FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedReflux and back sleeping

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
tishy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tishy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2008 at 10:24am
Slight thread jack but is it possible for silent reflux to be worse at certain times of the day?
Eimear gets very unsettled after 6pm and we've have many nights where me or DH would sleep with her on the recliner, until the 2am feed, after failed attempts to put her down in her cot.
(She does do most of her day naps in her rocker though as it's at a slight angle.)

Her tummy gets rock hard, get her to to sleep by putting a dummy in her mouth and rocking her to sleep. She might be lying on us for 30 mins but most times, as soon as she is put in her cot she wakes again. She won't cry if the dummy is in but she's wide awake and there's no getting her to sleep.
Last night after the 2am feed she woke after 40 mins of being in the cot in agony. Back down to the couch with us.

Also I do hear the choking/gurgling noises sometimes which aren't exactly pleasant to hear when lying in bed.

We did go to the doctor with her just before Easter and he basically said she's just a windy baby, deal with it. *sigh* Won't be going back to him.
Sponsored Links

Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2008 at 1:59pm
It sure could be, might be worth getting a second opinion. Could also be colic, altho they don't usually "gurgle" with colic.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
Andie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2008 at 2:37pm

Oooh Tishy - poor Eimear!  The rock hard tummy sound like wind to me.  Did the Doc advise anything for it?  I hope it stops for her soon - sounds really tricky for ya. 

Andie
kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2008 at 6:48pm
We found Daniels reflux upset him more in the early evening. But it sounds like she might have that problem along with the wind prob. Poor Eimear!!!! Have you tried infacol? That was our lifesaver when Daniel had crazy wind. All night I'd hear him farting through the monitor after he had it!
Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 April 2008 at 7:39pm
Isla had excessive wind with her silent reflux.She was on infacol for months and months until she was finally diagnosed with silent reflux.

Check out the diagnosis flow charts on the cryingoverspiltmilk website. From experience I have found the 4 GP's we saw didnt seen to know much at all about infant relux disease, and especially silent reflux, so it would pay to print out the pages of the internet and be armed with some info!
tishy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tishy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2008 at 8:22am
Thanks for the replies! We use infacol in the evenings which works for the first feed but not for the following ones.

I am trying to go Dairy free, I've had some relapses but have been behaving the last week. That might make a difference too.
Based on cryingoverspiltmilk, Aoife could be a 'Happy Chucker' too. We go through a lot of bed linen here

Last night was much better, I was on the couch until 2am but it's a comfy couch. Things would be a lot worse if the dummy didn't calm her that's for sure.

We have a paed app in a few weeks so will have my research done before then if things don't improve.
Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2008 at 8:39am
Yay for dummies! If it is reflux, dummys do help it cos the sucking motion helps keep the stomach acid in the stomach,..others argue that it also stimulates the stomach to produce more acid,.. so who knows!
Alex32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2008 at 9:11pm
My 3 month old was diagnosed with silent reflux last week- Gaviscon worked almost immedietley. However I took him homeopath yesterday, and by doing some simple tests it turns out Lucas is intolerant to onions and eggs... I eat onions in some form most days! I have cut them out, but he said it will get worse for a few days (Lucas going thru onion withdrawl!) but then reflux should be a lot better. Best $90 I ever spent.
Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2008 at 4:31pm
Yay thats great, hope it works for you!
Tiff View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tiff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2008 at 9:44pm
This may sound like a stupid question but we bought a sleep wedge for Rohann as had heard that side sleeping is better for reflux babies, however we haen't used it as when I put her on it she really didn't look comfortable. I'm not sure though if it's because we still wrap her 'cos she looks sort of 'propped' right on her 'edge'. So how do you position them so they are comfy?
Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2008 at 7:15am
Isla was wrapped until 10 months and always side slept. I wrapped her with arma crossed over her chest, then lay her on her side until she was comfy, then had a small rolled up blanket that we put behind her just to stop her rolling back. It wasnt really jammed up against her back so she wasnt completely on her side all the time. Worked well for us!
aimeejoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aimeejoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2008 at 8:39am
I have a sleep wedge as well for Greer and have thought the same thing Tiff! I wrapwith her arms tucked up and she seems happy with that. She is odd tho and would happily sleep on her tummy wrapped up like that!
Aimee

Hannah 22/10/05
Greer 11/02/08
Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2008 at 8:50am
Lol Aimee! Yeah I wish I had started tummy sleeping Isla sooner than 10 months cos she is sooo much more comfy like that!
aimeejoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aimeejoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2008 at 8:55am
If Greer falls asleep on us we usually put her down on her tummy, and when she was little she would only sleep on her tummy - before we figured out she had reflux.
Aimee

Hannah 22/10/05
Greer 11/02/08
Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2008 at 9:12am
yeah Im sure its more comfy for them cos it puts pressure on their tummies.
Alex32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2008 at 9:21pm
My Osteopath suggested we side sleep Lucas in a wedge- he goes to sleep in it absolutely fine, our problem is that his nappies can't cope with side sleeping, and he wakes more often as he's wet through! I had to change his PJ's and sheets 3 times last night....any suggestions?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12