FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockeddelaying solids

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: delaying solids
    Posted: 20 April 2008 at 6:55pm
I'm not starting for a good few months yet but just wanted to know..did you delay solids in your bubs..now they arent sure how sever he is now but the doc warned it ocould still be severe but less likely.. so i have to wait till 1 to introduce everything except meat vege and fruit.. and he said i didnt need to delay but the lady from Plunket did and everyone else tells me too.. i was planning on starting about 5 months but that will depend on when hes ready..will it be ok doing it early..i assumed it would be as doc said it was but then he also told me it was ok to give Ethan his medicine with pear as of right now and i don think it is!!:) anyway so what did you guys do?did it help or hinder allergies(hard to tell i know)
Mum to two amazing boys!
Sponsored Links

mummy_becks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mummy_becks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2008 at 7:03pm

I know Jess had to give Ella pears at an early age because of giving her meds.

Did he react to anything when he had the test?? I would just stay away from the main things that children have reactions to milk, wheat etc.

I was a puree feeder, forward facing, cot sleeping, pram pushing kind of Mum... and my kids survived!
kebakat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kebakat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2008 at 7:17pm
You should chat to Miss (one of the june mummas) as she has a strong history of allergies in her family so she delayed solids and has stuck to a solids regime that was designed especially for allergy prone bubs I think.
aimeejoy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aimeejoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2008 at 7:37pm
I only avoided milk products with Hannah. Tried her with egg before she was one but she wouldnt have it. Didnt realise she was allergic to other stuff (nuts and eggs) til she was tested.

This time will probably just give fruit, veges and meat. May try with bread when she is 9 months or so, if all is looking ok. Will not give any dairy, egg, nut or fish though.
Aimee

Hannah 22/10/05
Greer 11/02/08
monster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2008 at 8:30pm
With allergies I think you're best to wait until six months before introducing anything and then just stick to fruit, veg and meat as suggested.
Maya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2008 at 10:44pm
We did fruit and veg then meat, then wheat around 9 months. Waited to do egg and dairy till after they had testing done at 10 mths. I didn't delay solids till 6 mths as they were showing signs of readiness earlier.

We never used pears as a way of giving meds, it seems to be commonly accepted practise with reflux bubs but bottom line is that the gut is permeable until around 6 months so anything they have before then can enter into the blood stream and promote allergies developing regardless of why you give it to them. We just used to shake the Losec granules straight into Mercedes mouth.
Maya Grace (28/02/03)
(02/01/06)
The Gremlins:Sienna Marie & Mercedes Kailah (14/10/06)
Lil miss:Chiara Louise Chloe (09/07/08)
Her ladyship:Rosalia Sophie Anais (18/06/12)
ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2008 at 7:56am
as i said in a previous post..i wont write it all again...the allergy doc told me to delay the 5 main groups till 1. but not to delay solids till 6 months necessarily.
as far as the 6 months we will try but (just my personal opinion) most babies are well and truly ready before 6 months.. I specifically asked Rodney(doc) about not delaying till 6 months) and he said it was fine not to but to delay those 5 sets of foods(so everything except fruit vege and meat ) till 1 year i just wondered what everyone else did and how it turned out:) as far as the pears if he was ready i would have but atm hes too little(i jus tread what you wrote Emma.. good point).. his next round of testing is 1 yr.
Mum to two amazing boys!
emeldee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emeldee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2008 at 6:24pm
Oh - and introduce one new food at a time, and wait a few days to a week before introducing the next.

Once we knew about the egg and dairy reaction, we were advised to hold off fish, soy and nuts as well.
If you get a chance, get referred to a dietitian (not a nutritionalist, dietitians have more training and hospital experience) to get support.

Don't listen to Plunket, GPs, nurses, grandparents, wellwishers or even other parents unless they really, really know what they are talking about.
ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 April 2008 at 8:09am
yes we defintely will be....wont be too hard when hes not allowed much:) i think i said it further up(not sure which thread) that we are only allowed meat fish and veges...have to delay all of what you said above till 1 as for the last line yes i am learning that:) Plunket have been nothing but a PITA...! the GP at least said he had no idea adn sent us to the paed

Emma and Kelz definitely qualify as parents who know what they are talking about !
Mum to two amazing boys!
 Post Reply Post Reply