FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedReflux and back sleeping

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
aimeejoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aimeejoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reflux and back sleeping
    Posted: 08 April 2008 at 4:26pm
Something Kellz said in another thread and I didnt want to thread jack. She said Isla's reflux, she never settling on her back so was always side slept. Is this a common thing for reflux?

I just cannot get Greer to settle to sleep and stay asleep on her back during the day. She's fine at night cos she goes down asleep from her bottle, but during the day if I put her on her back she will cry for a bit, settle, then wake up crying (probably every 15 minutes or so). Her cot is tilted too. She will sleep really soundly on her side or tummy.

Just trying to gather some of the things Greer does for our paed appt, and wasnt sure if this was something worth mentioning or not.
Aimee

Hannah 22/10/05
Greer 11/02/08
Sponsored Links

aimeejoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aimeejoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2008 at 4:34pm
Kellz, reading what you wrote was like a lightbulb moment! After listening to her cry on and off all day, I went and put her on her side and shes been quiet for about 15 minutes and she was actually asleep when I checked on her Makes me feel a bit bad that I was trying to force her to sleep on her back the last few days tho.
Aimee

Hannah 22/10/05
Greer 11/02/08
kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2008 at 4:34pm
Daniel never settled on his back either and he had silent reflux. We always side slept him with a sleep wedge.
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2008 at 4:41pm
Yeah anyone with reflux or even a vomitting bug should sleep on their tummy or side. This is because back sleeping straightens out the esophogus and causes more of the "heartburn" thing
aimeejoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aimeejoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2008 at 5:03pm
She doesnt officially have reflux, but I think she does! Thats why I'm trying to write down all these things for our appt. Oh and shes still asleep so its obviously helped.
Aimee

Hannah 22/10/05
Greer 11/02/08
aimeejoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aimeejoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2008 at 5:03pm
Another question... how do they get an official diagnosis. Do they do any tests? Or is it mainly subjective?
Aimee

Hannah 22/10/05
Greer 11/02/08
kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2008 at 6:44pm
They never did any tests for us. I just described all of Daniels probs and things that he was doing and the doc agreed with me that it was silent reflux. Then we started going through finding what would help him - infant gaviscon, ranitidine etc
ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2008 at 7:07pm
sorry for being ignorant but what makes it silent reflux? i seem to be the only person i know whose child is on neocate who doesnt have reflux..he certainly sleeps better sitting up though.. wonder if i could use that wedge to put him on his side(its designed for back though..

glad you found something that helped aimee?
Mum to two amazing boys!
kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2008 at 7:20pm
Silent reflux is when the contents in the stomach come up but it doesn't make them spill, it just goes back down. It's worse in some ways because the acids burn them twice - on the way up and down.
Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2008 at 7:23pm
Silent reflux is when the stomach acid back-tracks up the eoshagus/throat, burning the throat and causing pain, but without the spilling usually associated with infant reflux. Therefore its much harder to diagnose, cos u obviously cant see that the stomach acid/contents is burning thr throat.
One in 3 babies with reflux have dairy intollerance or allergy.
Isla's went un-diagnosed for 5 months. I knew something was very wrong, but even when we aksed the diff Dr's we saw if it could be reflux(after serching online), 3 said no. Grrr!

We always used a rolled up baby towel or blanket to keep Isla on her side. We also found it more effective to tilt the bassinette or cot from under the legs of the cot, not under the matress,..and make sure u tilt it at least the height of a phone book - Auck size, not Gizzy size! Lol!
Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2008 at 7:29pm
Yeah good point Stacey,..I never thought about it being twice as bad! I know that its obviously much harder to diagnose so often the damage is a lot more severe cos like in Isla's case her thoat was being burned for 5 months, before she started on meds. It was another few months until we got onto Ranitidine as well, which decreased the ammount of stmach acid her body produces, allowing the damage to heal.

Diagnosis is only through seeing if the benifit from medication. There is a long process of food eliminating, trying sebveral diff meds etc before the will scope a baby, which is the only way to 'test' for the reflux, as such. Cryingoverspiltmilk website has more info on the diagnostic process.
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2008 at 8:28pm
I tell you, with the reflux probs I have atm, I really feel for these poor wee refluxy babes, it bloody burns like a mo fo!

Mercedes was diagnosed after the paed watched her squirm and scream her way thru a feed then promptly spew it back all over herself. Sienna was never officially diagnosed coz I refused to admit they both had reflux, it seemed too overwhelming, but she had the exact same symptoms. Mine were half and halfers - they spewed a lot, but you could also hear them refluxing then nothing would come up, they would swallow it back down again, it was awful.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
aimeejoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aimeejoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2008 at 8:38pm
Well she settled like an angel tonight, grizzled for maybe a minute, and she was on her side with the wedge. First time since all this started about 5 weeks ago!

Greer does still spill quite a bit and I can often hear her bring some back up and it sounds like she needs to cough and clear her throat, but she swallows and her breathing is clear again.
Aimee

Hannah 22/10/05
Greer 11/02/08
Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2008 at 8:39pm
Yeah it took me a long time to be able to recoginse the sound of Isla refluxing,..I cant really discribe it,..its not like dry wreching.

Other symtoms that Isla had were :
Could only feed when upright,...I bf her but couldnt lie her flat across me like I see a lot of other people do,..her head was the only part level with my boob,..and the rest of her body was on a huge angle down so her legs were on mine (hope that makes sense).
Only fed for max 3 mins a fed, was on and off screaming and on again etc.
Was never calm when feeding.
Would draw her legs up to her chest.

Im sure I will think of more!
Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2008 at 8:39pm
Defibatly sounds like reflux then Aimee
Bumble View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bumble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2008 at 8:43pm
Ouchies. Poor bubbas with reflux....

formerly known as "Bee"

Ethan ~ March 2003 Big 6 year old school boy!
Micah ~ Aug 2008 ~ Smiley pants who loves telephones!
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2008 at 8:57pm
Briona had silent reflux, it was "diagnosed" only by process of elimination. We were told a lot that it just had to do with sleep routines etc and I swallowed that whole because she had a much stronger will than Hannah right from the word go. They would have given me Gaviscon to try but that was at 3mos and she seemed to be getting alright by then. Hopefully Greer will come right soon. 3mos of screaming and no sleeping was horrible.
Kellz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2008 at 9:03pm
Yeah Teresa, we were told that Isla only feeding 3 mins MAX was just cos she was an good feeder and I had good supply. Or tat it must be my supply,..or that I had PND and was bascially imagined how bad it was

I learnt- trust your instincts!
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 April 2008 at 10:11pm
The sound of the silent refluxing is awful, it's like a choking, gurgling sound
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
aimeejoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aimeejoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2008 at 11:37am
Greer's sound reminds me of the oldies I see in hospital with a chest infection who are lying on their back gurgling away and needing a really good cough.

She has been sleeping awesome since I re-started side sleeping her yesterday. Going off to sleep awake with less than one minute grizzling. This morning was the first morning in weeks she hasnt woken at 5am and slept through until 7! yay! Still a bit nervous about our paed appt on Mon and being turned down for neocate but will cross that bridge if it happens.

Oh and yay! child disability allowance has gone up again this year - now its $80 a fortnight. Sweet!
Aimee

Hannah 22/10/05
Greer 11/02/08
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>