FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked"Failure to Progress"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
sally belly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sally belly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Failure to Progress"
    Posted: 10 June 2008 at 8:34pm
Just wondering if anyone else had a c/s because of failure to progress? I was in labour for just over 40 hours & despite being on syntocin (I think that's what it's called) to regulate my contractions, I only managed to get to 8cm & it took 4 hours to get from 7 to 8cm . Talk about frustrating with a capital F.

Does anyone know what the chances are of me needing a c/s next time round for the same reason? Or am I doomed to "fail" next time round too?
Sponsored Links

busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2008 at 8:51pm
Hi, I have a friend who had a similar scenario for baby #1. His chin was in the wrong place in the end and she had c/s. For baby #2 she went elective. Now she's due anytime soon with baby #3 and they have given her the go ahead to try for VBA2C. So I guess that means there's hope!
jack_&_charli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jack_&_charli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2008 at 11:33pm
i would think it's up to you whether you want to try for a VBAC or go elective?   as each baby is different, you may find the next one goes without a hitch...i.e toniellis and her wonderful VBA2C waterbirth

i got to 10cms ok without any pain relief and actually found contractions comfortable.....but my little madam wasn't moving down with each push so i was dubbed 'failure to progress' after 1.5hrs of pushing......it is so Frustrating huh!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sally belly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2008 at 8:10am
I *think* I am keen to try for a VBAC next time but I suspect I would be disappointed if a similar thing happened again so a little part of me wonders if elective c/s would be a good option - just to avoid the disappointment if it all turns to custard.

It's early days though but it has been on my mind a bit lately especially as DH tells me he's keen for another one soon

jack_&_charli how frustrating for you especially because you got to 10 without pain relief. Legend! I wish I could say the same.

And yip, Toniellis is an inspiration to us all
Bobbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2008 at 11:54am
Sally I don't think you'd be 'doomed to fail' but I know what you mean - it's been on my mind lately too.

I would rather VBAC over a C sect and I think I would be fine for a VBAC except we have a family history of IUGR babies and I *really* don't want to be induced (especially as it increases your chance of rupture). So I really don't know whether to book in an OB and just do an elective C or give it a shot and then sort it out in the last month if it all goes pear shaped like last time (excuse pun).

Anyway not helpful I know but just wanted you to know you're not alone at trying to predict the future.

Peanut View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peanut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2008 at 12:09pm
Just a thought (not that I know anything) but could you give your MW a quick call and ask what the chances are for the same thing happening next time?

Am guessing all going well you would use the same MW next time and I don't think they would mind too much as would only be a 5 min phone call at least then you have some more info to make your decision...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sally belly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2008 at 12:19pm
Liam was an IUGR baby so I guess that'll be another consideration. I could ring my MW & have a quick chat with her. I don't want to use her again next time but perhaps I'll be considering an Ob anyway.

Nothing is easy is it?!!
NeoshasMummy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NeoshasMummy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2008 at 1:00pm
Same here was in labour for over 30 hours, had syntocin then the epidural but still only got to 4cm with a contraction After all that she wasnt budging and my body wasnt budging so an ob came and pretty much said it wasn't going to happen.

My mother has had the same problems with me she didn't progress past 5cm so had a c-sect after 43 hours of labour then with her second she was determined NOT to have another c-sect and carried on through a non progressive labour and the baby was still born. (after 29 hours of labor then an emergency c.section) With her third she straight away opted for the elective c-section.

With ALL of this information my midwife still thinks I could have a VBAC next time, personally I am going to seek more opinions.

By no means are you "doomed" though you could have a trial labour and you may be pleasently surprised!

Mrs Te Kani ❤️
Neosha 26/5/2007
2bmumof3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2bmumof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2008 at 1:15pm
It's about a 70% chance of having a successful VBAC after having a prior c-section, some studies show slightly higher chance of failure if previous was due to failure to progress but many others say it makes no difference. Basically you'll have about the same odds as any first time birthing mum.

I had 2 VBAC attempts which both ended in c-section due to failure to progress. Yes this was/is dissapointing but I would have always wondered if I didn't try.
Sara

Corban (22/11/04)
Connor (18/04/06)
Chelsea (21/05/08)
jack_&_charli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jack_&_charli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2008 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by 2bmumof3 2bmumof3 wrote:

I would have always wondered if I didn't try.

that's the same as me, if i hadn't tried, i would've forever wondered 'what if'

just wait til the time comes and see how you are feeling about it all, then make a decision

Roksana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roksana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2008 at 5:06pm
It took me 40 hours (or there abouts to go to full 10 cm....I have to say like you I was given syntocin...and after all that DD was not coming out because she had her hear facing up......

I am pregnant again and I am wondering the same thing. My Docs have said that there is a good posibility that I might end up with another C Section. My MW said that its posible that I will have a normal birth but they would not let me go 40 hours again. So if baby doesnt come out in 24hours then it will be a C Section.

I have thought about Electiv but I always wanted to give birth naturally and was disapointed when DD was a CS Baby. So will try my hardest to "give birth" but either way I would rather have a healthy happy baby. Who cares how it came out??!! LOL

Paws View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2008 at 6:00pm
I got 8cm easy enough (intially it was thought I was fully dialited but I wasn't) but couldn't past there plus Miss M was facing the wrong way and her ear got stuck! They gave me an epi to stop pushing and try to get her to turn but I ever ended up past the 8cm so yeah....failure to progress for me too.

I've already talked to my doctor about a VBAC for next time and she has said it could happen and we'd review it so I'd say there definetly is hope!!

LeahandJoel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeahandJoel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2008 at 6:27pm

I only got to 3cm and that seemed to take forever! So was deemed 'failure to proceed' but Leah also went into distress so was then an emergency C Sect.

I have an appointment with OB at the hospital in 5 weeks to discuss the options for a VBAC as at the beginning of this pregnancy was determined to give it a go, but if it is likely to end the same way I may see ifhaving an elective is possible. Having been through it already and knowing what to expect having another CS doesn't worry me and I will do anything for a safe and healthy baby.

Two Blondinis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Two Blondinis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2008 at 8:01pm
Failure to progress here too.
Caitlin was posterior, had cord wrapped around her neck twice, had a true knot in it and also my cervical lip was so swollen that I couldn't dialate past 9.5cms.

I don't see it as a failure as I laboured ok.

I'm in 2 minds over a VBAC or Elective C/S
Roksana View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roksana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2008 at 10:44am
Spoke to my MW yesterday and asked her if I can have a VBAC and she said she doesnt see why not? She said that I have a nice long gap between bubs so thats good and if every thing is normal and baby is sitting how it should, then it should be all go.

However she said that they wont let me go on for too long, if I dont progress in a normal way we will end up with a CSec. Oh well, not too worried. I had no issues with my first CS so its all good.

However I do want a VBAC. So here is hoping.

toniellis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toniellis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 June 2008 at 10:13am
Well I've had two FTPs & tehn a wonderfully fast homebirth so it can definitely be done. Alex was 31 hours of labour before they called it off as fetal distress & FTP and I only got to 6cm in that time. Blaire was just a simple FTP after only 9 hours of labour & 5cm dilated (stupid time limit!).... So I didn't get the VBAC the first time around because they cut the time short on me & I still believe that if I had been given more time then it would have been so much better.
Erika was my little sweetheart who did everything right & slid out after just over 4 &1/2 hours so it can DEFINITELY be done!
Mum to Alex (11), Blaire (10) & Erika (8) and Damien (6)

Successful HWB VBA2Cs!
Soon to be surrogate
MissAngel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MissAngel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2008 at 6:39pm
They only let me go for 18 hours before deciding I was failing to progress (5cm). I'm not too worried about it tho, I'm gonna go for the section next time as well. I know the recovery is longer, but at least I can get it over and done with fast!
Alex, Thomas and Lily
Shezamumof3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shezamumof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2008 at 9:39pm
I was wondering this aswell, this is what happened to me! I was in labour for 48 hours and I only got to 9 1/2cm and that was after I got my epidural. They said it was too risky to let me carry on and took me in for a c section right away.

My midwife said there is no reason why I cant have a straight forward vaginal birth next time.

ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2008 at 8:55am
I guess I am just too scared of it happening again and with E having cord around his neck..being posterier and then emergency c-section I don't want the risk for either of us again....I wish they could tell me it would all work out better next time though for sure then I would try it:) !
Mum to two amazing boys!
toniellis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toniellis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2008 at 12:23pm
foxxy_one.... My first (Alex) had cord around his neck & arm and was posterior too... 31 hours of labour before they decided on my c-section for FTP & fetal distress.
I didn't manage the natural birth after my next attempt thanks to the OBs but third time was the charm
Mum to Alex (11), Blaire (10) & Erika (8) and Damien (6)

Successful HWB VBA2Cs!
Soon to be surrogate
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>