FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked’Yellowed’ white merino

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
*Lou* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *Lou* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ’Yellowed’ white merino
    Posted: 02 March 2009 at 5:11pm
Really not sure where to post this...

I have been given a lot of merino baby clothing which is in lovely condition, but is quite yellow and meant to be white. I suspect it has been left to dry in the sun.

Anyone have any ideas as to how to return it to white?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links

LadyLizard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyLizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2009 at 5:48pm
Hmm.
Have you tried googling something? There are a few websites where they have good home remedies for stuff like that.

My only suggestion would be napisan OR soak it in soda crystals which i think is in napisan already.
I find bleach sometimes works but you have to take things out really quickly otherwise they can go yellow if you leave thinks to soak too long.

LadyLizard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LadyLizard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 March 2009 at 5:52pm
One website suggests adding 1 cup of white vinegar to the rinse water.

Or you could try this stuff

whitener here

*Lou* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *Lou* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2009 at 8:34am
Thanks

Napisan says not to use it for wool and the oxygen whitener I have (Ecostore) also says not recommended for wool. Has anyone ever used these products with wool? Does it work? How long did you soak for?
emz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2009 at 10:40am
Definitely don't use those with wool. The only thing I would suggest but I have no idea if it would work or not, would be soaking in Lux flakes. That's the only thing I use to wash my wool. And yep it probably would be from the sun so maybe not much luck? You could always try dyeing the wool another colour?
BugTeeny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BugTeeny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2009 at 10:45am
I did this with a lovely jumper my Mum knitted for Hannah.
It's been scorched, so can't be fixed - sounds like this is what has happened to yours, too.

*edited for spelling.

Edited by MamaPickle

AandCsmum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AandCsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2009 at 1:21pm
My wonderful Vinegar Book says...

To get the yellow out of clothing
To restore yellowed clothing, let garment soak overnight in a solution of 12 parts warm water to 1 part white vinegar. Wash following morning.
Kel

A = 01.02.04   &   C = 16.01.09   &   G = 30.03.12
Katherine View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Katherine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2009 at 9:29pm

This is an interesting topic. I met with a merino children's clothing manufacturer a couple of months ago and this very issue came up with them. They mentioned that they get a lot of people trying to return garments because they have yellowed, and that they find it very hard to explain to people that there is really nothing that can be done, because merino is naturally going to yellow over time (as it's worn and gets softer) because it's a natural fibre and there is no way to "whiten" it without either adding another fibre to it (a merino blend rather than pure merino) and chemically treating that fibre, or putting it through some kind of scary chemical process to try to artificially brighten the cloth (which you would not want next to your baby's skin afterward, apparently). So in essence, there should never be any pure white merino clothing, because it's not natural.

I thought this was fascinating, because we have looked at a lot of merino clothing for fashion shoots for the magazine, and we have never seen any that was white-white. So the reality may be that you just have to be stuck with yellowed clothing, because trying to whiten it will destroy the delicate fibres. I've also read that detergents with optical whiteners should not be used on merino either, as that degrades the fibres faster and causes them to weaken and fray.

Post Reply Post Reply