FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedSlings and wraps

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
daikini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daikini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Slings and wraps
    Posted: 21 September 2007 at 12:01pm
When #4 arrives, Josiah will just be 3 and Xavier will be 18mths. I walk Kiya to school, and have a Phil & Ted e3 for the boys. I've been trying to work out what I can do when there's a newborn to take as well. Josiah is very small for his age, and I think the walk to school and back will be a little too far for him. I'm eyeing up an Ergo (front/back carrier) anyway but I'm not sure I want to carry either Josiah or Xavier's 10kg that soon after giving birth!

I'm thinking either a wrap or a sling for Crumb would be the way to go, and put the boys into the buggy. What do you think would work better? I like that the slings are basically baby-brain proof! but I also like the versitility (sp?) of a wrap. Also (not that I've talked about it with mine) but do many of your DHs wear your babies in your slings/wraps and what do they prefer?
Becca, mum of 2 girls & 3 boys
Sponsored Links

MILF View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MILF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2007 at 12:36pm
i have a siddha pouch sling and i love it, it is so easy to use and was perfect for the early months with jordis, she was cocooned in it when we went anywhere. now i use it for support to carry her on my hip. one day i want to get adventurus and try wearing her on my back!

i also have a starflower ring sling, but it never got a lot of use, just too much mucking around to get it to the right length for my liking. but if i ever do try the back carry it might be perfect for it

i got the ring sling so dh could carry jordis in it, but he never has he just uses his "manly strength" and carries her..... then complains about how heavy she is!
gosh you are going to be quite the procession when you go to school arent you!
Lyla - mum to

Xanthe - my big 4 year old
and
Jordis - 1 year old
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2007 at 12:49pm
Hi Becca, I got a heart to heart sling from TradeMe for just $25. I already had a front pack but I find the sling so much easier to get baby in/out of and heaps more versatile. I initially put Kryssi in it as a very small baby, nowadays she sits on my hip still in the sling (I don't need hands and she doesn't slip out). It enables me to hold two preschoolers' hands when we cross roads etc, and Kryssi is quite happy to sleep in the sling. It takes a bit to get the hang of at first, and I've never mastered bf in it although they reckon you can.

I had a quick look at the ergo link. They have a good reputation and the baby looks snug and neck supported. I forgot to check until after I closed the page, is the baby able to turn front-facing in it? If not a middle-aged baby will always want feeding and an older child will get bored of the lack of view.

Brands - I have a baby gear front pack, I don't recommend it for small babies cause it has no head support, and while it's comfy to wear it takes a lot of getting in/out so is best for a school walk than a lot of in/out shops etc. I have a heart 2 heart sling, it's ok and probably entry level in terms of price and features. Baby wouldn't fall out of it but I'm sure there would be better out there.
Faraway View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Faraway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2007 at 1:05pm
You could always make one of each? There are directions on TNN cause I've been looking at them
daikini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daikini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2007 at 7:54pm
Thanks ladies

Originally posted by MILF MILF wrote:

gosh you are going to be quite the procession when you go to school arent you!

Yeah, Lyla, I know!

Originally posted by busymum busymum wrote:

is the baby able to turn front-facing in it?

Yes, Teresa, the child can face forwards when using the Ergo as a front pack.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 September 2007 at 8:22pm
You can also apparently put a baby in a back carry position with the Ergo. I would probably have both an Ergo and a wrap - with a wrap you really just need the right fabric.
scarecrowfarm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarecrowfarm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2007 at 10:11am
I've had both a baba sling and a Moby Wrap. Personally I wish I'd had the Moby with a newborn, and I think this would be especially so if there was an older sibling as it holds them more snuggly. The Baba Sling was okay when she was little, but I find now that she's bigger (and she's still only 6.5 kg) that my back gets really sore when I am carrying her in it, so I've had to retire it. I found the Moby to be the best option for me as I have a windy baby and it was one of the few that allowed her to burp

Now my disclaimer. I loved the Moby so much, I'm the one that was responsible for bringing them into New Zealand. So yes, it is now a business opportunity for me, but it wasn't when I purchased it and fell in love with it.
Tiff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2007 at 4:54pm
Hi Scarecrowfarm I just had a look at your website and I have to say I do like the look of the moby wrap! I have a couple of questions I wondered if you could answer for me. It looks very similar to the hugabub (although at a much more resonable price) would this be correct? Also the tying looks complacated but I'm buessing it is something that would become easy with practice??!! And lastly is it suitable for both mum and dad? Thanks

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarecrowfarm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2007 at 5:29pm
Hi Tiff, yes they're really similar to the hug-a-bub. I have an article on the differences and if you want to e-mail me through the website I can forward it through to you.

The tying looks complicated but honestly it only takes about 3 goes to work out what works best and from then on it is a breeze. There is a basic tie and then you can do a few different carries with the basic tie.

It is suitable for Dad also, but some guys seem to be shy about using them. On one of the graphics that I don't think I included on the website because I'm not stocking that colour there is a photo of bubs with Dad.
Tiff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 September 2007 at 5:55pm
Thanks for that I'll jump on your site now!
nikkitheknitter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2007 at 5:14pm
Becca - I really like the look of the Mei Tai. Jen just showed the one she made on TNN. I could try making one for ya in the next few months if you'd like? Hassle me about it if so
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2007 at 6:25pm
i am hoping to get a mei tai for this one. i tried one on with toby when he was a baby and it felt so comfortable and toby went to sleep in it. i think tho a sling like a peanut (think thats right) might be better to start with tho...
i dont think the ergo is a heavy carrier and i have only ever heard great things about them and i am sure i saw that bumbles was having a sale on them at the mo.
nicolaann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicolaann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2007 at 10:29am
Whats the website for the moby wraps??
Nicky, Mum to Alex (5) & Sophie (3)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarecrowfarm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2007 at 12:10pm
www.scarecrowfarm.co.nz. There's been a preorder sale on. It was meant to finish yesterday, but I'll extend it another couple of days.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarecrowfarm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2007 at 12:11pm
www.scarecrowfarm.co.nz. There's been a preorder sale on. It was meant to finish yesterday, but I'll extend it another couple of days.
nicolaann View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicolaann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2007 at 2:31pm
Great, thanks.... Ill go and have a look now!!!

Nicky, Mum to Alex (5) & Sophie (3)
daikini View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daikini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2007 at 2:54pm
Oh oh oh! I think I managed to talk my husband into getting me a Moby wrap for my birthday (later this month)! He said as long as our finances work out the way we think they will, he'll get it for me! Yay!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarecrowfarm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2007 at 3:04pm
Hey Daikini, if the sale isn't on by the time he orders this month, just get him to drop me a line and I'll give it to him at sale price.

Awesome news! I wish I could have got mine before our baby was born.
Bobbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2007 at 5:27pm
Oh this looks awesome - I was pretty much going to go with Hug-a-bub but this looks the same and is cheaper. I can't quite get my head around the instructions for the different holds though

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scarecrowfarm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2007 at 6:40pm
I could show you those if you have trouble. I'm on the North Shore too. It's not as hard as it looks, though I haven't braved the back hold yet.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>