FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedNewborn Winter Singlets

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
my2girls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote my2girls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newborn Winter Singlets
    Posted: 20 February 2008 at 1:51pm
Hi there, just wondering what everyone thought about newborn singlets. Im trying to decide whether to have long sleeve cotton with a short sleeve wool singlet on top, or whether to just get a long sleeve merino singlet (as i have heard the "breathe" better and are soft enough to put against the skin without itching etc). Just wondering what others have done or are doing out there with their winter babies?
Sponsored Links

Bobbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2008 at 3:07pm
JK have just put out a merino range and I'm going to get some of that instead of a wool singlet. Normal wool affected my skin a lot when I was a child and even now so I don't want to take chances with Rowan. Merino has always been great for me though.

Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2008 at 3:31pm
With Maya I used some great Cotton/Wool blend ones that I got from Target in Oz, the gremlins just had 100% cotton and I layered it up.
I have decided I heart merino tho and this bub will have cotton singlets and merino gowns/clothes. I especially love the Mokopuna Merino range that we stock in our OHbaby! store. I am coveting some of their newborn gowns and hats and the gremlins have their legwarmers and hats in Ruby Stripe.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2008 at 3:36pm
PS. The JK merino range looks cool too, and great prices! Am hoping to check it out this weekend.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2008 at 4:13pm
Lol Emma,...u just cant resist can u ?!!
AliaDawn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AliaDawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 February 2008 at 6:35pm
Just as Seb has grown out of 12-18 months... wish JK had these last year! or in bigger sizes...

fire_engine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fire_engine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2008 at 10:24am
Naive question ahead - how well wrapped up do winter newborns need to be? If you had them in a long sleeve cotton singlet and fluffy stretch in gro in the house (with fire on) then swaddled up in bed (and a jersey/blanket/hat when going out), would that do? I live in Auckland. I'm just cautious about wool cos I had alergies as a kid but merino is pricey given they'll only wear it for a short time.
Mum to two wee boys
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2008 at 10:45am
Sounds OK to me Flissty, maybe with a hat as well, and socks/booties and if it's really cold a cardi or jacket. Bub should be OK with woolen cardies coz they don't actually touch the skin like singlets do.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2008 at 10:45am
Oh and I used to swaddle Maya with fleece blankets her first winter, she would have been 4-5 mths old in the middle of winter. Used muslin wraps for the gremlins coz it was summer.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
blondy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2008 at 10:54am
I am also wondering about the wool/singlet issues - I had really bad eczema from wool as a kid, so probably would be leaning towards merino, but agree on the pricey thing! But cotton as a first layer makes sense.

I am a knitter, so already have 1 woollen blanket almost done, but might have to start on some more complex woollen things!
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2008 at 11:17am
Ooh the other thing I absolutely heart that I have for the gremlins is a Grobag Egg from Baby Stuff. It tells you the temp in baby's room and changes color so it's super easy to tell if the room is too hot/cold. In the winter we used to run an oil fin heater in their room to keep it at the optimum 16-20 degrees, and if the room got too warm/cool we could adjust the heater accordingly.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
fire_engine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fire_engine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2008 at 11:26am
Blondy, you're good doing blankets - I did a wee beanie but gave it to my sister for her baby and have the wool for a jersey sitting on the coffee table, but DH lost my lovely new babboo needles (that's my excuse for procrastinating!). We'll have to have a July 08 knitting, yoga and coffee group

Maya - thanks for the tip about the gro eggs. And we'll go with lots of hats and socks/booties (pink or blue) to make up for all the white clothing this baby will wear initially!
Mum to two wee boys
blondy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blondy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2008 at 5:30pm
Lol re: the knitting/yoga/coffee! I have had to resort to metal needles, as I tend to snap them! (For the blankets, because the needle gauge is quite small, and the wool is so fine, the stitches end up so tiny, and I tend to place too much tension on them anyway!)

Gro eggs sound like a plan also!

Will have to start finding patterns for cool newborn hats! (I still have issues knitting anything not completey flat!lol )
Bobbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2008 at 5:36pm
I love the gro bag eggs - I think you hooked me in your original post months back

Sadly my monitor has a temperature display so I can't convince DH that we need one (pretty is not a reason apparently)

.Mel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .Mel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2008 at 6:12pm
I love the Cotton on Kids singlets. You can get them sleeveless or capped sleeved.

I got Cooper a really cool sleeping bag from Baby Factory for $20. He loves it now, and won't go to sleep without it.

I used to put it in a onesies singlet, a stretch & grow and wrapped. His bed was flannelette sheets, a polar fleece blanket and a quilt. He seemed fine in that. I used to wrap in when we went out too. That was September, so it was slowly starting to get warmer.

Around home when he was in the lounge, he was always wrapped. He preferred it that way.

Oh rambling.
Mr Mellow (16)
Miss Attitude (8)
Destructa Kid (3)

my2girls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote my2girls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2008 at 1:20pm
Thanks for all your help! There are so many options out there these days it does get confusing! Im going to use cotton singlets with wool on top (only because i have wool ones left from my first baby) and will use a merino wrap.
Rachael21 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rachael21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2008 at 9:22pm
Originally posted by mareed mareed wrote:

Thanks for all your help! There are so many options out there these days it does get confusing! Im going to use cotton singlets with wool on top (only because i have wool ones left from my first baby) and will use a merino wrap.

Thats what we do here.
Shezamumof3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shezamumof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2008 at 3:26pm
I have got a couple of merino ones for Caden, they are little T-Shirt ones though. The we have some normal singlets for under his clothes.

Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2008 at 3:43pm
just wanted to say that i gave my winter baby heat rash in winter!!! poor guy had hormonal spots and heat rash, boy did he look a sight... i would make sure whatever you use is breathable cause i think thats where i went wrong.

Mum2ET View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mum2ET Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2008 at 1:14pm

Does anyone know if it is possible to buy merino wool singlet bodysuits? Going to dress Ella in the Merino Wool PJ this winter, but wanted to put a merino singlet bodysuit underneath (in case the top rides up and she gets a cold tummy) but can't find them anywhere. Any suggestions???

On a different note- it is pain the no one does a merino all in one sleep suit for 12 months+. If anyone has seen one, could they please let me know......

TIA

Mum to
Ella (5) and Tom (2)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>