FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedChild Friendly Outings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Child Friendly Outings
    Posted: 23 November 2007 at 10:38am
By request, a spot to rave about child friendly venues (and not so child friendly ones!)
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
Sponsored Links

Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2007 at 10:39am
I'll start, we love Butterfly Creek. Even if you don't go to see the Butterflies or the farm, the cafe has reasonably priced, decent food, there is plenty of room for sitting, and there is a playground in sight of the cafe so you can sit and have coffee while the kids play in the playground.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2007 at 10:39am
Not so impressed with Ark Cafe. They tout themselves as being kid friendly, and they are, but the food is overpriced and nothing spectacular.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
Bubbaloo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bubbaloo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2007 at 10:55am
I like Butterfly Creek although have to remember you need to strip of if you go and see the Butterflies.

I am also quite impressed with Scrummy Mummies cafe here in Christchurch James seems to like the play area so thats why it gets my vote the bad thing about it is the service seems to be quite slow some times.

Haven't really come across a bad place yet.

Was danni-chick

Mum to James

My Angel 28/07/08
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2007 at 10:58am
Hamner Springs Cafe, they didn't help my mum get the buggy in or out the cafe and were quite rude when Spencer started crying whilst she was queing.

cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2007 at 11:08am
Marshlands Garden Centre Cafe. Always very friendly, lovely organic food reasonably priced. Only downside is no change table, but we always manage.

cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2007 at 11:10am
Farm Barn Cafe (halfway between Geraldine and lake tekapo). Very friendly, and they unlocked a lovely brand new change area for babies for me to use. Fantastic views and great food as well.

Kels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2007 at 4:28pm

Defintely not a fan of Ark cafe, very very over priced and nothing to really suit kids on their menu.

They dont have an enclosed area for crawlers and toddlers and we couldnt even get our prams in Oh and they cover on of there 6 carparks with a huge rubbish bin In other words the parking suxs there too

Busy mum to Miss 15yrs, Miss 10yrs and Master 4yrs
Jennz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2007 at 2:24am
I always found the Remuera Kings Plant Barn on Orakei Rd good. My parents centre coffee group used to meet up there sometimes and it was always comfortable and baby friendly

ETA: Just to clarify I mean the coffee shop inside the Garden Centre.

Edited by Jennz
Jen, Charlotte 7 & Kate 3

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2007 at 8:07am
i like the ark...

hubby and i went for brekkie with the kids once and we got to sit and eat and not to worry about the kids cause they were enamoured of the car. they didnt want to eat cause they were too busy so we saved money there. i think it is better for older kids, they have the colouring in stuff at the water table and they supply sipper cups as well as adult cups.

but yeah the parking sux big time!   

lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2007 at 8:43am
We took the kids to the China Inn in Palmerston and while there was nothing fantastic about the facilities (ladies - no high chairs) - they were quite good about the kids running riot - and belive me - they were NUTS! the china innn staff were really indulgent of them
Two Blondinis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Two Blondinis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2007 at 10:32pm
We love Butterfly Creek too - very toddler friendly

I also have to rave about my local cafe (local to work)

The Servo on Te Atatu Peninsula is fantastic!!! Yes the prices are "city prices" but you're getting City quality food that has received so many top reviews!

They are more than happy to let 8 or more mothers all with strollers take over their outside area for the best part of the day even though they only ordered a coffee each and a few lunches

They even have a play pen inside for those needing confinement
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2007 at 10:43pm
ooohh, yes butterfly creek. My fave place to take the boys and have coffee.. a friend and i quite often meet up there after lunch and the boys sometimes get the playground all to their selves... only problem is gabriel loves the train and really wants to ride it every time.

i remember taking him as a baby with hubby for brekkie and they were great then too - gave us a banana for him and didnt even charge us... they have high chairs and smaller size meals too.

busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2007 at 11:09pm
You have to strip off to see the butterflies??????

I love the public library in Palmy. It's an awesome place to hang out with the kids. There are puzzles and books (of course), beads and even a slide and heaps and heaps of room so that they can make whatever noise they like and no one minds!!!
caraMel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caraMel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2007 at 11:36pm
Yes Teresa, don't you know how good butterflies feel on your bare skin?

Its really hot and damp in the butterfly house, can get a bit overwhelming if you've got too many layers on.
We love butterfly creek too!
Mel, Mummy to E: 6, B: 4 and:

peanut butter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2007 at 9:44am
The South Library in Beckenham is very baby and child friendly but the cafe is overpriced. However there are lots of places to sit and chat (its not a shhhh quiet library) and they have a baby time session on Tues mornings.

peanut butter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2007 at 9:45am
South City Mall's baby room is APPAULING!!!!!

I wanted to feed Tom so went looking for a parents room. All I could find was a baby change room. It is ONE room that has toilet at one end, microwave at the other!!!! In between is a bench and grotty change table.

I was so disgusted that I fed him in the food court.
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2007 at 10:05am
Originally posted by nzpiper nzpiper wrote:

It is ONE room that has toilet at one end, microwave at the other!!!! In between is a bench and grotty change table.

ewwwww That is gross

ShellandBella View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShellandBella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2007 at 12:05pm
Alchemy Cafe (aka Macmillan's Ceramics as it also sells a lovely range of ceramics, art work, clothes and other arty-crafty stuff), 92 Bateup Road, Richmond, NELSON

Alchemy Cafe

VERY child friendly - play area for the kids and change area for babies. Beautiful semi-rural setting, great food, average prices. Indoor-outdoor flow, lots of parking. Highly recommend if you're in these neck of the woods!

Bubbaloo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bubbaloo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 November 2007 at 5:03pm
Originally posted by busymum busymum wrote:

You have to strip off to see the butterflies??????

Just take layers off it's really humid and warm in there your get very sweaty.

Was danni-chick

Mum to James

My Angel 28/07/08
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>