FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBecoming pregnant after a loss

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sarahlou View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarahlou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Becoming pregnant after a loss
    Posted: 12 January 2009 at 4:29pm
We lost our little boy Ryan at 23 and a half weeks gest on Oct 15th 2008... it was discovered at your 20 week scan that he had a very bad heart defect, so we had to make the hardest decision of your lives to terminate the pregnancy (which might I add was concieved after a 4 year battle of becoming preganat and then finally IVF!)

Im due to have another embryo transferred early Feb and Im sooooo scared....I desperatly want to give my angel Ryan a brother or sister but Im petrified that this may happen again!! I dont know how I would coap if it did... my hands start to shake every time I think about it! Every night when we go to bed the last thing on my mind is Ryan and the whole ordeal we went through before we lost him, including the birth and the heartbreaking days and weeks after.....I dont know what makes me start to think about it but ido! everynight!! can anyone let me know is this normal? I dont want to stop thinking about Ryan but I feel like Im ready to move on and give him a sibling. We also have his EDD coming up on the 6th of Feb, we are having his headstone put up that day and Im not looking forward to that at all.....do you think Im doing this too soon?? I dont know, I guess I just would like to know if anyone else has gone through a similar feeling??

Sponsored Links

fire_engine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fire_engine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2009 at 4:56pm
SarahLou, I can't even begin to imagine what you have been through but your emotional response is completely understandable.

We had a heart baby (we found out after his birth) and even though everything went well, there were many times after his surgery where it was the one of the few things I thought about, especially when I lay down to go to sleep - that was my worst time. Have you been able to talk to anyone about the risks of having another heart baby?   From my understanding, the risk is slightly higher but is still very small - but the experts who know about Ryan's heart condition could give you more specific information.    Having another baby isn't wrong, and it won't "reduce" or dishonour your memory of Ryan. If you feel that you would like to have a sibling, then listen to that. That said, I would encourage you to talk it through with someone who has experience in this field - is there a counsellor you can access at your IVF clinic, or one of the nurses? How does your DH feel about it?

I hope you are able to get through the next few months with some answers and peace of mind.

Mum to two wee boys
ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2009 at 4:57pm
I have no advice but just wanted to say to you for the coming months.
Mum to two amazing boys!
Saffy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 January 2009 at 10:18pm
HI Sarahlou,
Gosh that's just awful. I'm really really sorry that your little guy didn't make it. I can feel a degree of empathy with you in that we were essentially forced into a corner of turning off our son's ventilator at 28 weeks. It was horrific, as I'm sure you can appreciate.

I think you're incredibly brave. Ryan's been gone a matter of months and you're ready to tackle the road ahead. I spent months numb and able to think about little else. Over time (it has been 7 years now!) the numbness thawed and now I can think about our little guy without crying every time! In answer to your question, I think you're grieving, plain and simple! Have you gone to a SANDS meeting? Perhaps it would be good for you and hubby to be able to talk with others about how you're feeling - then you'll really appreciate that it's "normal" in such a blo*dy unfair and abnormal situation.

I wish you all the very best with your next round - I'm certain that your doctors will take the very best of care with you. I do suggest though that you'll potentially find it a tricky event until you get past the 23.5 week milestone... but that's just how I think I'd be.

All the best :)

Edited by Saffy
Jessica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jessica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2009 at 1:31pm
Sarahluo, I can totally relate, we found out at our 19 weeks scan a)we were having twins and b) they were con-joined (siamese), we also had to make the same decision, never a day goes by when I don't think of my boys.
I got preg 5 months after and found the whole thing hit me again, I will pretty laid back with my first preg but with Lachie I was a nervous wreck, especially the first 20 weeks. I think I found the initial bonding with him a little hard because I was so sure something would be wrong. But now he is the most important thing in my life, and I often talk to him about his brothers. i also often mention the boys in conversation - they are after all my first borns!
I am now preg again and still have major anxiety, and will probably be like that till a least my 19 week scan. The staff are fantastic in Oamaru and I have had extra scans etc just to make me feel better.
Sorry this is really long, thinking of you and feel freee to PM me if you want to talk about anything

Our con-joined boys 20 wk
queenbean View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote queenbean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2009 at 2:54pm
Hugs Sarahlou,

I have also been in the same position, now currently 32 weeks pregnant with our "rainbow" baby. I have to say I have not been able to be completely relaxed at anytime throughout this pregnancy, and I think that is "normal" for anyone who has been through a loss. I don't know if there is a "right" time to begin trying for another baby (we got pregnant 6 months after losing our daughter) I think it would be difficult at any time, but overall I think my current pregnancy has been a big part of the healing process for my husband and I. EDDs and Angel birthdays are difficult to deal with, but I think the build-up to these days are often worse than the actual day itself.

All the best for your embryo transfer and hope the 6th is a lovely remembrance day for Ryan.

maudie23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maudie23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2009 at 8:23pm
Sarahlou,

Massive hugs coming your way. I don't like thinking about families who have been through heartache.

I have been through something similar we lost our daughter in May 08. I fell pregnant 2 months after (very soon I know). I found that fallng pregnant again so soon after was part of the healing but at the same time. When I did my wee on that stick an overwealming sadness came across me.

There is no right & wrong way to deal with the loss of a baby.
When we had Anika's EDD I asked all my family overseas to get a pink balloon and let it go for you. This is somethin I will do every year.

I am currently 25 weeks pregnant (almost) and not a day goes by when I don't freak out and just wish to god the next 15 week would fly by. I won't rest until my wee man is in my arms.

If you feel February is the right time to try again then go for it hun. You know in your heart of hearts when its time.

I wish you all the very best for February & I will be thinking of you on February 6th. Take the day minute by minute remember wee Ryan as your beautiful little boy.

Sarahlou View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sarahlou Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2009 at 9:22am
Thanks guys for all your kind words...

I had a big talk with my hubby last night and Im feeling much better now. Ryan will always be our first born child and will we love and miss him dearly for the rest of our lives, and who knows I might even meet him one day??? Im going to tell our next child all about Ryan and how he or she has a big brother watching over them. The innocence of pregnancy has gone for me and I dont think I will ever get it back, but Im going to try and enjoy every moment of this next pregnancy!!! and my husband and I will stick together and battle through whatever the big man upstairs throws at us!! and at the end of the day we will still have each other and our memories of Ryan....

Sarahlou
xxx

PS to those of you who are expecting, good luck with the months and years ahead.

RunningT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RunningT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2009 at 4:01pm
Hi Sarahlou.

Sorry no advice but I didn't want to read and run.

Big hugs for you and your family and best wishes for what ever the big man throws at you.
 Post Reply Post Reply