FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedYoung, Single Mums!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
mamazozo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamazozo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Young, Single Mums!!
    Posted: 03 August 2008 at 2:35pm
Hey ladies!!

Im 19 y.o (20 in November) and im due to have my first lil baby on December the 21st.

I am not with the babies father, we were in a relationshiop but no longer are and he lives 2 hours away from where i live. He is supportive but i will still be doing it by myself.

Are there any other girls out there who are young and/or single and in a similar position to me?? I am excited and nervous about being a single mum i think it does have its advantages but definatly its disadvantages too!

If anyone has any thoughts at all please post away!! Take care,
Zoe xx

Edited by pnkbtz

Sponsored Links

lilfatty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilfatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2008 at 4:26pm
Sorry I only have this to offer ... as Im old and married (which also has its advantages and disadvantages)
Mummy to Issy (3) and Elias (18 months)

I did it .. 41 kgs gone! From flab to fab in under a year LFs weight blog
mamazozo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamazozo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2008 at 4:29pm

haha thank you

lilfatty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilfatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2008 at 4:44pm
One of the Mummies in my month (a Jan 08) Mummy is about your age ... maybe you can pop into our thread and say hello
Mummy to Issy (3) and Elias (18 months)

I did it .. 41 kgs gone! From flab to fab in under a year LFs weight blog
BuzzyBee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuzzyBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2008 at 5:06pm
Hey Zoe

First off CONGRATS, very exciting and wonderful experience you are embarking upon & you're almost half way through your pregnancy

Secondly you don't need a man around to be a fantastic mother

I'm a single mother, 20years old, 21 in Oct (was the same age as yourself when I fell preg). Bubs father is not involved whatsoever, he hijacked it to Aus when I was a couple months along in my pregnancy & we haven't heard from him since. His loss, I'm the happiest I've ever been & have a wonderful family that have supported me along the way.

My lil guy is 16.5 months old now, cheeky wee thing. Best thing I've ever done, no regrets whatsoever. Lucas is my life now!

I'm always here to chat, feel free to PM me, I'm in auckland too, although out in Papakura so kinda the other end lol.

WELCOME TO OHBABY!

ps. BTW my names Steph
mamazozo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamazozo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2008 at 5:11pm

Hey Steph,

Thats so great to hear such encouraging words! My family are hugely supportive so im sure it will work out fine for me aswell!

Sounds like were better off without men anyway, the bastards go and do things like running away lol, who needs em!!

Thanks for the support it makes it a lil less scary hearing from other women my age who have already been there done that! hehe

Zoe

Alianasmummy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alianasmummy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2008 at 6:13pm
Hi Zoe,
Im 22 now but was in your position when i was 19. My ex and i broke up a week before i found out i was pregnant, which was great, i dont think i would have the guts to leave otherwise.
Thank god i had my mum, we wernt close before Xavier came but she helped me so much and gave me me the confidence to do it alone.
I moved out when he was 16 months to the south island, a bit crazy as i was in Auckland surrounded by family, but I felt i had to prove something...
I was convinced i would be alone for a long time, why would a guy want a girl with a toddler? but i found it just weeds out the jerks. mention you have a kid to a guy looking to use you and hel run a mile!
I found the most amazing guy who cares for my boy like his own, and now we have a beautiful little girl together.
Theres down sides to single parenting, no doubt about it, and its hard, but there are so many good things too. You can raise them how you want, no arguments.
Xaviers dad is part of his life but that has down sides too. Xavier is disrupted every 3 months to go to Aucks to see him and i have to put up with a horrible X trying his hardest to get him moved back to Aucks. He cant but now its in court i may aswell get a proper parenting order.
Sort out custody arangments asap and get it signed and witnessed by a JP! Thats my biggest advice, Single mums get free lawyers through WINZ.
PM me if you want, i visit Auck lots. Good luck, its so much fun, and amazing how much you can love that lil person inside you

tickers" /></a>
MelanieAndBree View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MelanieAndBree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2008 at 7:03pm

Hii!  First off, Congrats! and welcome to OhBaby!

Im 22 and a single mum to my daughter Briahna who is 11 months old. I was with B's dad for a year then i fell pregant and he ended it when i was 8 weeks pregnant. He has yet to meet his daughter! But probably isnt going to happen any time soon mind you!

No regrets here. My beautiful girl was a blessing! I was totally freaked out at first aye, its not easy. But sooo worth it!

Who needs men eh

Hope everything has gone and goes smoothly with the pregnancy!! Halfway, so do you know the sex? Or shall i assume from the colour of your ticker its a girl? lol..

Melanie.
Mum to Briahna Robyn, 3yrs
mamazozo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamazozo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2008 at 7:43pm

Alianasmummy thanks for the advice, im lucky enough to still be friends with my ex and there will be no need for custody arrangements as that situation wont arise with me but i feel for you being in that position, wot a stress and a hassle that must be terrible for you!! Awesome that you found urself a good guy and now have another gorgeous lil baby things sound like they r great for you!!

and melanie thank you and thank you lol i am really excited even though she wasnt planned i am stoked im going to be a mummy!! Thats terrible bout her daddy and he hasnt even met her? god im starting to think maybe im quite a bit better off then alot of other single mums out there! Yea half way its going so fast i cnt believe it and yes we think shes a girl, shes a lil squirmer though nd we couldnt quite see on the ultrasound so were confirming on the 22nd of august i am sooooo excited!!

caitlynsmygirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caitlynsmygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2008 at 10:35pm
Hey Zoe, hope you dont mind me posting in here, im not a single mum ...now
My daughter Caitlyn is six and i had her at 20 , her father and I broke up , er , five minutes before i told him I was pregnant (not my smartest move as he was driving alt the time)
Anyway , hes always been supportive, but ive been her main parent , and while it hasnt always been easy, i wouldnt trade any of it for the world
Her dad lives in Australia so she doesnt see him much ,but TBH my DF is more of her dad now anyway , hes the one that comforts her when i cant, and loves her like she was his own , in Oct we are going to start trying for bub number 2, so will be interesting the difference between having the father involved in everything , and in a relationship with me , compared to what it was like with Caitlyn

Best of luck for the rest of your pregnancy chick
AnnC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnnC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2008 at 10:52pm
I am also a been there done that mother... I was pregnant at 19 and had josh at 20. I got pregnant in the Uk (on my OE ) and came back over here (with father) when I was 5 months pregnant.. things didn't work out with Josh's father and he went back to the Uk.

I have/had huge support from my parents. i really had lost touch with school friends so they were really my only support till I found new friends. it was hard though and nothing came easy but that made me more determind.

Me and Josh have been through alot and come out the other end so much better for it (although could of done with out the absive relationship i found myself in) I live for him (and the other 2) and he has taught me so much. Just like I am his mother he has been my rock and he is such a cool kid i am very lucky. Hes now 15.

If i could turn back time YEAH I would of done alot of things differently but I can't, although having said that I am in the best relationship, married to the best man and 3 gorgeous kids - life couldn't be better so things do turn out right in the end, just have to jump over those stepping stones (or big hurdles) that life throws at you.

Good luck with your life ahead it will be one of damn hard work but with such special always to remember rewards
Ann

Also Mum to Josh (15) and Brooke (10)
AliaDawn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AliaDawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2008 at 11:15am
I'm not a single mum, but I'm probably one of the youngest on OB compared to my bub's age, I was 17 when I had Seb (2 this month) and though it's hard, I reckon being a single mum at any age would've been alot harder. I'm lucky in that though Seb wasn't planned, it was to the right guy if not the right time!

I'm now 19, and TTC bubs #2, as we would love a sibling for Seb, and in the early planning stages of finally getting round to marrying DF (21) You have to work harder as a young or single parent, but it is sooo worth it!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MelanieAndBree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2008 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by pnkbtz pnkbtz wrote:

and melanie thank you and thank you lol i am really excited even though she wasnt planned i am stoked im going to be a mummy!! Thats terrible bout her daddy and he hasnt even met her? god im starting to think maybe im quite a bit better off then alot of other single mums out there! Yea half way its going so fast i cnt believe it and yes we think shes a girl, shes a lil squirmer though nd we couldnt quite see on the ultrasound so were confirming on the 22nd of august i am sooooo excited!!

No problem! I know what you mean, about the not being planned thing but still being excited.

You are very lucky to still be on good terms with your ex and that he is still going to be involved! My ex and his family all tried to tell me i should get an abortion. Dickheads lol.

Anyways, have you decided on any names?? I was so stoked when i found out i was having a girl, exactly what i wanted! Not that i would have minded if i had a boy hehe but i had a million girls names picked out and 1 boys name lol.

Melanie.
mamazozo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamazozo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2008 at 1:36pm

Haha unplanned but not unwanted thats what i say!!

and yeah i really am lucky, and hes very supportive and he already has 2 kids so i know hes a gr8 dad...he just lives so far away but it will be ok. Im sure im gonna be ok doing it by myself im a tough cookie lol.

God they sound horrible, you dont need that kinda crap that must of been horrible to deal with!

Um names,...im so not sure, i have a couple i like I really like Lily, Storm and Taryn..im sure ill change my mind though lol!! i like unusual names...ne 1 with any suggestions feel free to fire away i need sum inspiration!

mamazozo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamazozo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2008 at 1:42pm

caitlynsmygirl - thats so gr8 to hear u have a really gr8 DF i hope i can meet someone like that too oneday lol even though im sure its harder to meet gr8 guys when you have a baby!!

AnnC - its so gr8 to hear from some1 who has been there done that and has added more to the family and lived a gr8 (but tough) life by the sounds of it, thanks for the advice im going to try really hard to treasure the rewarding parts so that the tough parts dont seem so bad!

AliaDawn - thanks for the reply, i agree im sure im going to have to work alot harder but its gonna be so worth it! and you lucky girl atleast u have a gr8 man behind you. GL with TTC and gettin married etc thats wonderful, and your boy is just gorgeous!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MelanieAndBree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2008 at 1:47pm

Haha yeah, well im not the toughest cookie around but i still managed so you will be fine :) Im just lucky that i had a completely chilled out child. Everyone seems to comment on how good she is. Shes laid back as.

Yeah they were dickheads. At the time i was devastated really, especially with his parents havinga  go at me and he didnt even step in and tell them to stop it. Ha ha i got over it though! My family wanted to kill them!

Although the exs mum has Briahna every saturday now. Once we broke up she changed her tune lol. She apologised for the things she said, but it was mainly her asshole of a husband anyways (exs stepdad).

Those are lovely names!! Im not so good with names. When i was like 15 i wanted to name my daughter Brianna. Then once i was actually having a girl, i still wanted to anme her brianna but it changed to Briahna lol. The other names i had were really girly ones and not so "different" like Chloe, charlotte etc.

But then i dont know a hell of a lot of Briahnas anyway so im happy with that

Melanie.
mamazozo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamazozo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2008 at 1:53pm

good on ya, and you must be pretty tough, dealing with all that and raising a beautiful baby, give urself sum credit lol. Good that she has a relationship wit her nan now thou, i think family is really important ay.

I love the name Briahna its a beautiful name, and i havnt met any1 called that before good choosing!! i hope i choose a good name lol

nikkitheknitter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nikkitheknitter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2008 at 1:55pm
I got preggo at the same age as you are now and had the father nowhere in sight! (long story... drunken times at uni)

Anyway, now I have a live in boyfriend who is fab with Han (though not entirely sure if it's a forever thing now ) but have had a great 3 years and it is totally do-able!

I'm now working after finishing my degree while Han was younger and loving being able to provide for myself and the kiddo

And as Alianasmummy said, it weeds out the ass holes! I won't lie and say that the step parent relationship is sometimes a difficult one, but it's awesome once you get it going well.
MumsyMoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MumsyMoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2008 at 2:00pm
Heya...

My name's Serenity and I have a (now) six month old wee girl, Eden.
She was born 5 days before my birthday.

Her Daddy and I are still together, but at the moment things are quite rough, so it's looking as though single motherhood is only round the corner... Maybe not for good, but we need a break from one another.

I come from a single parent home, and I will forever be indebited to my Mum for all the hard work she put in to raising us all.

Single mothers deserve a medal, I can't imagine the trials and tribulations that would come with it, but it must be so so rewarding as well.

I wish you all the best for the remaining months! And congratulations

Taryn's a wicked name btw. I wanted to call number too Ivy if it's a girl... We'll have to see
My wee girl is the love and light of my life!
MumsyMoo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MumsyMoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2008 at 2:02pm
Oh... Haha, should've been more specific.

I'm the one LilFatty was talking about... I got pregnant at 19 and had Eden 5 days before my 20th.

I blame nappy brain!

My wee girl is the love and light of my life!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>