FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedAnti-smacking conviction

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Jennz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anti-smacking conviction
    Posted: 22 November 2007 at 11:35pm
So what do you guys think about this? Link

They seem to be spinning it to make it sound like the law is affecting everyday NZ families- but the guy has admitted to losing it, and I'm sorry but if you hit your kid hard enough that your wife can take photos of the bruises then you've definitely gone too far.
Jen, Charlotte 7 & Kate 3

Sponsored Links

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2007 at 11:40pm
i agree, and he gets free counselling now too which has to be good if it stops him losing it in future...

caraMel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caraMel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2007 at 12:05am
I find it hard to believe 3 smacks with an open hand on the bottom could leave bruises unless they were very hard smacks!
It seems like a reasonable sentence to me and hopefully will be enough to deter him from smacking like that again.
Mel, Mummy to E: 6, B: 4 and:

cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2007 at 7:02am
Sounds like the law was used appropriately to me.

Paws View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2007 at 8:15am
I must admit I'm kinda wondering if we are hearing the whole story...I agree that he went to far though.

Still it is making me paranoid...

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2007 at 8:38am
i'm with my mum on this one - when we were groing up IF we were ever smacked it was only by her hand. She maintains that men shouldnt smack as they may not know how much power they are putting behind it. she also never believed in wooden spoons or anything else like that...

cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2007 at 9:18am
Yeah I'm one of four and mum and dad kept us all in check without ever laying a finger on any of us, I personally just don't ever think it is neccessary. We weren't exactly angel children either, we use to love to push mum to the limit. Then when she lost her patience we would go looking for it behind the sofa and under the table etc just to really annoy her.

I think a tap on the hand etc is not too bad, but personally I really hate it when I see a child being smacked I just think it is wrong. I wouldn't hit my dog I'm sure as hell not gonna lay a finger on my child.

Jennz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2007 at 9:42am
I think its really interesting we live in a society where it is illegal to hit any other person, its even illegal for us to hit our pets but we're allowed to hit our children? Just seems like a weird priority list where a fully grown man or a dog would be more protected than a child.

Jen, Charlotte 7 & Kate 3

Paws View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2007 at 10:08am
I've always personally thought there was nothing wrong with a SINGLE smack, as a last resort....anything more is just for the adults benefit and not the child's discipline!

Edited by Paws

nikkitheknitter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2007 at 4:55pm
I'm a bit behind the times here (and I think the bruises were on the shoulder, not the bum... which begs an explanation over how that happened if it was at the same time as the smacks) but for a mother to be concerned enough to take photos and show them to a relative, then there was definitely reason to be convicted. I'm really glad the sentence is proactive, with the counselling.

And Family First.. whatever. Blah.
Leish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2007 at 11:08pm
He grabbed the boy by the shoulder and put him over his knee then smacked him on the butt three times. Thats how he got the bruises on his shoulder.
 Post Reply Post Reply