the same) how different do you want it. like Out-there different or just nicely different or can't-ever-spell/say-it-right different.

Things to think about are whether its just a fad or name of the moment, whether you see them suiting it right through all age groups, whether it can be shortened to something - which some like and others don't cos they want their child called by their actual name (that was us), whether it can be turned into a horrible knickname, whtether the initials spell something undesirable, or if initials spell something that again can be turned into a horrible nickname, And also think about future kids, cos if you use kinda out-there name for the first, you can't really just have a Jane or bob for the second now can you.

lol

In saying that, while paris never gets her name said wrong, we often get people mistaking ayja's name for ayia if they don't see the j properly and think it's an i so she gets called something that sounds like "eye-ar" nearly everytime at the doctors, we also get a-jar. We also get people spelling it wrong on things, alot of people still get the y and j mixed up, or we get it spelt like Asia cos it kinda sounds the same.
I feel like saying "no - look at it!!!! you pronounce it Ay-Ja - sounds like you're saying age-ah.

Yep it's hard to choose a name, funnily enough we were set on Leo for a boys name if Ayja had been a boy, but when it came to pregnancy #3, Sage was just right, would have either been Sage (boy) or Saige (girl).

You'll find something, sometimes you just think you have one but it niggles at you and you know it's just not right, then choose something completely different instead - you'll know when you've found the right one, it just feels right.
Janine and her 2 cool chicks, Paris & Ayja

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>