FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedUmbrella strollers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AN E View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AN E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Umbrella strollers
    Posted: 04 February 2008 at 11:31am
We are traveling to USA in May when DD will be 11 months. I am thinking that an umbrella stroller would be good, for getting her around airports etc. Is it worth getting one that has a lay-back option?
Any thoughts / recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links

Paws View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2008 at 11:40am
We have a Safety First Quickmart...no lie back option but we haven't needed it...although it is more expensive than some cheaper umbrella strollers it has the advantage that it folds down to the fit in a backpack that it comes with...it also is 3 wheel so we don't kick the back of it which is great!!!

mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2008 at 11:48am

I have a cheapy and I love it. It stays in the boot of my car so I always have it with me. I am still not sure if i'm going to use it at the airport with me later this year.

I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2008 at 12:30pm
I had a $30 Warehouse umbrella stroller with Maya, it didn't lay back but it was light and portable and compact which was all that really mattered and I used it almost to death.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
AnnC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnnC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2008 at 12:32pm
when we took Rhyley to Uk/usa when he was 4 months I got a childcare lie back stroller. Good size to be able to take to the plane - but NOPE no one got to take any typ e of stroller on the plane BUT most places let me keep it up until the departure lounge where they then took it before going on the plane and you got it back where you collect your suitcases.

We are heading to Australia in a few months time Rhyley will be 17 months and I will still take one that lies back - he likes his sleep and it is so much better if you can lie them down.

The childcare pram cost me $99 for memory but you might picko ne up on trademe cheaper.
Ann

Also Mum to Josh (15) and Brooke (10)
AliaDawn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AliaDawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2008 at 1:57pm
I looked at the childcare ones - $120 RRP I think, but ended up going with a $70 down from $100 non lie-back one from farmers - we use it as our main stroller now, I got sick of the bulky buggy, and Seb was old enough to sit up... hates sleeping in anything but a cot anyway.

Paws View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2008 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by AnnC AnnC wrote:

when we took Rhyley to Uk/usa when he was 4 months I got a childcare lie back stroller. Good size to be able to take to the plane - but NOPE no one got to take any typ e of stroller on the plane BUT most places let me keep it up until the departure lounge where they then took it before going on the plane and you got it back where you collect your suitcases.

That is the advatage of our one....small enough to go on the plane as cabin baggage.

But it can be just as easy to hand it over at departure.

AN E View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AN E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2008 at 5:04pm
Thanks for your replies! I think I like the sound of the one that folds into a backpack!
Off to search the internet..
Paws View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2008 at 5:22pm
check out The Deal for the best prices on it.

HippyMama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HippyMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2008 at 10:55pm
Am I ever glad to have caught this thread, we are travelling overseas this year too and I am looking to trade up on our current 'umbrella stroller' - the one you have mentioned Paws sounds really good.

Edited to add: Though I can't seem to find it on thedeal.co.nz site?

Edited by Pearls
Jennz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2008 at 12:14am
We also had the safety first back pack one. Bought it from Baby factory. We took it as carry on on our way over here- very handy! Takes a bit to learn to fold/unfold it, but once you've got it its easy.

Jen, Charlotte 7 & Kate 3

Bayley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bayley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2008 at 1:08pm
Hi Paws - I am flying to Fiji next week with my 8 month old son (alone!!) and I'm wondering if you think this stroller would be worth buying for that? We'll probably use it again in the future but I was always planning on getting one that could recline - do you think it would matter for an 8 month old?? We have a Phil & Teds buggy for everyday use and never drop that down anymore - he doesn't really sleep in the pram anyway and if he does he's happy sitting up. Also, is it worth the money, and is it easy to steer? Thank you

Edited by Bayley
Jennz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jennz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2008 at 11:48pm
We're getting a quinny zapp for Kate when we go on our next trip- I did lots of hunting and it looks ideal if you don't mind not having a recline. small size when folded 69x27x30cms

quinny zapp
Jen, Charlotte 7 & Kate 3

Paws View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2008 at 9:26am
Originally posted by Bayley Bayley wrote:

Hi Paws - I am flying to Fiji next week with my 8 month old son (alone!!) and I'm wondering if you think this stroller would be worth buying for that? We'll probably use it again in the future but I was always planning on getting one that could recline - do you think it would matter for an 8 month old?? We have a Phil & Teds buggy for everyday use and never drop that down anymore - he doesn't really sleep in the pram anyway and if he does he's happy sitting up. Also, is it worth the money, and is it easy to steer? Thank you

Heya, it is really easy to steer!! Because it's three swivel wheels it's a total breeze. I highly recommend it. We've used it from when Maddie was around 7-8 months old and it's now our main stroller...we only use the big one when going for walks.

As someone else said...it does take a little practise putting it up and down but I'm so fast now I normally have it sorted before B has Maddie out of the car!

The Deal might not have any left...might need to check out Baby Factory etc...

Edited by Paws

Bayley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bayley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2008 at 9:32am
Thanks Paws - I'm sold!! Enjoy your holiday
HippyMama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HippyMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2008 at 7:04pm

Thanks Paws - I'm sold!! Enjoy your holiday
Same here, thanks very much!
Bayley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bayley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2008 at 8:24pm
Hey Pearls - I bought mine off a trader on Trade Me today and I see she has just listed another one. Brand new - buy now for $65! They retail for $90 everywhere else I have seen. She only has the navy ones left though, but I think its a pretty good deal. I'm picking ours up tomorrow!
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2008 at 9:10pm
Umbrella strollers are great for being easy to carry around, lightweight etc. I wouldn't worry about the lay-down option too much. Every now and then when Kryssi sleeps in the umbrella stroller, I just lay it back a bit while I'm holding it. She's not usually in there for very long once sleeping - transfer to car seat or home etc.
HippyMama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HippyMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2008 at 10:09pm

Hey Pearls - I bought mine off a trader on Trade Me today and I see she has just listed another one. Brand new - buy now for $65! They retail for $90 everywhere else I have seen. She only has the navy ones left though, but I think its a pretty good deal. I'm picking ours up tomorrow!

Seriously? Only $65? Do you have a link? I would appreciate it very much - what a saving! (We are definitely getting one now.)

Bayley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bayley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2008 at 10:23pm
Sure do - here you go!!

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Baby-gear/Prams-strollers/Three-wheel-strollers/auction-139636735.htm

Hope that works
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>