FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedwish us luck... skin prick test

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Andie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: wish us luck... skin prick test
    Posted: 19 February 2008 at 8:25pm

Yaaayyyyy Ella has her skin-prick test this week!  It'll be so good to be one step closer to knowing whether it was the dairy or the fish oil in the formula that caused her anaphylaxis.  And of course, I'm soooooooo hoping that she's grown out of it.  But realistically, even after that very encouraging RAST result, she came up in hives tonight after her daddy blew a raspberry on her chest (he'd eaten butter on his corn cob tonight, but still, sure couldn't see any left on his face!) - this isn't the first time it's happened, so I'll have to be realistic and hope for the best, prepare for the worst.  Next step will be the food challenges.  But I'm nervous even about the skin prick, I have to admit.  I was OK until the nurse said "we'll get Medlab to come to the hospital to do it there, so we've got the resucitation equipment there if needed"!  I know, tiny, tiny chance it'll be needed, but eeep having watched my baby come that close to death once already I guess I'm a little tender about the thought of it all.   I'm even having little 'flashbacks' to when I sat speechless on her bed in the ED, watching her struggling for breath and it seemed the world had stopped spinning and no-one could help her, and I just kept thinking 'oh my god - this was my last day with her, this is the last I'll see of my daughter'.  (They only started once the test was booked so I'm not worried about them BTW). 

So wish us luck and if you're the praying type, please add us to your prayers on Thursday.  And those of you who've had them already - any tips for helping Ella with it?  So far I've worked on arranging for her daddy to be there so if I'm too tense he can take over - I don't want to stress her out!  That's what we had to do when she had her yukky MCU, poor kid! 

Andie
Sponsored Links

Kels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2008 at 8:51pm

BEST OF LUCK ELLA and mummy. Aww big hugs mum, Praying it all goes well for Ella and hope for better answers on her allergies etc

Busy mum to Miss 15yrs, Miss 10yrs and Master 4yrs
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2008 at 8:52pm
Hope it all goes well, will be great for you to have a few more answers.

Kels View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2008 at 8:53pm

Sending all mine and Alize's goodluck vibes to you!!

Busy mum to Miss 15yrs, Miss 10yrs and Master 4yrs
mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 February 2008 at 8:58pm

Will be thinking of you on Thursday Andie.

I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
11111 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 11111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2008 at 8:32am
You ans Ella are on my list chick hope all goes well and you get teh answer's you need.
Deborah Mum to:

aimeejoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aimeejoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2008 at 9:17am
Good luck Andie and Ella!! Hannah was absolutely fine with hers. I dont think it really hurts them as it is just a lot of little pricks. The hardest part is getting them to keep their arm out while its done, keep it straight out for 15 mins and stop them touching/scratching with the other hand! It would probably be easier to have someone else with you to help distract her, but not so much that she gets all hyper and wiggly. Oh and it really isnt that traumatic to watch either. Will be thinking of you guys tomorrow.
Aimee

Hannah 22/10/05
Greer 11/02/08
nikkitheknitter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2008 at 9:48am
Best of luck for the kiddo (and you!!)

I'll be thinking of ya tomorrow... and hopefully you get some conclusive (and good!) results
lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2008 at 8:37pm
good luck for tomorrow Andie! we pray all the time at school so will add you guys to the list (I'm serious - about 5 times in a day)
Bubbaloo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bubbaloo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2008 at 9:00pm
Good luck hope it all goes well I still remember getiing my one done when I was about 4.

Was danni-chick

Mum to James

My Angel 28/07/08
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2008 at 9:22pm
Thinking of you tomorrow Andie. Will Jono be with you? When will you know the results?
Andie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2008 at 8:05am

...5 times a day, Liz?!?  Wow what school are you at?!  Anyway, thanks heaps guys, it makes a difference.  Yep, Jono will be there - I handle her blood tests and imms and everything else by myself, but not tests like these.  I got some handy hints from those who've been there too - cheers for that - Got the bubbles packed and will have my pin-down manouver at the ready!

Andie
aimeejoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aimeejoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2008 at 8:19am
Teresa - you basically know the results immediately cos they measure any reaction on the skin after 15 minutes, and if its bigger than a certain amount it is classed as a positive reaction to that particular allergen.

Good luck today Andie

Edited by aimeejoy
Aimee

Hannah 22/10/05
Greer 11/02/08
Shorty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shorty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2008 at 10:20am
Best of luck for today.
The hardest part for me when we had the skin prick was keeping our son entertained for the 15 minutes while we waited. I know for next time to bring daddy!
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2008 at 10:57am
*luck and prayers*

Like Aimee said, it's not that traumatic, my three have all had them done countless times and not once have we had a single tear, it's just like a tiny scratch on the skin.
Maya had hers done on her back so she couldn't reach to scratch at it when she was smaller but when she was older they did it on her arm and the gremlins ones have always been on their arms.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
Andie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2008 at 4:38pm

It's over!  It's OVER!!!  And thanks for all your kind thoughts and support

Well - she's surely allergic to milk even though it didn't show up in her RAST - wow does that go to show that the RAST really does have such a huge margin of error.  Fish, which was the other suspect for causing the reaction that started it all  was OK.  Egg white and yolk, and nuts were fine.  (WHEW!!!).  I don't know if I was hoping for it to be milk or fish - fish sure is easier to avoid, but milk means there's more chance she might grow out of it.  Anyway, it doesn't matter what I'd been hoping for because things are the way they are regardless, so milk allergy it is, and thank God there don't seem to be others.  Time for the EpiPen once Ella's heavy enough and more 'education' for her family. 

... and hey, thanks everyone whose been there before for not saying "it's nothing to worry about" even thought that might've been true! - now that it's over, I can see that it wasn't!  But leading up to it I sure was anxious.  First thing I saw in the room was the anaphylaxis kit - which they didn't even need to touch today

Andie
Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2008 at 5:44pm
So so glad it all went well for you guys. I just presumed Ellas RAST test has been positive,...I think I knew but forgot,..but Isla was neg too,...will be intesrtesting to see her next results.
Shorty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shorty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2008 at 7:45pm
So pleased you now have an answer and it wasn't too stressful for you & Ella!
You can get a lot of support from Allergy NZ, the ladies in Auckland have been so helpful for us!
FionaS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FionaS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2008 at 10:08pm
So is that Milk Protein allergy?
Mummy to Gabrielle and Ashley
Andie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2008 at 6:07am

Yep, sure is. 

Andie
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>