FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked2 yr old accepted into MENSA

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mum2paris View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mum2paris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2 yr old accepted into MENSA
    Posted: 01 May 2009 at 7:18pm
yikes, pretty cool!

Clever kid!
Janine and her 2 cool chicks, Paris & Ayja

Sponsored Links

MummyFreckle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MummyFreckle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2009 at 7:25pm

Note sure how you measure the IQ of 2 yr old. Entrance criteria into Mensa is based on being in the top 2% for your age...so how many other 2 yr olds have been measured to figure that out???

Interestingly this is very good PR for Mensa isnt it.

lizzle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2009 at 7:38pm
what i find really interesting is how they tested - cause she knew lots of facts - capitals, shapes, of course many more than the average kid, however, knowing facts doesn't make you intelligent. just makes you good for pub quizes!

probably more to it than that though i guess. i'm so cynical
KH25 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KH25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2009 at 7:53pm
It is very interesting, I saw it on the news earlier. Although Ashleigh can also spell her name out loud    And sing the alphabet song... but after watching the news clip about it, I asked her what the capital of NZ was and she said "I dunno" lol
Kelly, mum to DD, 19Jun06 (26wks 1lb15oz) DS1, 24Oct10 (32wks 4lb11oz) and DS2, 31Dec11 (32wks, 4lb11)
freckle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freckle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2009 at 10:36pm
Originally posted by SimSam SimSam wrote:

Note sure how you measure the IQ of 2 yr old. Entrance criteria into Mensa is based on being in the top 2% for your age...so how many other 2 yr olds have been measured to figure that out??

The Stanford-Binet Intellience Scale was used to measure her IQ which is a pretty well standardised test and has norms for 2+ years ...
I do find it interesting that they said her strength was memory, as it would make you think she maybe just knows lots of facts... However, the IQ test they used has a high level of both reliability and validity so I suspect she's a clever wee dot
mum to 3 lovely girls :D
peanut butter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peanut butter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2009 at 9:23am

I saw that on TV and thought...yeah, I could get Tom to do that....He can count to 12, say most of his alphabet, twinkle twinkle, ring a ring a rosies, recognise his letters and numbers and "recognise" a few words.....It would be easy to "train" him to know capital cities etc but I think he is just becoming my trained monkey LOL

Actually he is starting to grasp the concept of counting (well, he knows the difference between 1 and 2...ie close 1 eye...now close both eyes and he will say "2 eyes shut!"

I think tom is a smart cookie..but I am biased.  he just loves learning and you tell him something once and he will bring it up a few weeks later.

freckle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freckle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2009 at 3:31pm
yeah kids are like wee sponges and can easily learn lots of stuff like that eh... I think the stuff they showed on TV was probably what they thought people would see as pretty amazing... however, the test they used looks at lots of other areas which make up IQ not just knowledge... i.e visual spatial perception, working memory, quantitive reasoning and so on... stuff that can't just be trained...

"two eyes shut" - that's sooo cute!

and I agree it would be easy to just train things like capital cities - if I knew them myself! I'm sooo crap with that kinda stuff, how embarassing a two year old knows more than me
mum to 3 lovely girls :D
Natalie_G View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Natalie_G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2009 at 2:39pm
Wow what a clever girl.

(Arianne will be a member too hehe)
missy_girl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missy_girl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2009 at 11:14pm
Clever wee sausage.

I think Zoe should be accepted too. She can count to twenty in english and maori, she knows her colours in both english and maori, thanks to Dora she knows a wee bit of spanish. Zoe can also spell her name, draw smiley faces, say sh*t, and knows the best way to get a bikkie is to say 'mummy is beautiful'.
Michelle

Post Reply Post Reply