FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedhow do I avoid gluten?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
myfullhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myfullhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: how do I avoid gluten?
    Posted: 19 May 2008 at 2:33pm
I am hoping you ladies can help me. Jack has really bad wind, this morning we were up from 2am to 4am waiting for him to fart so that he would go back to sleep!
I am going to start cutting out foods to try and work out what is causing it as we have had quite a few nights like this lately. Mum suggested that I start by cutting out Gluten.

So what can I give Jack? And what can't I give him? Bread? Wheat? What are alternatives as he seems to be on a high carb diet at the moment. I don't want to go to too much expense at the moment as it is jst an experiment and may not be the cause.

Your help would be appreciated!

Edited by Linzy
Lindsey

Sponsored Links

MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2008 at 3:25pm
Hey Lindsay

I have coeliacs disease and have been gluten free for nearly 4 years now. Michaela was gluten free for her first year to try and prevent her developing coeliacs.

To go gluten free you need to cut out wheat, rye and barley (and many people cut out oats too although recent studies have shown it's no necessary).

For our high carb foods we eat gluten free breads (I make my own or buy it - marx bakery in Auckland does a really nice gluten free loaf). Rice crackers, corn thins and corn cruskits are also cheap and easy alternatives and can be topped with the usual favs. Potato dishes are also great. You just need to be careful about the sauces and spreads you use as many have "hidden" gluten.

I'm actually about to run home for the day but will try and think of some options for you and post later. In the meantime check out NZFSA food database this is a great resource which shows different manufactored food options for different allergies.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myfullhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2008 at 4:42pm
Thanks MrsMojo. I have sort of started today and don't really have much in the cupboard but I do have corn thins. The meal I am stuck on most is breakfast as Jack normally has weetbix and fruit and a piece of toast. As this is only an "experiment" I could give him porridge for breakfast as I don't really have much else.
Will check out the website, thanks heaps!
Lindsey

busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2008 at 5:59pm
Fruit and yoghurt for breakfast perhaps?
MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2008 at 7:50pm
Most people with gluten intolerance and allergies are ok with low gluten cereal. What happened was they changed the rules on us so all these things that were considered gluten free suddenly became low gluten instead because gluten free means no-detectable gluten but the tests for gluten are soooo sensitive now. Anyway, long story short there are some kellogs cereals that are low gluten (20mg or less). We have the kellogs cornflakes, rice bubbles and cocoa pops.

Another favourite in this house is pancakes. I use the healtheries gluten free baking mix (about $8 per 1kg bag - ouch) and mix according to the edmonds pikelet recipe.

Fruit & yoghurt is a great idea busymum and also much loved in our house. The corn thins with some vegespread (the gluten free vegemite equivalent) and cheese can also be eaten at brekki to up the carb intake.

Will he eat creamed rice? The watties creamed rice is gluten free and seems like a treat to the littlies.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myfullhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2008 at 9:47pm
Originally posted by MrsMojo MrsMojo wrote:

Fruit & yoghurt is a great idea busymum and also much loved in our house. The corn thins with some vegespread (the gluten free vegemite equivalent) and cheese can also be eaten at brekki to up the carb intake.

Will he eat creamed rice? The watties creamed rice is gluten free and seems like a treat to the littlies.

You mean vegemite has gluten in it? Oh my god this is going to be harder than I thought! Maybe I will just aim for low gluten in my little experiment.
DH has a stash of creamed rice (has to be watties !!) so will try Jack on some of that. Thanks
Lindsey

Post Reply Post Reply