FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedfluid retention after birth

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: fluid retention after birth
    Posted: 23 March 2008 at 6:56pm
Thought i would ask here first in case it is a c section thing.

but since having eden i seem to be retaining lots of fluid. My feet are the size of a giants (or as my brother said they look like hobbits without the hair). i weigh only 2 kg less than i did before i had the baby and she was 4 kg so i expected at least that amount in weight loss... Is this normal?

oh and my mum sd yesterday that i could still get toxemia ???

oh wise ones who have been there before do you have any words of wisdom for me?

Sponsored Links

Two Blondinis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Two Blondinis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2008 at 7:27pm
hmmm don't remember any fluid retention issues and as for the toxemia you could get that with any open wound! So just make sure you keep the wound dry and clean and take plenty of arnica to help with healing
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2008 at 7:45pm
I swelled up a few days after the c/s, while still in hospital, and the midwife said it was normal. However it had gone again within a few days. You are at risk of toxemia up to 6 weeks after the birth.
Arnica is great and I would also talk to your mw or gp about it.

ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2008 at 10:01pm
fluid retention here(mind you i had PE swelling in pregnancy) till 4 weeks PP..she said it takes 2 days for every litre of fluid you got pumped into you to go away..so thats why mine took so long:(!

bizarrely they checked me 4 hourly BOP at the hospital but after the birth i was checked for 4 days and then not again..at all...mw looked at feet and asked how i felt but no bloods and no BP checks after day 3..weird!
Mum to two amazing boys!
Shorty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shorty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2008 at 10:24pm
Have you been drinking lots of water. I was warned I would get fluid retention if I didn't keep my fluids up.
Ohter than that sorry no help here, but do hope it settles for you soon!
yummymummy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yummymummy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2008 at 10:51pm
No cs but I've got fluid retention too - my mw advised me to wear my support socks for 2-3 weeks and the swelling is def coming down - yey for having ankles again and my feet fitting my old pre-preggers shoes! I'm still wearing the stockings though - don't think I'd be as lucky otherwise

Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2008 at 4:33pm
I don't remember it after Maya, but it was a shocker after the gremlins, LOVE the hobbit feet description coz that's what they looked like!

I was told it was a side effect of the epidural and it went away within a few days on it's own.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2008 at 5:06pm
i think mine stayed just becuase of the super swelling i had before the c section...
Mum to two amazing boys!
peachy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peachy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2008 at 5:19pm
I had wicked fluid retention after my CS. No fun at all and I wore my jandals everywhere for weeks as there was no way I could fit my fat feet into my shoes
Bizzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bizzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2008 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by yummymummy yummymummy wrote:

No cs but I've got fluid retention too - my mw advised me to wear my support socks for 2-3 weeks and the swelling is def coming down - yey for having ankles again and my feet fitting my old pre-preggers shoes! I'm still wearing the stockings though - don't think I'd be as lucky otherwise

yeah my mum said i should put my stocking on again before i got up this morning... i forgot tho as was having troubles feedign eden. will do it tomorrow tho...

Neeks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neeks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2008 at 9:46pm
I had a heaps of fluid for about a month after keziah was born, it was all in my legs, feet and hands it was quite random, and I found it hard to wear shoes for a while
My mum even did a couple of massages over a few days and that didn't seem to help... and the hospital staff kept telling me to raise the end of my bed and wear the pressure socks but that didn't seem to help either... all it took was a little time
Smartmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Smartmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2008 at 1:51pm
Yup, i couldnt get rid of the fluid!! I think part of it with a c-section is the amount of fluid that is pumped into you during the op.
Drink dandelion tea, or eat pineapple they are both great at flushing it out!!

Ooooh i remember being able to feel it swooshing around in my calves when i walked!!
 Post Reply Post Reply