FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedOctober 2008 Mum’s and bub’s

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 448>
Author
KiwiNZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2008 at 9:08am
hope everything is going ok with little Ash - has anyone heard?
PAM
Sponsored Links

KiwiNZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2008 at 1:06pm
here's little Sonya having playtime :)

PAM
catisla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catisla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2008 at 1:13pm
so gorgeous Pam - love the play mat as well!

Katie_R View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katie_R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 October 2008 at 7:55pm
Aaaww cute photo!!

I will be cheeky and cut and paste this from the other forum

So Ash is out of theatre, it went really well, but now is the hard part - recovery! They say the first two days are when they have to watch him and make sure nothing crazy happens. He is totally zonked out with tubes coming out of everywhere and on so many drugs its not funny as you can imagine. When we first saw him he jumped a bit when they did something and opened his eyes and looked at us, but he was totally out of it so it was terrible to see. I was kinda expecting him to be completely asleep like last time. But they gave him some more *something magical* and he is back asleep. All the nurses were having a spazz coz he wasn't doing what they expected and had to give him a balloon thing to bring up his saturations and they called all these people in, so for a while it was totally scary. But when the surgeon came in she set them all straight and said he is doing fine enough. Phew I feel so much better now. He ended up having a shunt put in and they did it through his ribs so this time it wasn't in his chest, he just has a gnarly scar on his side. But as people tell me chicks dig scars so thats fine :P It was all pretty much as horrible as I expected, he is sooo little and too cute to be all cut up!! BUT he will be out of here in no time!!

kmarie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmarie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2008 at 6:00pm
Hi guys... thought I'd drop in on you since my wee September bump turned out to be an Oct 2 baby

Katie, so glad to hear things are going well with Ash - here's hoping his recovery is fast and you can take him home soon.

Congrats Chonny - you must be so relieved to have an end to all those contractions! And I'm sure David is absolutely gorgeous

And congrats to all other Oct mums & bubs so far

twins in heaven Oct07
Is 40:11 "He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart."
JoJames View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoJames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2008 at 7:53pm
Hi I thought I might post in here since I have been lurking on the due Oct board for a while. And I figure I would appreciate the support you guys give to eah other. My name is Jo, I had my 9lb 3oz baby James on Tuesday 14th october after a 24hr labour ending in an emergency c-section, pretty crazy this whole birth thing and I can't believe that I had this whole person inside me, we finally got let home today so are stoked to be at home, was going to meltdown otherwise. have some pain, and are still tired. but it is great having DH there to carry the unsettlled load instead of going home at night leaving me, my MW told him that I wasn't to do anything but sleep and feed, which currently is almost every hour. Anyway look forward to sharing this journey with you guys if thats ok
catisla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catisla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2008 at 7:57pm
Hello Jo! Congrats on your wee man -what a good size!

Where abouts in NZ are you?

I am really a September mum, but have remained an honoury Oct mum due to getting my dates mixed up in the beginning . ..

Glad you got a supportive DH there - certainly helps!

JoJames View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoJames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2008 at 8:28pm
Hey, we live in Te Puke, My DH is great he's still in awe of me after the birth where he felt a bit useless, so he will do anything for me. I actually wonder whether my dates were a little bit out, cause I was 12 days over and got induced, there will always be that wonder if I could have done it my self. James has now slept 1 1/2 hours which is a bit nerve wraking, but I really dont want to wake him for a feed
FionaO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FionaO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 October 2008 at 9:50pm

Welcome Jo, congrats on your bubba and yay for good dh's mind is a real angel and i know what you mean about being home and them not having to go, i had a little weap when in the hospital in the eve when he would go home.

Still first night all together tonight.

I have no idea about if we are feeding too much/too little etc.......and know I should be resting when he does, but i feel so awake all the time, probably only sleeping about 2 hours a day for the last 3 - sure that can't be good.

Katie good to hear things are going well with Ash.

Pam - Sonya's so cute, hope things are going well with you guys

][/URL]

KiwiNZ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KiwiNZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2008 at 12:48pm
Hi Jo - welcome. It's great to have a supportive DH. Mine is off back to work tomorrow which is a shame. He is making me lunch as I type - which I guess I will have to sort out for myself as of tomorrow. He has even said he will do the ironing this afternoon :)

Fi - I find it really hard to sleep in the day as well. I only have a nap about every 3 days - when I am so exhausted that I just have to.

The MW came around to see Sonya this morning and everything is going really well. A couple of times we have had to wake Sonya for a feed at night after about 4 hours but since she is putting on good weight the MW said we can leave her as long as we like at night. I have this dream that she will sleep for 7 hours or so if we leave her but knowing our luck she will be up every two hours tonight. I guess we just have to remember that there is no routine for at least another month
PAM
emachan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emachan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2008 at 9:53pm
Hi Jo and everyone else!

Just thought I would check in! Still can't really believe I'm a Mum and Lily is now 3 weeks old!!! Where does the time go?
Had another weigh in today and she's now 3.72kg (probably a bit more as she had just wet her nappy before being weighed!) So she's putting on weight just perfectly! (She was 3.14kg when she was born!)

About to go and express some milk to top up the supply for DH to bottlefeed her at her next feed in an hour or two, hope everyone gets some sleep tonight!

DD#1 Sept 08
DD#2 Oct 09
FionaO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FionaO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2008 at 1:25pm

Hi all, well we had a pretty good night, Finley went down around midnight and got up at 3 then that was it until about 6 and i managed some sleep too, so feel pretty human today, amazing what you get used to.

Quick query, if you express a bit and put that in the fridge can you add more to the same mix later, i need to express a whole feed but can't do it in one sitting at the mo.

Had some 5 day blues last night, dh made roast dinner and just as i started eating i just started to cry, so we had a good cuddle, dinner got cold and then i felt fine again - weird.

Emma that's great about Lily gaining weight. MW weighed DS yesterday and he has only lost 100g or 2oz since birth which she is thrilled about as he barely fed for the first 3 days.

][/URL]

JoJames View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoJames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2008 at 3:50pm
Hey Fiona, according to the instructions that came with my breast pump you can keep adding breast milk, you just have to use it within 48 hours from the first addition. I'm a bit afraid to express at the moment, though I wouldn't mind DH having a turn, cause J is feeding so often, I'm scared there won't be enough for him. My milk only came in yesterday also, so I might wait a few more days.
I'm pretty emotional, feel like I'm going to cry a lot, especially when J crys. Does any one else just stick a boob in baby's mouth when they cry? I'm never sure whats wrong and that seems to do the trick.
Its funny that J was a whole kg heavier than Lily at birth. He's back to his birth weight which is good cause we also had rough feeding the first couple of days, but we used Formula(much to everyones horror) so that helped
FionaO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FionaO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2008 at 4:21pm

Jo, thanks for that, I thought you must be able to. I need to express a bit anyway since my milk came in, my boobs just leak and leak and leak and he can't latch on unless i get rid of some.

The emotional bit for me comes at moments i least expect its weird.

How long does a baby feed from each side. Finley happily spends 30 mins on each side, sometimes 1 side is enough but its always 30 mins, i wondered whether he is comfort suckling but i can hear him swallow all the time so he must still be feeding.

DH is trying the evening feed tonight - wish us luck. For some reason it makes me nervous.

][/URL]

chonny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chonny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2008 at 9:56pm
ok, so for some reason i seem to have been missing getting these posts. Welcome Jo, James was born the same day as David MW came today & David is up to 3.56kg so past his birth weight which is great. She said he is obviously getting plenty of milk dispite the issues we having with feeding. My system clogge dup so can barely walk today. Have spent day in PJ's & on the couch. D wouldn't settle this am so ended up with him on my chest & finally got him to sleep so was good coz it meant that i was based on the couch & meant i could sleep. Mum took Vincent so it was great.
I've been VERY teary the last couple of days. with having BFing issues it has had me really upset. had a little moment again this avo. just needed someone to tell me the pain would be worth it so called mum & she reassured me.
David is a good sleeper once he is settled. am going to go & wake him very soon to feed him & change his nappy. he will then sleep about 6 hrs during the night which is nice except it means i am waking up saturated coz i am leaking everywhere!!!!

FionaO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FionaO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2008 at 9:16am

Chonny with David being past his birth weight it sounds like  you are doing a great job, which is awesome considering the pain you must be in.

Does he sleep 6 hours without needing a feed - wow.

Finley can manage 3.5 or 4 hours sleep in one go but that's about it, still i'm happy with that.

Dh did the late evening feed last night, i went to bed at 9 and thought I would never sleep through but i just passed up and only woke at 2am, when Finley woke up for his next feed, 5 hours sleep - i feel like i could run a marathon now.

Oh yes, how much pain should i still be in, i had a big tear and a perineal tear and many stitches but my tail bone feels so sore, it still means i am walking round very slowly. My mw said not to walk any great distant for 10 days or so, but just wondering how sore others are?????

][/URL]

chonny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chonny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2008 at 3:34pm
quite normal to be in heaps of pain fiona. i remember with Vincent i had 2 degree tearing & stitches & my bottom would ache if i walked, stood or sat in one position for too long. I am finding i get a sore tailbone if i'm sitting too long even now. Make sure you are leaning forward when you pee, i know it sounds weird, but it stops the stitches & wound from stinging.

Yes David can sleep 6hrs or so without wanting a feed. I can't believe how much he sleeps nor how much he has put on considering how little he feeds. Have known he is a better feeder than Vincent was as David guzzles it down & like Finley, keeps swallowing. Vincent used to get tired/lazy. David tends to fall asleep, but still is swallowing heaps & when stimulated usually keeps swallowing. it's when he doesn't that you knwo he is out to the world. It is nice getting heaps of sleep from him, makes things a bit easier with Vincent. Altho last night he only did a couple of 4-5 hr stretches but hey, it's way better than being up 2-3 times a night like i was with Vincent.

Hope everyone else is doing ok? How is Ash doing Katie? I was hoping to get in to see you gusy this week but with not being well yesterday & not having the feeding comfortable, i'm sort of hybernating at home a bit.

jessm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jessm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2008 at 4:27pm
Just thought I'd catch up with things in this thread. Suppose everyone will move over here properly once all babys are out!

I am amazed at these babies sleeping for so long! Avivas longest sleep since the first day (when she slept for about 6hrs) has been 3hrs, mostly only 2hrs! But I'm not complaining - I have to go check on her if she doesn't wake up to make sure she's still okay!!

For the record Fi, I was told I had no tears & still was sore for a couple of days, weeing is only just becoming okay after nearly a week because of grazes! Hope your tears heal quickly. Not to diminish yours, just to let you know I think there is pain however you go!!

I have Aviva in a wrap at the moment because she didn't want to sleep (she has these 2hr 'awake' periods which she will not cut short!!), she has gone to sleep now and is so cute to have sleeping on me!

FionaO View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FionaO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2008 at 10:05am

so that's ok with the pain thing then, I was just finding it all ached down there even when in bed which was stopping me from sleeping but it is starting to ease off, my mw thinks I have bruised my tailbone a bit too - its all very ouchy that's for sure.

Jess, Finley really only sleeps 3 - 4 hours in one stretch but i'm ok with this too, its enough if he links a couple of those together. Last night he went to bed at 11, up at 3, i woke at 2.45 in a blind panic that i woke up because I needed to pee and not because he was crying. Then he was back to sleep until 6.45, so pretty good in all.

Sore nipple day though, after feeding sometimes it feels like they are on fire. We need some more October babies to come out, fill this thread out a bit!!

Nana and Poppa arrive today, i'm sure Finley would be excited if he could understand, i'm excited as long as they leave me to it.

][/URL]

catisla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catisla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2008 at 10:34am
good luck with the grandparents Fi (these are the in-laws aren't they?). Mine were pretty tiring!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 448>