FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedJanuary & February Mummies 2008

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 1037>
Author
LittleBug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2008 at 5:15pm
lottiesmum, the infected breast sounds painful. Hope it's improved now! U r such a trooper for continuing to breastfeed through all that!

Hope things are going ok Freesia... will u be able to get anyone to come keep u company, help out etc. when your DP is back at work? Or can he maybe start off doing half days, or taking a break with u during the day or something? Hope that u start feeling a bit better and more able to cope without him around, healing up and getting used to being a mum at the same time must be a challenge!

Hmmm Arohanui, maybe it was the curry! My mum told me to avoid "windy" foods like cabbage etc. when breastfeeding because apparently it can give the baby wind and make them unsettled. I have no idea if it's a wives tale or if it has some truth to it! How did his first time at church go? Bet he was the centre of attention
Chloe (4 years) and Oliver (3 years).
Sponsored Links

lilfatty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilfatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2008 at 5:53pm

Its official!  Im a first time Mummy

Just trying out my new ticker ... hehe ... now off to uploads some photos.

Mummy to Issy (3) and Elias (18 months)

I did it .. 41 kgs gone! From flab to fab in under a year LFs weight blog
Danash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2008 at 6:09pm

OMG lilfatty that ticker pic makes her look like she a month old...  she's beautiful. Congratulations.

Hey Janey77 I just found this forum, bit slow on the uptake.  I'm blaming joining the Jan mummies for desert for Daniels early arrival.  I'm soooo glad he is here. 

okay going to read the previous posts now. 

Danash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2008 at 6:25pm

poo, my reply disappeared. Janey77 - I was told about the babywise book by a mum with 5 kids, she was given it for her fifth child and wishes she had known about it earlier, so must be good.  Now to find the time to go and buy it :)

Daniel had his 1 week check today and all is great, he's over his birth weight and putting on 60gms a day.  He'd taught me how to breast feed.  He took the boob straight away in the hospital and we have been on a roll ever since.  I think I am just really lucky. 

The last two nights he has slept for 3-4 hours but prior to that was waking every hour.  I've never felt so exhausted before, my eyes during the days would shut of there own accord and not want to open.  MW told us to keep him awake longer during the day which we did and well yeh now the 3-4 hours at night.

Has everyone had the foot pricks done???  Took 3 goes for our little man and end the end I was crying too.  It was horrible.  How am I going to deal with his first lot of injections.  Anyone that hasn't had the foot pricks done yet, apparantley the secret is to have there feet nice and warm - wish the mw had told me prior I would have had long leg pants and socks on him, anything for it to have been just one prick. - he did retaliate by pooing on the MW when she weighed him tho .

Time for my dinner, before he wakes for his....  looking forward to chats with all the new mummies.

lilfatty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilfatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2008 at 7:07pm

Is that the Guthrie test?  Isabelle had hers and yep she cried .... and man it takes loads of blood to fill up those circles!

Brenna View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brenna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2008 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by Verena Verena wrote:

poo, my reply disappeared. Janey77 - I was told about the babywise book by a mum with 5 kids, she was given it for her fifth child and wishes she had known about it earlier, so must be good.  Now to find the time to go and buy it :)

Lurking - I have his book and found it really helpful
My beautiful 2 girls...nearly 4 and 13 months
LockieandLiam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LockieandLiam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2008 at 8:19pm
*Lurking* too - I got told with DS that it's not a bad idea to feed them while you get the Guthrie test done. Worked a treat for us he didn't cry at all. Mind you probably perfect timing by the midwife to come in while I was feeding bubba.

LockieandLiam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LockieandLiam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2008 at 8:20pm
By the way gorjus photos of your bubbas - they all look so tiny, its going to feel strange holding one that size again.

mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2008 at 9:01pm
Aw so exciting ladies.

Just a wee tip after reading about the foot pricks.., (i have to do foot pricks for the PKU tests all the time) try to make sure you do have nice warm booties etc on baby before hand, if all else fails and the 1st prick doesn't work, they usually have gloves around in the hospital or with them at home when they do the blood test anyway.. fill one up about half way with warm water and tie it off, use it like a little hotty bottle on the heel that's going to be/been pricked.. heat helps the blood vessels dilate - makes it easier for it to bleed without them having to squeeze too much... sometimes even means that the initial unsuccessful prick starts to bleed easily.    Another great tip is sometimes if they are feeding they don't notice it too much although some people don't like to do this out of fear of having baby associate feeding with the pain, but not really too likely if it's a oncer.

And yep bubs do have tiny tummys, a newborn baby's tummy holds approx about 20 mls at one time, and slowly expands over time as they grow, helps to know that when you are worried if they are getting enough, also helps to remember that when they seem to feed all the time, - little tummy means fuller quicker, but empty quicker too, so needs filling again more frequently - hence the icky cluster feeds. doesn't make it any better on you though, i hated the cluster feeding for the 1st week or so.

oooh good luck ladies.
Janine and her 2 cool chicks, Paris & Ayja

babyg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babyg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2008 at 11:32pm
**lurking**

I never let the docs do heel pricks on Carys while i fed cos i didn't want her to associate pain with it as mum2paris has said. (But she was getting heel pricks three times a day for a couple of weeks so oncers might be different).
Ev, Mum to:
Carys Ruby - 4 October 2007
Spencer James - 2 July 2010
lilfatty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilfatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2008 at 8:13am

Good morning lovely mummies

Gosh it feels good to be home!  Isabelle is a dream baby ... she went down at  11.30pm after her feed, then woke for her next feed at  3.30am ... then let mummy and daddy sleep right through till 6.30am!

Golly ... its bliss, anyway I fed her....then put her back in the bassinette to sleep (her 2nd favorite passtime).

Im amazed at how well she settles in her bassinette ... she didnt like to be away from mummy at the hospital so I was a little concerned she wouldnt go down on her own ... but as long as mummy or daddy are next to her when she goes down ... off she goes

arohanui View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arohanui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2008 at 9:01am
Yeah I fed Harry while he was having his foot prick test... he did a few little cries but I think it distracted me as much as him! (I was just looking at his face, rather than seeing what they were doing down there). Oh and the lady who did the tests did the whole warm water in a glove thing too.

I've heard/read varied things about babywise, so I've decided I need to find it at the library and decide for myself!

Well after saying Harrison didn't really like his baths that much, I figured out why - put the water a bit warmer and he absolutely LOVED it. Just lies there chilling out. It's his special time with daddy too which is nice.

Since I've been feeding him 3 hourly during the day, we've had some awesome night sleeps! Last night he slept 9.20pm til 2.40am (just over 5 hours) and then 3.30 til 8.10am (just under 5 hours). It was fab!

Julia, Isabelle is sooo cute. She looks so alert in that photo! Can't wait to see more pics

Verena, that's fab Daniel is doing so well with his feeding! I was doing an ohbaby search on breastfeeding the other day and found a post where you were concerned you wouldn't be able to do it - so I'm so glad it's all good!
Mama to DS1 (5 years), DS2 (3 years) and...
Freesia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freesia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2008 at 9:05am
Olivia only gave a small moan for her heel prick thank goodness. The poor thing had been poked at so many times for IV lines and things by then.

We're trying to keep Olivia up for a little longer during the days to help her sleep more at night. The first night didn't work at all! Last night went a bit better and she was nearly 3 hours between her feeds. We have to laugh because she is so awake at nights. They say to avoid eye contact at night because it stimulates them and keeps them awake but when these huge gorgeous eyes are looking up at you it's so hard.

DP was back off to work today. He really didn't want to go. Because we were in and out of hospital he hasn't really had that much time with Olivia and he also knows that there's going to be a huge mess to sort out at work. That'll be a fun job when you're half asleep from tiredness anyway.
lilfatty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilfatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2008 at 9:11am

Freesia ... I feel sorry for the DHs when they have to go back to work ... I know for a fact that mine doesnt want to go anywhere ... bless him.

I was feeding Isabelle when they came in to do the Guthrie Test .. but they actually took her off me and stabbed her and prodded and she screamed!  But as soon as she was finished she popped back onto the breast and she was like yuuummmm

My mw is coming to visit us today ...  .... oh and had MIL on phone today checking I wasnt depressed (bless her) ... she said oh you sound so cheery!  Im like, yeah well the best thing in the whole world just happened to me

Freesia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freesia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2008 at 9:13am
Arohanui, I'm so jealous of Harrisons sleeping patterns. Since Olivia was born I think I've had 1 3hr sleep and all the rest have been 2 hrs at most. We're seeing our midwife today or tomorrow and we have a whole lot of questions for her regarding feeding and sleeping so hopefully she'll give us a few hints.
emz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2008 at 12:41pm
Just found this thread!

Jackson's doing well. Has finished his 2 week growth spurt (not fun - never slept and just fed constantly), so not looking forward to the 6-week growth spurt that's for sure!

He feeds about every 3-4 hours which is fine by me. He's strictly formula-fed now as well because I couldn't handle the pain of the extra weight in my boobs (I need an op so it just wasn't working, I kind of knew it may not as I'd been told not to breastfeed anyway). Only thing I hate about formula is the poos. Although at least you don't get squirted as they're more solid! He packs away about 100mls at each feed which is pretty good, but has a habit of getting his hands near his mouth, spitting some out then rubbing it all over his face Boys aye?!

I breastfed Jack while he had the guthrie test done and he didn't even flinch! They actually waited to do the test until he was feeding. Worked a treat.

I'm just so glad I'm getting a break during the day now. He was such a perfect baby for the first 2 weeks, then when he had his growth spurt he turned into a little demon but now he's back to being good, although he's getting a bit grizzly at tummy time cos he tries to move and can't much. I keep telling him that I don't want him to grow up too quickly, but he doesn't seem to be listening to me...
emz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2008 at 12:42pm
Oh, and my boy was weighed the other day, was 3.48kg at birth, now 4.25kg! What a fatty!

Edited by emz
LittleBug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2008 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by lilfatty lilfatty wrote:

... she said oh you sound so cheery!  Im like, yeah well the best thing in the whole world just happened to me

Awwww lilfatty, u r so cute

Glad to hear things seem to be going well with all your bubbas! I like reading about them... gives me some impression of what to expect!!
Chloe (4 years) and Oliver (3 years).
lilfatty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilfatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2008 at 1:04pm

Wow Emz ... he needs my "nickname"

Janey ... mummyhood is even better than it sounds!

Freesia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freesia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 January 2008 at 2:19pm
Just saw my midwife and Olivia weighed 4250gm, a gain of 120gms in 4/5 days - not bad but the midwife would like 200gms better. We're going to try expressing to encourage a bit more milk which could be her problem and which could explain why she's unsettled a bit.

So we have another plan of attack and will see how she goes. We had a huge list of questions to ask her - mainly things asking "is this normal?". There are so many things we were unaware of beforehand. What a learning experience
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 1037>