FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedis it ur choice??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NeoshasMummy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NeoshasMummy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: is it ur choice??
    Posted: 11 March 2008 at 3:55pm
So I had a c section for my daughter because she was a big girl 8 14 and after 2 days in hospital going through labour with pitocin AND contractions every 3 mins for 6 hours I couldnt get past 2cm!!!! Anyway when they were getting out they said she was very large and in a awkward position that she never would have been able to get out of. Now we are trying to conceive and the midwife that I had for my last pregnancy was AGAINST csections told me that there was no reason I should have another one becasue that was just a one off. I wouldnt have even had one last time if it wasnt for the intervention of another nurse at the hospital while mine went home to watch "americas next top model". After speaking to my mum she said she had csections with bother her babies for not preogressing as well and we werr 7lb 2 and 7lb 8 so what do u guys think? Will I get to choose or not? I am getting a different mw this time the last one doesnt want to listen to me.

BTW I would like to have another csection because I def dont want a repeat labour like last time I was actually passing out from pain. Was posterior. But I am a slightly bigger girlo so maybe they wont want to? (read that on someone elses post)

Edited by NeoshasMummy
Sponsored Links

cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2008 at 4:00pm
As far as I know if you have had one c/s then you are offered an elective with subsequent pregnancies, however I think most obs will encourage you to try a labour if at all possible. You will get to see an obs at around 7 months to discuss the options, if they think that you are likely to end up with the same problems then they might be happy to just book you in for an elective.

Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2008 at 4:39pm
You'll have an appt with a hospital OB/reg towards the end of second tri to discuss your options, you can elect to have a second c-sect but Cuppatea is right, there is a push towards trialling labour. However, no one should force you to try for a VBAC unless you are comfortable with the idea.

Bear in mind tho that a high number of posterior babies end up being sectioned, and that statistically first babies are more likely to be posterior than subsequent ones. Having had a long, posterior labour with a giant baby myself I can see why you aren't keen to repeat the experience, but if your next baby is anterior you might find that you have a completely different birth experience, and you may well be able to deliver vaginally.

But you do have to be 100% happy with the plan, so it's important to find a midwife that supports what you want, whether it be a VBAC or an elective, and to make sure that she supports you when you go to see the hospital OB's.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2008 at 6:05pm
^ ^ what cuppatea said I have had a VBAC if you want to PM any questions
ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2008 at 7:27pm
sorry why wouldnt they want to if you are bigger?...i def will be opting for another one after my experience last time(sortof similar to yours)
Mum to two amazing boys!
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2008 at 7:55pm
Sections are more difficult if you are bigger, there are more layers to cut thru. My friend had an OB whinge at her about her weight and what a "difficult" c-sect it was going to be and that she needed to lose weight. WHILE she was in labour!
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 March 2008 at 8:47pm
did she tell him to ^&*& off:)! ok thanks for clarifying.. i intend to be 20kg less(done 12 so far 20 to go) but man i would hurt someone who said that:) ! maybe that's why my c section was 'difficult' to sew up!
Mum to two amazing boys!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NeoshasMummy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2008 at 7:47am
lol Im a 16 pretty normal everywhere else in my body like leg wise im a 14 but after my c section I have this tummy that is just blah and requires a 16 so my pants look baggy in the leg and fit in the waist and same with my jackets big up the top but not down bottom. lol its the biggest part of me    Docs can be so rude though!!!!!!!!!!!! I gained about 30kg in my last pregnancy even though I wrote everything that I ate down and never had takeaways it was just so weird but all they said was I was eating the wrong foods and making myself and the baby fat. In fact when they realised my 8lb 14 baby wasnt going to come out I was told it was because of my "eating for 2" even though it never happened. I still believe something else was wrong to this very day lol. 15kgs from that pregnancy still hang around and im trying to lose them now... very hard after a baby I find
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2008 at 10:44am
LOL and I put on bugger all having Maya due to hyperemesis and she was over 9lb!

And nope, my friend was too gobsmacked to say a word to the OB, we were both in shock, even the midwife was like "WTF?! Is he serious?!"
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NeoshasMummy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2008 at 11:04am
That is just so horrible!!!!

They can be really heartless and being pregnant with all those hormones makes it so much harder
ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2008 at 11:04am
far out i cant believe some docs!!
Mum to two amazing boys!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NeoshasMummy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2008 at 11:14am
kawwww ur baby is so cute
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2008 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by kawwww kawwww wrote:

far out i cant believe some docs!!

Yup. I know most of the OB's working out of Akl hospital in one way or another and this one has a reputation for being a bit of a w*nk.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
CuriousG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CuriousG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2008 at 1:35pm
My auntie had the horror birth with her first and she demanded a c section for her second. They did try to convince her otherwise but she stood her ground. She even got to chose the date!

ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2008 at 1:39pm
neo thankyou:) i just dont get why you would be a doc or ob if you are a w*nk! get a job without dealing with people.. or maybe better still learn to be professional!:)

I'm pretty sure i will have a battle on my hands about the 2nd c section.. but that is the way i will be going.. (scary thought though)
edited to edit the work w*nk as it didnt get edited by itself:)

Edited by kawwww
Mum to two amazing boys!
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2008 at 1:46pm
LOL, i wasn't sure whether it would or not so I edited it myself

I've always wondered why so many men are OB's tho, it must be an ego trip or something? Mind you, the best OB's I know are all men.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 March 2008 at 6:30pm

OMG as far as I know when you see the OB at about 28 weeks you can discuss the options then with them.

If you want it (and I don't blame you after that experience) then I can't see why they won't give it to you. I know in Palmy there would be no problem with you having the c section 2nd time round.

I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
Bobbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2008 at 10:35am
I was told that as I'd had an elective the first time the hospital would expect me to try for a VBAC. However my MW advised me that if I fronted up with the cost for the OB then obviously there's no prob with a second elective.

I think the rules are different for electives as opposed to emergency c-sects though as there's probably less trauma to the body during an elective (as you haven't laboured first).

Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2008 at 12:20pm
And with an elective it's often due to a "one off" like malpresentation of baby so there's no obstetric reason not to try for a VBAC, whereas with emergencies it can often be coz of pelvic disproportion or fails to progress which can reoccur.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
AnnC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnnC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 March 2008 at 7:01pm
just to let you know my first was a large baby (9lb 5oz) and was posterior very long labour (42 hours all up with little progress and over 2 hours pushing) but I had VBAC with him he got stuck onmy plevic bone and came out with a huge bruise on his head... he finally made an apperance!!!! .... anyway my second labour was a dream labour - did all the hard work at home, got to hospital within just over half hour there she was - 2 pushes she was out, and she wasn't a tiny baby although not as big as my first (8lb 6oz) perfect position and all. total labour time 4 1/2 hours (and only half hour was bad) So the point I am trying to say is - IF the only reason for wanting a ceasar is because of a labour and nothing medically preventing you from vbac you might have a breeze the next labour... of cause this isn't always the case.
Ann

Also Mum to Josh (15) and Brooke (10)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>