FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedJanuary & February Mummies 2008

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 1037>
Author
LittleBug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: January & February Mummies 2008
    Posted: 22 January 2008 at 1:11pm
Couldn't find a forum for the new mums for this month (and ones due next month, Verena) ..... so I decided to make one myself.

Could we have this stickied please Maya?
Chloe (4 years) and Oliver (3 years).
Sponsored Links

arohanui View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arohanui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2008 at 1:29pm
Oo how exciting. Better get the ball rolling.

How's everyone finding it?

Harry is feeding hardout at the moment, he'll take one side then the other, and then go back one more time each side - so 4 times! Then he sleeps for quite a while. He's living in just his nappy at the moment cos it's so hot. But he sleeps better wrapped, so this morning we did (in his muslin), but then when he woke up he was all sweaty on his back. Poor little guy. So now he's just sleeping in his nappy with one layer of muslin kinda tucked over his body, with a gap at the top and bottom. It's soooo humid!
Mama to DS1 (5 years), DS2 (3 years) and...
WRXnKids View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WRXnKids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2008 at 2:01pm
Joshua is all over the show with his feeding somedays he will wake every 2-3 hours and want feed about 80-100ml and then there are days like today when he is up after only sleeping for an hour wanting fed and not just little feeds!! Also he is staying awake longer which is exhausting especially in the middle of the night. Its quite cool here today so he is tucked up warm but otherwise he has been living in a singlet with a muslin for a sheet in bed and yeah he was waking up sweaty. Im glad DP isnt working i could not do this every day and night on my own. I am in awe of single mothers!!!!!
MissCandice View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MissCandice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2008 at 2:03pm
Wrx chick - one way to get past the long late night feeds, is get him up when you hear him stir, dont turn on lights and dont change him, unless hes done no2 or wet through.. Its more like a dream feed, worked wonders for kylah, when i finally thought about it lol.. Just got her up, fed, back to bed. I was up 10 - 15 min max!

Your doing wonderful ladies!
And congrats!
~ Mummy to a beautiful girl ~
ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2008 at 2:42pm
hi everyone..far out ..three long weeks and I should be here!:) crazy!
Mum to two amazing boys!
WRXnKids View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WRXnKids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2008 at 7:08pm
Thanks Kylahsmum been trying that but he seems to wet through several times a night and have had to formula feed so he starting to get worked up by the time we get the bottle ready. I think we are starting to get better at it though.
LittleBug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2008 at 7:11pm
sounds like a busy time for u new mummies... I can't wait to be able to join this thread properly when we have our bubba, but at the same time I don't feel ready for all this!! Can't make up my mind... guess it's too late to back out now anyway

Is it exhausting feeding a hot little baby all the time? Every 2-3 hours, gosh that's a lot...
LittleBug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2008 at 7:12pm
is he on formula full time wrxchic? (if u don't mind me asking)... how much does he drink? I have no idea how much a baby would drink...
aimeejoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aimeejoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2008 at 7:23pm
OMG just had a slight panic seeing this and realising I will be in here soon too Hope everything is going well for all you new mummies and that the rest of us get to join you soon.
Aimee

Hannah 22/10/05
Greer 11/02/08
Bobbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2008 at 8:09pm
wrxchic Rowan was just like that at 2 weeks. You'll be happy to know she sleeps better at night now but she's just started feeding every few hours again (I'm guessing it's another growth spurt)

Freesia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freesia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2008 at 12:42pm
Olivia was on the breast for about 20 mins each side last week and now she has gone down to only about 5 mins a side. I'm guessing because my milk has come in she's getting more of it faster but she is also 'snacking' every hour or two. My midwife said that in the early days they tend to cluster feed and just to hang in there.

We're struggling more with trying to get her to sleep afterwards. She was sleeping well as long as someone was holding her and as soon as we put her in the crib she grizzles and then cries. We don't know whether to try and leave her for a few minutes to see if she'll settle on her own or not yet. Then today she just doesn't seem to want to sleep even though she looks really tired. She sits there awake eyeballing everyone. It looks really cute but it just takes so long to get her to sleep.
arohanui View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arohanui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2008 at 3:22pm
We had our midwife visit this morning, she is very pleased with how Harry is doing and he's nearly back up to his birth weight. My milk has come in a bit more, so now he's feeding just 2 sides. He pretty much has a feed, change nappy, awake time, then another little feed (not always though), then a sleep. Then it starts all over again We're gonna try and start him on a bit of a routine during the day, feeding 3 hourly. He's pretty good at sleeping at night, generally lasts about 4 hours, so we're hoping that by waking to feed more often during the day he'll last even longer.

Amber I can totally recommend the Happiest Baby on the Block. There's a dvd that is great to watch. It's pretty much a technique on how to settle baby. We find it really good, it might work for you guys too.

Right, off to look at photos of Olivia!
WRXnKids View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WRXnKids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2008 at 4:21pm
Joshua is full time formula now tried the breastfeeding again and it just wasnt happening midwife was glad i made the formula decision she said if she had had the same nipple damage she would never have tried again Im happy at least i know i tried my best.

We are demand feeding and Joshua drinkin about 100ml every 2 hours (growth spurt at the moment) he is well above his birth weight and put on 380gms in 5 days and midwifes aim for them to increase at least 20gms a day so at least i know he is better off on the formula. He is now 3.8kg (born 3.4kg) and i reckon after all the feeding last night he prolly put on a full kg in 24 hours hahaha midwife even called him a porker when she weighed him. I think based on his weight he is suppose to be drinking about 120ml every 3-4 hours i cant remember the midwife did work it out for me but with the recent pig out he having i forgot. Midwife happy with how he going.

We having trouble with him settling in his bed but looks like its probably the wind thats causing all the problems so trying cooled boiled water now to bring it up easier which was working until last night apparently all the extra growth spurt feeding will cause him to have a sore tummy so settling him today has been impossible but he down now yay!!
LittleBug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2008 at 4:38pm
Sounds like all the babies are struggling with sleep, one of my friends said that she has a book called "Babywise" or something which is about sleep routines, and she said that I should get a copy for when bubs comes because she has found it invaluable. And she is on her second baby. I have no idea what it's like, personally, though... since I haven't read it yet and don't have a baby to try it out on yet

Sounds like u made the right decision on going to formula, wrxchic!

100mL doesn't seem like a lot!! But I guess they have little tummies, and since they are feeding so often they are probably getting heaps! (I have so much to learn about babies). I don't know why, I was just interested to know the amount of milk they might be drinking

Where do u get the DVD, arohanui?
arohanui View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arohanui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 January 2008 at 4:52pm
Hmm I'm not sure where to get the DVD from, I borrowed mine off a friend - libraries might have it, or to buy off trade me...
LittleBug View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2008 at 5:10pm
Nursie just posted a pic in the Jan thread of her bubba when it is BRAND new! (not for the faint hearted)

oOoOo and for those that haven't seen the "Baby Charly" thread yet:

"Hannah May Fidler born 1.34pm after 6 hours of labour. 7lbs 5oz. Absolutely gorgeous and already had a feed :-) "

Yay Charly!
Freesia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freesia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2008 at 5:54pm
I love the name May and the January girls are evening the tables up now!

We have done a bit of reading and tried a few different things this last feed and Olivia went down a lot easier and has slept for 3 hours at the moment. I guess we just have to figure out what works for us. We got quite messed up by being in and out of hospital.

We're going to be looking into all the suggestions you guys have made about dvd's and books. We are sooo kicking ourselves for not looking into these while pregnant instead of trying to play catch up now. I just really thought that we'd get a lot more information and advice from the hospital.

We've got the bath all ready to go again tonight. So far DP and I have only bathed her once each (in the tub) and she by far preferred her daddy to do it. They just look so cute in there. Hopefully it'll settle her down a bit before bedtime and she'll goto sleep a little easier.
lottieandharry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lottieandharry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2008 at 12:13pm
Hi all, bit quiet here, guess we are all busy with our wee bundles. Harry is doing well in general, has a couple of periods a day where he is unsettled and up and just wanting to feed on and off for a couple of hours. Unfortunately it was 3.30 -5.30 am this morning. not so fun.

Breast feeding still an issue for us. Left hand nipple hasn't healed yet and turns out it has an infection, apparently quite a heavy growth too. No wonder it is constantly painful and won't heal properly. Seems history is repeating itself, having all the same probs on same side as I did with Charlotte. I had convinced myself it would be a piece of cake this time. Boy was I wrong. MW doesn't know how I kept going with her but I am a stubborn old mule!! I am determined to perservere and get it right as I really enjoy it when it is going well!! Hubby raced into CHCH to pick up the prescription for antibiotics as there is no Pharmacy open here. He is so amazing, he is doing so much for us right now!

Anyway hope all your wee bundles are behaving themselves! I am off to stay with Mum for a week as DH away for work. Not up to 2 by myself just yet especially as I am not supposed to be lifting or driving!! Will hopefully keep updated at Mums but if not catch you back on Friday!

Katie

Freesia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Freesia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2008 at 1:53pm
Olivia is doing the same, she has her unsettled periods (usually in the middle of the night) and she will stay awake grizzling and feeding for 2-3 hrs between one feed and the next. For some reason it just seems that much harder to deal with in the middle of the night.

I'm starting to get a little worried about coping on my own when DP goes back to work next week. Because of the c-sect I'm still not getting around normally and I start aching pretty quick if I have to try and settle her.

One day at a time and we'll get there. I'm really looking forward to when she can start interacting with us a little more. She follows us around with her eyes and can hold her head up pretty well already. For over a week she's been able to sit there for a little while holding her head straight up on her own.
arohanui View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arohanui Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2008 at 3:40pm
Wow Freesia, sounds like Olivia is doing great. Do you have anyone who can help you out a bit when your DP first goes back to work? Or is he able to come home for a long lunch or something?

Lottiesmum, gosh I feel for you with the infection.. that must be so hard. Good on you for sticking with it.

Harrison had an unsettled day yesterday.. and I figured out why. I think it's cos I had curry for dinner the night before . DH's mum was staying with us and I asked her if she thought it was ok and she said yeah it would be fine. Well his first night time sleep was ok (4 hours - his usual) but then he was waking up every hour being real unsettled and wanting to feed heaps. We went out for breakfast and he slept fine then, waking up at 11am, and from then til 5pm he was just feeding constantly and being unsettled and had heaps of wind. He had a couple of very short sleeps (like 10 mins) and then woke up crying again - very unlike Harry. So when my mum came round that night I asked her if there's any food I shouldn't eat while breastfeeding, she said that some people find curries make babies unsettled - she didn't know I'd had it the night before (it wasn't even hot!). I felt so bad, definitely won't be eating curry again.

BUT today he is back to his normal self! Yay. He slept 4 hours then 3 hours last night, and today I've been waking him up every 3 hours for a feed. He's normally a really cruisy contented baby, so yesterday was real unsettling for me too. And so exhausting feeding all the time!

Is there any other food anyone knows I should be careful of?

We're gonna give Harry another bath this afternoon too. He doesn't like the bath so much, but absolutely LOVES the massage after. Then we're taking him to church for the first time tonight, so no doubt he'll get lots more cuddles.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 1037>