FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedchinese products - are you

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: chinese products - are you
    Posted: 20 August 2007 at 7:57am
making any changes to the way you shop?

Just read on stuff that two boys were injured when their "low flame risk" pjs caught fire - the same brand that Jake and taine wear. And with that formaldehyde stuff in the clothing - not even Kiwimade clothing was exempt. I'm feeling a little bit like "what the hell?" no idea what to buy that is safe. taine has had a rsah on his back pretty much since birth that comes and goes. i've always put it down to asthma, but what if its the clothes?

I think that some oif this may be scaremongering, but it hits in a place where people aren't always necessarily rational - their kids.

scary scary stuff
Sponsored Links

fattartsrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2007 at 9:15am
I agree, Liz. Both my kids have dry skin/rash/exzema and now, I can't help but think???
I have to say, though, that there was an episode of NCIS or CSI or something a while back that had all these girls sick, and one died, maybe? because of sprays on some jeans they were all wearing. And, since then, I have always made super sure I wash and line dry before my kids wear any new clothes, hard as itmay be sometimes...
The Honest Un PC Parent of 2, usually stuck in the naughty corner! :P
MILF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MILF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2007 at 9:21am
it HAS made me think about the products and clothes i buy for the girls. but the problem is, of course i would love to buy new zealand made clothing, but the cost!!! compared to imported stuff, there is a big difference.

what childrens wear IS made in nz, from nz made fabric? i imagine that a lot of what is made in nz would be using imported fabric.

i will be following this news story with interest, as i am already starting to get concerned with the imported food issues. maybe its time to go hippy??? (organic cotton and merino clothing )
Lyla - mum to

Xanthe - my big 4 year old
and
Jordis - 1 year old
Kels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2007 at 6:39pm
A pity it is soooo expensive to use organic cotton and merino clothing.

Busy mum to Miss 15yrs, Miss 10yrs and Master 4yrs
yummymummy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yummymummy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2007 at 7:15pm
The stories have def made me re-evaluate things. I'm going to be more careful buying toys in the future and I think when the next bub arrives I'll buy some organic cotton and merino to wear while newborn. We have heaps of PP stuff (not that cheap either) and of course that's made in China too!!! And don't get me started on the food from China - it's really getting quite ridicilous to have to check ALL the "made in" labels!

aimeejoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aimeejoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2007 at 7:36pm
What makes it even harder is that if you buy food that says Made in NZ, a lot then also say made with local and imported products, so no idea where it came from. And clothing may be made here but fabric from elsewhere. I guess if you buy merino you know its from NZ!
Aimee

Hannah 22/10/05
Greer 11/02/08
lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2007 at 8:36pm
but then some products are manufactured in NZ and then sent to china for putting together. Makes me wanna join a commune...
nikkitheknitter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2007 at 9:08pm
Annie - it was House

Liz - I'll join your commune!! I'll make all the kids homemade clothes out of potato sacks and they'll be outcasts at school... so we'll pull them out and homeschool them. YUSSS!

Edited by nikkiwhyte

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2007 at 9:14pm
yeah, it was house. Good geekin' Nikki. Can I join the commune? I'll make banana cakes and lead the singalongs (and the air guitar practice)
lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2007 at 7:14am
who knows the words to "kum ba ya"?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fattartsrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2007 at 8:27am
me.
aimeejoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aimeejoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2007 at 9:02am
Me too! I wanna join your commune too, I can grow the veges. But Nikki, where are the potato sacks from?!
Aimee

Hannah 22/10/05
Greer 11/02/08
MummyFreckle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MummyFreckle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2007 at 9:49am

Originally posted by aimeejoy aimeejoy wrote:

What makes it even harder is that if you buy food that says Made in NZ, a lot then also say made with local and imported products, so no idea where it came from. And clothing may be made here but fabric from elsewhere. I guess if you buy merino you know its from NZ!

Not necessarily - our merino wool is often sent overseas to be made into garments.

aimeejoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aimeejoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2007 at 12:03pm
True, you just made me think about all the "NZ" brands that get their stuff made overseas...
Aimee

Hannah 22/10/05
Greer 11/02/08
lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2007 at 7:14pm
I am seriously considering taking all my warehouse pjs into the store and asking them about the low risk fire warning. my kids only wear warehouse pjs (thanks to nana buying up large), and now I'm realy stressing about them bursting into flame...which is weird cause i'm usually quite blase about things.
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2007 at 7:30pm
I don't know what to do about this either I feel like we should be able to trust what is imported (in large) to NZ, but I dunno how the Government (or anyone) could even start to try to regulate that! So much of our day to day stuff has had something to do with China....

I'll teach maths in the commune
MILF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MILF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2007 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by busymum busymum wrote:

I don't know what to do about this either I feel like we should be able to trust what is imported (in large) to NZ, but I dunno how the Government (or anyone) could even start to try to regulate that! So much of our day to day stuff has had something to do with China....

i feel the same way, i feel like i should be taking notice of this wakeup call, but dont know how to do that. do i search for NZ made manufacturers, and ask them if they fabric used is sourced from overseas or made in nz - and pay the increased price for those items, or do i suck it up and wash wash wash the clothes and pretend it is enough.

life certainly just got a bit harder for the ecologically aware average joe!
Lyla - mum to

Xanthe - my big 4 year old
and
Jordis - 1 year old
MummyFreckle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MummyFreckle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2007 at 9:03pm

I was quite shocked today - I walked around the Warehouse and couldnt find a single thing (towels, sheets, blankets, clothes, underwear etc) that WASNT made in China. Then popped into the baby factory and a similar thing there - all the merino woolen singlets were made in China too.

Fundamentally I am opposed to buying products that are potentially unsafe and I have always had a "thing" about buying chinese made products (am a BIG advocate of basic human rights!!!) - but realised sometime ago that unless I win lotto then I dont have an awful lot of choice.

I just cant seem to find a cost effective way to buy kiwi-made when chinese made products are so much cheaper and more accessable.

Peace View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2007 at 9:38pm
China is copping a bit of a bad wrap at the moment, you can't play with their toys, wear their clothes or fly their airplanes LOL!
DD1 May 2006
DD2 March 2011
DD3 August 2012
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2007 at 10:15pm
yep simsam it is a real dilemma...

i brought towels the other day from briscoes...i think i got the only ones not made in china...they were the nicest too luckily.

and am going to make sure i only buy non made in china peanut butter...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>