FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedJust wondering

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Aithne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aithne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Just wondering
    Posted: 26 January 2009 at 10:27pm
If you end up having a c-section whether its planned or not planned is there certain things you cant have on or have to take out in the theatre??

Like i just got my mum to paint my toenails for me so i have something "pretty" to look at but have heard you cant wear nail polish.

And i have my ears and tounge peirced. i dont mind taking my ears out for a little while but really really dont want to take my tounge out in case it heals over. But also with my ears i have studs and small hoops, the studs are the ones you pierce your ear with so have that little click so they are too hard for me too take out.

Not sure if there is anything else.
Sponsored Links

Mum2L View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mum2L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2009 at 10:33pm
You will have to take out the stud in your tongue, if it is metal. If it is plastic, then it is fine.

Also, you can't wear a underwire bra, or any bra, due to the sticky things they have to put on your chest.

Also any other jewelery. I had to take off everything, including my pounamu necklace.

The only thing I was allowed to wear in the end was the hospital gown and a protective cap for my hair!

They are pretty strict, due to the sterile nature of the c-section theatre, but also if they have to jump start your heart again!

Aithne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aithne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2009 at 10:40pm
Plastic i can do!

Jump starting your heart , now im worried

Well i hope my rings will come off easy if i need a c-section hehe
Mum2L View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mum2L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2009 at 10:49pm
Hehe, it is rare, but they have to be prepared (this is what the ob told me). Any metal on your body can affect the way the electric shock administered in conducted through your body.

Also, it may hurt a little bit when they put your IV line in. They use a bigger needle, in case you need a blood transfusion, and it is normally the doc that does your spinal/epi that will put that IV in.

Also it is a tad uncomfortable having the combination spinal/epi put in. If you have a high tolerance to drugs, like me, it took 5 doses of local to get the spinal/epi into the epidural cavity, then they had to redose me twice during the operation as I was regaining feeling and movement too fast!

If you are having an elective, be prepared to wait a long time. I was booked in for first thing in the morning (8.30am), but ended up having it at 5pm, as there were 5 or 6 emergency c-sections to be done when I got there.

lisa85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisa85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2009 at 10:47am
TMI

I mentioned this is one of the other C/S threads but they shave off your pubic hair before surgery Don't know about anyone else but I certainly didn't want a nurse coming at me down there with a razor! So I got a brazillian a week before surgery that way I didn't have to worry about any hair growing back any where near the baby exit site lol.

TTC #3 since Jan 2010 - PCOS
MC April 2010
lisa85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisa85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2009 at 10:51am
Lady Aset wrote -

If you are having an elective, be prepared to wait a long time. I was booked in for first thing in the morning (8.30am), but ended up having it at 5pm, as there were 5 or 6 emergency c-sections to be done when I got there.

I was lucky I had an elective and was first on the list for that day. No wait time at all. I guess its the luck of the draw. We arrived at 0730 booked for 0830 babies were out by 0904 and 0905. So I hope you don't have to wait. I imagine you would have been a nervous wreck by the end of the day Lady_Aset

MC April 2010
kezplanet View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kezplanet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2009 at 1:49pm

Its not only  the nerves if you do have to wait you are also nil by mouth!!!  Can make for a very long day.

They may want you to take nail polish off as they sometimes pinch/press on your nails to check circulation to your extremities and if you have no feeling you cant tell them if there is anything wrong.  As for the shaving they didnt use a razor with me they had small electric beard trimmer and they only did the very top part where they cut (it was a natural crease so blends well)

Kerryn, Mum to
Ashlyn(29/3/04), Anastasia(1/11/05) & Abigail (24/02/09)
Aithne View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aithne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2009 at 1:58pm
Thanks everyone. Im still not sure yet if i will need a c-section, MW is just seeing how things go before she decides what she is going to do.

But its good to know just incase IYKWIM
toniellis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toniellis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2009 at 2:08pm
I had to have my toenail polish removed & my piercings out. I put the piercings back in once I was settled in Recovery anyway.
I also HATED being shaved! The shaved bits grew back & poked me in the wound.. Ouchy is too mild of a word
Mum to Alex (11), Blaire (10) & Erika (8) and Damien (6)

Successful HWB VBA2Cs!
Soon to be surrogate
busymum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote busymum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2009 at 5:29pm
I didn't mind the shaving - although it was weird - as it was really only the top inch. I suspect that the regrowth issues would be as bad whether waxed or shaved.

They say to remove rings as well but it's not necessary as the alternative is to cover them with tape. My c/s was emergency and they didn't do anything about my rings.

The nailpolish thing is so they can check your blood circulation etc by looking at the colour under your fingernails.

There are booklets at the hospital that have all this stuff in them.
lisa85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisa85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2009 at 5:49pm
The good thing about waxing is you don't have to worry about regrowth for 4-6 weeks. Shaving its like a couple of days before the itching starts and with a fresh wound its not the nicest combo

MC April 2010
Mum2L View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mum2L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2009 at 9:42pm
Originally posted by lisa85 lisa85 wrote:

Lady Aset wrote -

I was lucky I had an elective and was first on the list for that day. No wait time at all. I guess its the luck of the draw. We arrived at 0730 booked for 0830 babies were out by 0904 and 0905. So I hope you don't have to wait. I imagine you would have been a nervous wreck by the end of the day Lady_Aset

I was a nervous wreck. And hungry. I had my last thing to eat at 10pm the night before. Then I had to wait till I passed wind after the c-section before they would let me eat, and that was at 4.30am! So over 30 hours of no food Good thing I had my husband had put some pottles of fruit next to the bed for me to eat when I was ready.

palomino View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote palomino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2009 at 8:42am
i had my natural birth planned from the start, so when it ended up having to be a c sect i was not prepared.

mw came at me with electric trimmers. wish id had that wax now.

had lovely painted toenails. pissed the people in the o/r off.

i had earrings in but they left them in.

i had also been drinking and eating lollies thru labour. which then made me feel soo nauseas after some drug they gave me after the op. i dont remember much lol.
ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2009 at 9:29am
i didnt have to wait to eat.. though i wasnt hungry till the next morning....i also had nothing on my chest and had an emergency and had no rings on but they never mentioned anything about clothes etc and they certainly never mentioned anything about starting my heart?:)

so in short.. they probably will want you to take your rings and studs out and nailpolish off... but i wouldnt freak out..maybe it will be all natural for you and people like me were already in a gown for the birth so that solved most of those issues(took my rings off etc):) i just got shaved top of the wound and had no regrowth issues..the thought of a brazillian sounds scary!:)
Mum to two amazing boys!
Shezamumof3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shezamumof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2009 at 11:03am
I had an emergency C Section and they made me take off ALL my jewlery, I had to get them to give me some cream to get my ring off lol and my earings were those studs they use when they pierce your ears lol and they were REALLY ahrd to take out but I had no choice. I had to take off all my nail polish aswell.

You basicly have to go in with nothing but a gown on lol oh and the awesome hat!

cos mine was emergency they made me have this pill and drink this FOUL stuff to get rid of stomach acid cos Id eaten during the day a bit, and after the c section i wasnt allowed to eat "soilds" until id passed wind. This is VERY important because sometimes your bowels get a bit of "shock" which is what happened to me! I had passed a little wind, but obviously not enough as not long after I ate my bowels went into shock and stopped working well, i had awful growling in my bowels and it was scary I needed xrays and was on "liquid" diet for days. So make sure you do a BIG fart or lots of farts until you eat. It was awful for me, so this time Im not eating a drop until i have farted HEAPS lol.

ETA- They also used an electric shaver and shaved the top part of my pubic hair, and when it grew back it was SOOO freakin itchy and annoying near my wound.

Edited by Sheza

toniellis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toniellis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2009 at 11:39am
The difference between being shaved & having wax is that it is only a day or two before you get regrowth fom shaving & it is bristley... Which really hurts if it pokes you in the wound... Whereas waxing means it can take a couple of weeks before it starts to grow back 7 it is softer hair.

I liked being waxed because it kept everything a lot cleaner after even when I had the natural birth.

Successful HWB VBA2Cs!
Soon to be surrogate
Shezamumof3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shezamumof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2009 at 12:03pm
urghh waxing lol, I tried waxing down there myself once and omg id rather go through labour again lol.

I didnt mind being shaved, just didnt like when he grew back.

toniellis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toniellis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 January 2009 at 4:53pm
LOL!!! Getting waxed by a professional is fine. I can't wax myself either LOL

Successful HWB VBA2Cs!
Soon to be surrogate
lisa85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisa85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2009 at 1:26pm
I tried waxing myself once (and only once) I think the problem is it hurts so much you do one strip then can't bring yourself to do any more lol. Professional is the way to go I did look pretty funny 37 weeks pregnant with twins getting a brazillian though

MC April 2010
jack_&_charli View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jack_&_charli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2009 at 9:18pm
with my elective, i had nothing on but my sexy hospital gown.

for my emergency, i didn't have to take anything off! not even my nightie. i still had on my glasses, earrings and rings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>