FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedc-section pain

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: c-section pain
    Posted: 10 February 2008 at 7:55am
Soryr if this has all been asked before,....but it;s all new to me..

9 days ago..i had an inducement followed by quick labour(6 hours..going from 3-9cm in an hour..and then an emergency c-section due to Ethan being in distress....anyway due to his position i had a lower incision(not sure what that means..it seems normal place) bu the sewing up etc took a long time and was 'difficult'...

anyway i was healing fine and felt fine then woke up at 2am today with pain..and it really hurt like it did when i first got it done..i had some wind pain too(sorry TMI) and i know that makes it worse.....far out i mean i didnt know that they move your gut so much when they do it...anyway..

i had some panadol(i hate taking painkillers esp as i had soo many at hospital but mw ordered me too) and my wonderful DH fed Ethan expressed milk so i could sleep and i woke up feeling better.. mw checked wound yesterday said it was fine...so why did the pain come back?has anyone experienced this?

....i hung up a tiny load of washing but our line is way down low...and maybe i was getting up more enthusiastically yesterday but other than that cant think why? any experiences with this? pain has now gone but it's still achy..i know it's only been 9 days...so i guess that's part of it?:(! oh and do they have to take the staples out i heard them stapling during operation? or do they just come out?
Mum to two amazing boys!
Sponsored Links

busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2008 at 9:02am
I'm not sure about the staples cause I had stitches - you'll have to ask your mw about that one. As for the pains, I found it came and went depending on how much I did. Even just walking is enough depending on how much you do. Give it another 1-2 weeks and you'll be feeling heaps better.
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2008 at 9:25am
I'm assuming they would have done the same to you as me and there was nothing that needed to be taken out the midwife just took off the piece of tape that was across the wound after about a week (and I was scared my guts would fall out, like a piece of tape was holding them in lol).
I had some bad pains about 2 weeks after when DH was under the house (fixing a leak) and asked me to turn the water back on, which is in a cupboard low down and you have to get on hands and knees to do it, I did it but then when I stood up was in pain, I rested and took some pain killers and the pain went.
You may find that you shifted position in the night or just doing the washing agravated it. I would think if you are feeling ok now that it isn't too much to worry about, probably just your body telling you to take it easy still.
I think a lower incision is the normal one, thats what I had, in very rare emergency situations they can cut you vertically instead and that is a lot lot worse

toniellis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toniellis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2008 at 10:02am
Kaww when you were in the hospital straight after the c-section did you have the morphine pump (you have to push it every 5minutes to get a "shot" of morphine, or did they just give you the slow release pills? If it was the pills then now wuld be about the right time for them to stop working and also do be careful not to overdo things as a c-section is major surgery. I've had two myself so been there done that! As for the staples if they are external then yes they do have to be removed which your midwife will do, disolvable stitches are much nicer. Hopefully you won't have too many staples. My midwife told me it was normal to have around 15ish staples but I had 43! It hurt but I have been told that was only because they were so close together & so many.
Mum to Alex (11), Blaire (10) & Erika (8) and Damien (6)

Successful HWB VBA2Cs!
Soon to be surrogate
ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2008 at 10:27am
busy- thanks...yeah well it sounded like staples:) maybe it wasnt she has checked it everytime so far but not really said a lot besides it looks good..

cuppatea-oh yes was wondering about the tape! as far as cuts..it says on my discharge thing that i had 'lower uterine segment Cs instead of classical ....ahhh....it says classical vertical Cs..so yeah it is the normal one..must have read it in my haze after delivery:) yes vertically must be very very awful..the mw said they hold your gut with hot towels and sometimes thats why it is hard for it to reconnect for a few days..such as in my case!

toni- had the morphine pump until it made me sick the next day..and catheter for 48 hours..i havent really looked at the scar yet ...partly cause its covered by tape but i could totally be wrong about the staples.. she wasnt at the birth cause she was away but I'm sure it will be written somewhere and she will be able to see when she takes tape off..i will ask tues when i see her..

cuppatea-poor lady couldnt come the other day as she was inducing someone for two days:(
Mum to two amazing boys!
ShellandBella View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShellandBella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2008 at 12:36pm
You'd know if there were staples...they are metal clips and you should be able to feel them under the tape...luckily I had dissolvable sutures so didn't have to worry about anything like that . Its very easy to overdo it with a c-sec, after 3 weeks I felt great and went for a walk only to wind up doubled over in pain that night with accompanied extra lochia . Take it easy...when they say 6 weeks of doing nothing they MEAN 6 weeks of doing nothing because you forget there are multiple layers they have stitched up (skin, fat, muscle, uterus muscle)

ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2008 at 6:48pm
i havent even tried to touch the tape..it was just the sound i heard:) but im pretty sure i dont have those..

6 weeks sucks:( but yeah i know it will be worth it cause otherwise it'll take forever to heal..i just could do with getting out for a few mins sometimes:)!!
Mum to two amazing boys!
Smartmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smartmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2008 at 8:11pm
Take it easy hon, you have only major stomach surgery 9 days ago!!
You need to take it easy so you dont do internal damage and end up in hospital again with an infected wound, not what you want with a new baby!
I found an icepack to help at night after i had done too much, and i wore a maternity pad over the tape in between my pants to help take any pants pressure that would push against the scar.
I also had dissolvable thingees and after the 6 weeks my midwife just pulled a couple of stitches.
ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2008 at 10:19am
ok i get the message..I'll take it easy..just feel so lazy..which is amusing as i was lazy when i was pregnant but now i want to do things!

still gutted i had to go through both labour and c-section...was hard on me and Ethan...:(! never mind..at least we are both ok..
Mum to two amazing boys!
Neeks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neeks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2008 at 8:59pm
You went through what I went through, not very nice huh??? I felt like absolute death for about a week after Keziah was born, had no issues with my c-section wound but I did have dizzy spells due to loosing 1300ml of blood during surgery. I'm on a really high dosage of Iron and sometimes still get the shakes.
Even now 3.5 months on I'm still having numbness and sometimes shooting pains through the wound, so please take it easy and let others help you out even when you're feeling slightly 'lazy' (trust me i know how you feel about this too)..
Bombshell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bombshell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2008 at 10:14pm
you know i think a c section is much easier if you know about it in advance....in so many ways.

take it easy - dont stretch - that hurts!!!

mine presses when bowel is full...you might be getting that so drink plenty of water.

and oooh morphine pump...had mine near on three days...loved it!!!!!!!!! then realised ella was coming off morphine...HORRID night that one!
ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2008 at 10:09am
funny you should mention iron i couldnt sleep and wasnt hungry(just looked..lost 1000 blood) was worried as i couldnt stop bleeding when i had DandC.. anyway... so started my iron tablets and sleeping much better..thank goodness! you'd think someone mighhta mentioned it to me!

dont get me wrong I'm so thankful it all worked out but major surgery and all those complication and a catheter for 48 hours etc..wasnt exactly helping the beginning of my learning process of being a Mum..it was hard enough..:)!as far shakes had them all through epi...awful... sounds awful that you still sometimes get them:( my DH is amazing doing everything i just want to go for a little walk..or something outta the house....but I'm trying to remind myself..it's almost been two weeks..not that long to go..!

bombshell- yes i think so too.. i am not aginst them i was all for whatever needed to happen but after geting to 9cm i as a little gutted..and they said the labour was what stressed him so much:( yes found out the hard way botu stretching....i have soooo much more empathy for my mother having two of these(in the old days) for us! yes as far as bowel i think that has been apart of the problem (TMI) but i used to out off going as it was awful when pregnant..so started that way as well..but all sorted now:)!

yes they say they dont get to baby...load of crap i think:(
Mum to two amazing boys!
Bombshell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bombshell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2008 at 8:54pm
oh big hugs...and i mean that.

the bowel thing was weird for me - ive had appendicitis before and scar tissue from that pressed on bowel and now scar tissue from c section presses up so getting blockages from time to time...ugh

I think i recovered faster cause i knew it was a c section and never went into labour - def helps i think. cause you are now dealing with having gone to OMG NINE cms...and then having c section on top...so you basically gave birth both ways....how unfair is that?

but OMG look at the gorgeous bubba that you got out...i love love love that photo of him!
peachy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peachy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2008 at 9:08pm
kawwww I had a similar experience to you with being in labour for 27 hours, pushing for 3 hours, 2 x failed ventouse (which by the way I never wish that ventouse on ANYONE, I still have nightmares) and then I had to have a c section! Talk about so not fair!

As for the wound, once you give yourself the 6 weeks you will be feeling great again. I couldn't even walk 2 mins up the road to the shops in those first few weeks and 3 months later I am walking 10kms a day with absolutely no worries!

It is disappointing to go through all that and then have a c section, but its worth it to get your baby I reakon
ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2008 at 9:39am
bombshell..yeah wasnt fair and was really rough on both of us:( he ended up Apgar of 3 at 1 min...(though it improved to 10 at 5 mins)but yes he is gorgeous....particularly when asleep!

peachy- definitely...just so frustrating..i walked to the end of the road yesterday and paid the price for it..just days like today when we havent slept a little walk would be great:(!!
Mum to two amazing boys!
Bombshell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bombshell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2008 at 9:51pm
yeaa have to say mu elective was well done...she had apgar of 9 at birth!

OMG that photo makes me smile everytime i see it...NEVER change your ticker
Kels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2008 at 10:55pm

I had staples when I had my c sect and it was horrible. You would know if there were staples as they take then out at day 4-5 and it is uncomfortable.

Take it easy as everyone else has said. A c-sect  can really knock you about and esp an unexpected one as BS has also said.

Busy mum to Miss 15yrs, Miss 10yrs and Master 4yrs
ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2008 at 8:27am
bombshell thanks i love it..and normally they end up all blurry as movement photos suck on my camera..I'm so proud..i love this other one too..will post it (i know its not a photo thread but just wanted to show you.. as far as c section he was in distress due to me turning (i told them i shouldnt) and the cord around his neck..they didnt show him to us so i thought something had happened but thankfully he got better fast.. i was so worried...:( sorry again for photos but I'm so proud?:) i love the one with hand on face! kels i think its not staples...dunno what it was i heard when they were doing it.. is it true you bleed for less time with a c section..i seem to have stopped?

Mum to two amazing boys!
Redbedrock View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Redbedrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2008 at 9:44am
Much as you hate to take pills, I would suggest taking panadol regularly at 5-6 hourly intervals (no more than 8 in a day) as it has a build up effect in your sysytem and can keep on top of the pain. Rest up but try to keep moving regularly, I know that contradicts itself. I can't asay this is from experience but from the advice i would give a patient following abdo surgery
Hope it eases up soon for you
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2008 at 9:56am
Hey Kawwww I only bleed for 2 weeks I don't think it had anything to do with the c/s though. Anywhere between 2-6 weeks can be normal. I think mine was so short cos it was so heavy at the start, and because he fed well things seemed to contract very fast (and painfully)

I love the pics as well, especially the one of him swaddled

Edited by cuppatea

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>