FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWhat No one told you about Birth & Babies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
KABJ99 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KABJ99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What No one told you about Birth & Babies
    Posted: 25 March 2008 at 12:16pm
Hi All

Not sure if there has been a thread like this before and hopefully those who have already been down the path of Motherhood can offer some advice and information for those of us who are first timers so that we are prepared and not so ignorant.

Still have 5 months to go until I give birth but since we started telling people that we were pregnant, my sister and a couple of friends with kids have started telling me stories or giving information that they wish they had known before giving birth to their first.

ie.
A).Use a pump water bottle with tea-tree oil in it when you pee. Helps relive sting especially if had tearing or stitches
B). Put vaseline on babys bum for when the first poos come in as that blacky sticky stuff can be hard to remove

C). Take lots of undies and bottoms to the hospital, you could bleed a lot after the birth and its not like a period

Sponsored Links

CuriousG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CuriousG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2008 at 12:45pm
Have loads of panadol available afterwards cause if you have a normal VB, the bruising is really uncomfy and pandol is your best friend afterwards. I had no idea I would bruise (totally ignorant!)

Bobbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2008 at 1:15pm
oh and Arnica Spray is great too.
We packed olive oil for Rowan's bum for the mecconium but we didn't end up using it and it wasn't that hard to remove TBH.

I didn't know occasional puking was normal for babies as they often have mucous in their gut that needs to come out. So the only time Rowan puked was the only time I rang my MW in a panic sure that I had somehow poisoned her. It's pretty freaky seeing a jet of partially digested milk erupt out of something that small.

ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2008 at 1:24pm
i agree...and i didnt know about the after pains and that they were normal.. and that babies all snuffle..i thought he was having an asthma attack or something:)
Mum to two amazing boys!
peachy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peachy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2008 at 1:26pm
Remember not everything goes to plan! I never ever thought I would have to have a c section, but after 27 hours of labour, 3 hours pushing I was rushed in for an emergency c section and I am still dealing with emotions involved with that!
ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2008 at 1:35pm
oh yeah good point...i was fully prepared for a c section....i thought....because i prided myself on having no birth plan really and just going with the flow and being in hospital and induced i figured i would..but yeah it was still hard to deal with..
Mum to two amazing boys!
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2008 at 1:35pm
That it's OK not to be instantly in love with the squirming, gunky, bloody, screaming mess that pops out of you, sometimes it takes time to fall in love with them!

That breastfeeding bloody hurts to start with!

The Budget super pads are great for maternity pads as they are surfboard thick so offer lots of cushioning to bruised perineums, and you can wear two at a time.

Pineapple juice is great for afterpains (my m/w told me this one after I had Maya).

I'm sure I will think of more!

Oh yeah, not to let DH hold baby first coz if he's anything like my DH, he won't give the baby back!
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2008 at 1:37pm
oh i didnt know bout pineapple juice...

also that babies dont just go right back to sleep:)that the whole process gets repeated every few hours and it sucks at first:)!
Mum to two amazing boys!
Mama2two View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mama2two Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2008 at 1:55pm
Isn't it funny what you don't know and people don't tell you!!!

How about that it's normal for the baby to sleep for pretty much the whole first day after it is born to recover from the experience.

You can bleed for 4-6 weeks after the birth with the lochia.

The first poo after giving birth is one of the scariest moments in your life - you think everything is going to fall out but it doesn't

A newborn babies tummy is only the size of a marble so although it doesn't feel like you are producing much milk to start with it is plenty!

Edited by Mum2Sam

Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2008 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by Mum2Sam Mum2Sam wrote:

How about that it's normal for the baby to sleep for pretty much the whole first day after it is born to recover from the experience.

And that you should sleep then too! I stayed awake for hours watching Maya sleep, the she woke up and was awake screaming for 2 days, I was shattered!

Originally posted by mum2sam mum2sam wrote:

A newborn babies tummy is only the size of a marble so although it doesn't feel like you are producing much milk to start with it is plenty!

Yep, I was expressing 3 whole ml of colostrum for the gremlins at Birthcare, yet within days my milk came in and I was flooded!
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
mylilmosaic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mylilmosaic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2008 at 2:28pm
Hehe this thread brings back memories!!

Esp that one Maya - its ok not to love them at first sight, I know I didn't it definately took me time to actually find I loved this little person.

One of my memories is that straight after giving birth to J I swore I was never doing that again!! lol and here I am, famous last words!
thunderwolves View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thunderwolves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2008 at 2:32pm

heres one to do with labour..

When your waters break, thats not it, you just keep leaking. I had no idea i though that when they broke and it all came out, that was is, not that it never stops....

ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2008 at 2:35pm
oh and that only 15% of peoples waters break spontaneously.
Mum to two amazing boys!
peachy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peachy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2008 at 3:05pm
Oh just remembered this one "breastfeeding is so natural"......what a load of bollocks, its the hardest thing I have EVER had to learn to do! I had no idea it takes 6 to 8 weeks to actually learn the art of b/f and only then I would actually start to enjoy it!
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2008 at 3:35pm
That babies don't know how to sleep you have to teach them. Even though I have experienced that I still can't believe it, I mean really of all things not to know how to do.

MelandBri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MelandBri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2008 at 3:53pm
I was not prepared for the pain I would experience after the birth. Going to the toilet was hell. Ural is another good thing to take, it stops some of the stinging when weeing.

Once your milk comes in, breastmilk is a wonder cure for any scrapes, blisters on your nipples.
jack_&_charli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jack_&_charli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2008 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by peachy peachy wrote:

3 hours pushing I was rushed in for an emergency c section and I am still dealing with emotions involved with that!

same as me.........a year and a half later, i'm STILL coming to terms with it

Bel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2008 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by Mum2Sam Mum2Sam wrote:

And that this does NOT mean they will continue to do this the next day and the next!!

The sweeling/bruising surprised me - no one told that would happen!

Also the biggest one for me was that 1 or 2 pushes does not push a baby out (for most of us!). I never realised that you could push for 2 hours before getting a baby to hold...

and that whatever you go through - it will be all worth it in the end!

Mum to two beautiful kids   
Luke (09.11.2007)
Amy (01.04.2009)
Rachael21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rachael21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2008 at 4:32pm
if you lean over and touch the floor with your hands while weeing it doesn't hurt as much (if you have had stitches or graze)

Drink the kiwi crush it will help that dreaded first poo out. Holding it in is not a good idea.

Take nice soft loo paper to the hospital, scratchy stuff isn't so great when you have had stitches.

Bobbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2008 at 5:27pm
And if you do have an elective C-section the baby may not sleep through the night as it hasn't had to do as much work.

I never knew that about pineapple juice - I'll definitely have to try that next time. Makes you wonder why they give you orange juice in the hospital.

oh and if you're silly (like me) and ignore the advice to sleep or at least put your feet up when the baby sleeps (like me) then it will probably affect your milk.

edited to clarify elective c not emergency c

Edited by Bobbie

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>