FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked’Kangaroo Care’ during Elective C

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bobbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ’Kangaroo Care’ during Elective C
    Posted: 16 December 2007 at 9:49pm
Hi all,
I'm having my C on Tuesday and I was pretty keen on having the baby placed on my chest under a blanket while I was being stitched up or failing that having DH hold it against his chest.

My MW has said that because the baby will be a few weeks prem and is a bit small it absolutely needs to be clothed in singlet, growsuit, cardigan, hat and booties because it won't be able to regulate its temperature and the theatre will be too cold for it. Also apparently I won't be able to use my arms anyway.

My Aunt who used to be in a very senior nursing position at another hospital thinks I should be given the option to do Kangaroo Care.

I'm just wondering if any of you may have been in the same position - slightly prem, small baby and elective C and if so what you ended up doing.

Sponsored Links

peachy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peachy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2007 at 9:53pm
Lauren was born at 38 weeks and they put her straight on my chest in a towel and wollen hat! Maybe because she was 9lbs they could do that though??

Doesn't really anwser your question does it
peachy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peachy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 December 2007 at 9:56pm
Oh and you can use your arms, I can proove that, I have a great photo of DH, Lauren and I when she is about 1 min old and I have her on my chest and my arms are wrapped around her! Yes there are cords everywhere coming from my hand for the drips and stuff but thats all
Bombshell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bombshell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2007 at 9:17pm
DH held her next to me...naked but well wrapped up by them.....and when i was done they put her onto me (asked if i planned to BF) and she latched and stayed on the entire time they finised up and the whole trip down corridors back to my room.....was best thing we could have done...and she fed so well im sure as a result...

BTW she was elective at 38 weeks. Took a bit longer to stitch me up as they removed a fibroid but cause her apgars were both 9 they left her with DH and beside me while they were doing it

Good luck for tomorrow!!!!!!!!
Bombshell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bombshell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2007 at 9:19pm
btw i wasnt strapped (your arm comment) UNTIL i started ittching like crazy and they had to up my epi!!! until then my arms were just relaxed and spread....but i was there the extra time and maybe just wasnt properly dosed as was an unexpected thing to be able to remove that damn fibroid!!!

oooh im excited for you for tomorrow!!!!!!!!
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2007 at 9:49pm
My arms were strapped down but I don't remember when they unstrapped me, cause when Hannah was born they brought her around to see me, wrapped in a towel (she was 40wks and 9/10 agpar) and I stroked her face. But I was not able to hold her in my position - so unable that it wasn't even offered. But my DH got some cuddles
Bobbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2007 at 10:02pm
Thanks guys,
I'm packing a flannel swaddle as well just in case. I'll see how we go.

Still hasn't sunk in yet.....

peachy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peachy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2007 at 10:05pm
Why do they strap your arms can I ask? Mine were free to do whatever I wanted with them.
KH25 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KH25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2007 at 8:00am
I have no experience with C sect's but just wanted to say that the baby getting cold doesn't sound right. Ash and I always had kanga cuddles everyday in NICU and my body temp kept her nice and toasty as she couldn't regulate her own temp either! Bubs would def need a woollen hat and blanket but I would have thought that was all    Good luck by the way
Kelly, mum to DD, 19Jun06 (26wks 1lb15oz) DS1, 24Oct10 (32wks 4lb11oz) and DS2, 31Dec11 (32wks, 4lb11)
mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2007 at 9:33am
kangaroo cuddles would prob work if baby is cleaned and dried very well to stop any evaporation etc then if placed against chest with hat and booties on then dad's clothes over top plus plenty of blankets. The main thing is they'd have to check bub over first, and also make sure that baby's initial temp isn't too cold as otherwise it can just take too much to get warm again. Depends on weight too, if it is small as she said, then initially it could cause baby to get very cold, there shouldn't be any reason why you couldn't do it later in the ward or whichever, but you'd need to make sure baby is directly skin to skin with you then very very covered over top.

There has been research done to show though that it is most effective at keeping temperature with mothers as there is something in their body's innate abilities that when baby is placed between the breasts on the chest, the mothers area there will warm up to keep her baby warm.. fathers just don't have that ability.

Talk to your M/W about it and set down some requests and go prepared with woolen hat and booties and as Kelly said warm blankets. I think the hardest thing will prob be accomodating this in theatre as with c-sections they're usually pretty crowded although i'm sure that maybe while you're in recovery you could do it even if you don't get to do it in the first moments.
The main thing is still getting to do it, but keeping baby warm.. cos when they get too cold or if kangaroo cuddles are done incorrectly with baby not kept covered etc.. it takes an age to get baby warm again. We get alot of cold babies through to see us simply because they weren't kept warm properly with backs and heads and feet covered.

Edited by mum2paris
Janine and her 2 cool chicks, Paris & Ayja

kezplanet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kezplanet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2007 at 9:34am

I think taking the swaddle is a great idea, I realise this is too late & you would already be there,  I would have thought that if they placed baby straight on you and then wrapped a blanket around (her)(him) then tucked the blanket under your sides there wouldn't be any need for arms anyway.  True that babies can't regulate their temps but next to you your body regulates them - yes need still a hat & maybe even boots and mits but would have thought that would be all

Good luck for today!!

Kerryn, Mum to
Ashlyn(29/3/04), Anastasia(1/11/05) & Abigail (24/02/09)
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 December 2007 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by peachy peachy wrote:

Why do they strap your arms can I ask? Mine were free to do whatever I wanted with them.

I had an emergency c/s and my arms were shaky uncontrollably at first from the speed the epidural was put in. I suspect that's why the strapping - maybe they just held my arms, I can't remember.
SMoody View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SMoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 December 2007 at 3:07pm
I had an c-section back in SA. It is hard to do Kango care in the theatre as it is a bit cold. Why not let hubby do Kango care back in the nursery. Then as soon as you come out of recovery let them help you take your top a bit down and let her suckle and then do Kango care as much as you can. If you cant continue then let dad take over or someone else. It is actually a lot better if they dont have clothes on. Place the head between your boobs and use a wrap around or your shirt around. They keep their body temp up a whole better this way instead of in a incubator where the their temp drops and then goes up and drops again. Sorry I have a child that needs to use the toilet. Just pm me if you have any other question

Bobbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2007 at 12:52pm
Hey all,
Thanks so much for all your responses - thought I would just update you and let you know that while Rowan was dressed in the Op theatre (which was only about 20mins) as soon as I got to recovery they stripped her down to nappy, booties and hat and put her on my chest . So I was pretty happy about how it was handled - plenty of time for bonding. They left her there when they wheeled me through to the Maternity suite too so she got a good hour or so on me.

My arms weren't strapped either in the end, though it was a bit awkward to hold her as I was flat on my back and had the IV lure in the back of one of my hands. DH held her for me and I did have enough movement to touch her and interact with her.

All in all I was very happy with the whole experience and have to say NSH were absolutely fantastic!

Post Reply Post Reply