FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedmaori superstitions fantail in house

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
phatchik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatchik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2010 at 8:56am
Hiya, I had a fantail in my house recently too. It was odd because we havent seen fantails for quite some time (months) and one was flying around in the house for a while before I realise he was inside and not outside with his/her mates.

I was initially worried as I had heard that they are the fore bearers of a death in the family. We have a 4 month old baby boy and it concerned me. Then I remebered the same thing happened when my daughter was born 20 years ago, she was about the same age when we were visited by a fantail.

I believe it was a spirit visiting my children, perhaps their maternal grandfather they never got to meet. he died a few years before my daughter was born.
Sponsored Links

Kellyfer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kellyfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2010 at 10:13am
Awesome thread... I have always loved fantails because they're so friendly! And sometimes when you're tramping out in the wops, the same one will follow you for ages!
I knew they had some significance in terms of Maori mythology, but I wasn't sure of the exact story. But I do know that it's true that death omens across cultures can often swing the other way and be "life omens" so to speak. So maybe the fantail visiting is some sort of connection between the spirit world and our world... perhaps a blessing from someone you were close to who has passed on the TTC. Or maybe it is a family spirit who is close to your child popping in for a visit.
Booski View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Booski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2010 at 10:59am
Oh yes I'd always heard is was the black fantails who were 'bad' omens. But in saying that the black fantail is a Southern NZ species.

If hubby is freaking out theres no harm in having a blessing I recon

TheKelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheKelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2010 at 1:17pm
This is reminds me of Shortland street ...Norman died in a car crash after he thought he saw a fantail ...except noone else could see it , which I think they said was the whole point ,its when you see a fantail but noone else does that you start crapping your pants .
However if you are seeing things others don't see , you shoule probably be a bit concerned anyway ....

ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2010 at 1:48pm
we had one fly in the other day and i worried... but my relative had just died and also we live in the country and as DH said there are a milllion fantails out here.. it was quiet though so that was good.. anyway great thread !
Mum to two amazing boys!
Jessica View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jessica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2010 at 5:49pm
We always seem to have fantails in the house - always two and it has been in the last 3 houses we have lived in, used to freak me out a little until a Maori friend told me it was spirits past coming back to visit, so now I just like to think that is my twins who we lost in 2006 - Lachie and Tessa get very excited when they come in!

Our con-joined boys 20 wk
Aquarius View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aquarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2010 at 9:44pm

i wont lie, fantails scare me.
i think getting the house blessed is a great idea expecially if one of you are concerned.
if noone gave a second thought to it then its a non issue but when there is a window of doubt in someones mind it seems to manifest...
i defineatly think they are related to the spirits some how...not nesessary to bring death but maybe someone who has recently passed or is connected to you guys.
not all superstitions get me...but i would never have arum lillies in my home either (dont know why)

mum to mr 16 & mr 10
Guest_82673 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guest_82673 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2012 at 8:45pm
i don't think my family has ever came together as one and visited my nana and great nanas grave stone we visited the grave stone today and my nana and great nana is really into there moari beliefs a fantail greeted us today on the headstones it was so friendly and so unreal we could almost touch it also my cousins girlfriend is pregnant. wither you believe it or not but i believe the fantails represent death or somethings beautifuls going to happen.
lisame View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisame Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 July 2012 at 12:09pm
like Jessica, we frequently have fantails fly into our house. Over summer, probably once a week they'll do a few circuits of the lounge and dining room, pick up some insects, and leave again. I don't really think much of it other than it's nice to have them around... we're surrounded by bush and have lots of glass round our lounge and dining room, and sets of french doors, so I guess it's an extension of outdoors for them.

I laughed at TheKelly... these fantails are visible to others, not just me!
MrsMojo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrsMojo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2012 at 6:30am
We had a fantail visit us in April last year. I had lived in that house for over 3 years and never seen a fantail before. It didn't come inside but stayed outside, where we were playing, and flew/swooped around for ages.... So long I got my camera out to record the odd behaviour.
A few days later my MIL was at FILs grave for his anniversary when she collapsed. She died 6 days later.
At her interment we noticed two fantails sitting in two different trees close by. As the final blessing was being said they swooped down, crossed paths over the grave and then flew away together.
Now I'm not particularly superstitious and neither DH or I have Moari blood but that was extraordinary.
Maybe FIL came to guide his wife as her time with us ended but he took the opportunity to play with the grand kids he never met first.

Edited by MrsMojo
Summer231203 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Summer231203 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2018 at 7:07pm
I had 2 visit me a few weeks ago they came through a tiny window. One sat on my head and sang me an song danced around and left. They came at a very dark time in my life and as soon as I saw them I felt at peace I think it was my grandfather coming to tell me im okay. I felt my grandfather's presence.

And nobody has died so I'll just take it as I believe.
RogerLauder231977 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerLauder231977 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2018 at 2:47pm
Hi
I had fantails a sometime swallows come in.
Dont worry about it.
Where I work fantail will dive through when door partly open spend time looking for insects them may have open door to let sometimes 2 out we have many come in so far no nody croaked.
ChenelleM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChenelleM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2019 at 2:26am
I have lived in my house for around 8 years... in the first 7 years i had 1 fantail fly into our lounge and a couple of months later an uncle passed away...now in the last 3 months we have had 6 fantails fly into our house, going from room to room. (I am terrified of birds) but I am a spiritual person, i have Maori family, so im in two minds about it being both a good and a bad thing. Unfortunately my nana has a terminal disease and can understand if they are warning me about this, but i also have heard it can be a spirit coming to visit or a sign of new beginnings.... so to put my mind at ease I believe it is my poppa (nanas deceased husband) visiting me as he maybe hanging around waiting for my nana to join him...i wish he wouldn’t visit me as a bird but after i have a freak out, I reminded myself that it is a peaceful thing, and they are never threatening... such a graceful, smart and beautiful bird to.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12