FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedElective being a cop out!!??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
sally belly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sally belly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2009 at 2:11pm
I saw an OB yesterday & he said they won't induce me either. Something to do with it (potentially) causing too much stress on the scar. They will rupture my membranes & I can have syntocin to regulate contractions if needed but that's all.

Sponsored Links

ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2009 at 2:12pm
cuppatea....it's part of what puts me off trying for VBAC cause if i need induction i don't want the horrible new way!:)

angel- in many cases it's just what happens..it's so fast you don't have time to think about it and in my case there was no time for being knocked out but i was also lucky i already had epi. ...personally i think being knocked out would be worse because you miss the birth...?
Mum to two amazing boys!
ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2009 at 2:13pm
how bizarre that chc is so different....!
Mum to two amazing boys!
cuppatea View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cuppatea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 August 2009 at 2:35pm
The good thing with the new method is that if it works (I was told it has a 50% success rate) then things progress naturally and you don't get the issues of intense labour that you get with the gel which is the reason they don't like to use the gel.
I forgot at my appointment to ask what happens if you are in the 50% that it doesn't work for, not sure if that means that you go straight to c/s or if they would do the gel or whether they can do the drip without the gel. I have no idea. My plan if I went over due was to try the new method and if that didn't work to have a c/s.

Bobbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2009 at 1:21pm
Yeah I got that with my first one - Umm ok shall I birth her breech then? Sure just find me some medical staff willing to do it.

This time I am choosing a C over a VBAC. The options were laid out for me and TBH it sounds like I have a very small option of a VBAC without it resulting in an emergency C. I'd rather take an elective over an emergency C any day of the week.

But maybe I'm weird.....

Babykatnz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Babykatnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2009 at 3:53pm
lol Bobbie, if you're wierd then so was I! I had a large chance of ending with another c-section if I tried for a VBAC so decided I would prefer an elective, no way did I want to risk going through my horrible emergency one ever again!... Luckily the OB agreed lol
Brandon - 05/12/2003

JoJames View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoJames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2009 at 4:28pm
I think this time if I was told there was a high chance of me having an emergency c-section I would definately go for the C, Dh would also be a big fan because he didn't enjoy the last emergency.

What lame people to say that to you.
Good luck for your birth
Paws View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paws Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2009 at 5:49pm
Everyone always has an opinion don't they? I must admit, I do think that people who have a c-section unnecessarily are copping out but I hate that people assume that that is what you are doing. It is that assumption that REALLY brasses me off. I mean as others have said, who in thier right mind who chose to have a c-section?

I'm going to be campaigning for a VBAC this time and it's already been indicated to me that I would have to go into labour naturally, can't be induced and can't have syntocin.(sp?)

lisa85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisa85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2009 at 9:48am
It's so funny how completely different peoples experiences are. I had a C because Esme was breech and she was the presenting twin but even if they had told me there was no reason not to do a natural birth I still would have chosen the C as I felt it was the easy option. I was all for coping out lol. All that sweating, pushing & tearing wasn't for me! The recovery was tough but I didn't need morphine and was up the next day. It never stopped me from caring for my girls.

The idea of natural birth has never appealed to me. Looking back now I was probably a wee bit clueless I didn't realise how hard a C can be for most women and yes for most VB is probably the much easier option but on the whole I found mine extremely easy, straight forward and stress free. In fact I actually enjoyed the experience. I know my experience isn't the norm for a C but I will be choosing to do it again if we have another baby. I like the idea of having the control an elective gives me.

TTC #3 since Jan 2010 - PCOS
MC April 2010
lisa85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisa85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2009 at 9:56am
I guess I'm one of those awful people that is fueling the fires that c-sections are the easy option but I try to add that my experience isn't the norm. I've learnt from this site that most hate their c-section experiences.

MC April 2010
Bobbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2009 at 10:57am
Lisa I feel the same about being in control of the situation. I never got upset having had to do a C last time but I know that if I went down the route of a VBAC this time and then got told that sorry I wasn't progressing to the almighty timetable and it was time for my emergency C I would be very upset at having that option taken away from me.

I got told the same thing re: no induction, not allowed to go late, C if needs to come early (Rowan was IUGR) and C if not progressing well enough (whatever that means). But because my ultimate goal is not to have an emergency C I have stipulated that if I actually do go into labour myself then I will have a shot at a VBAC.

ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2009 at 11:37am
lisa- i know what you mean...i would much much preferred to be in control and not go through that labour and awful emergency! the whole thing was blah! :) and IMHO missing out on labour would have been great..!

I *think* i will be going for elective c but we will see I guess..
Mum to two amazing boys!
lilfatty View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lilfatty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2009 at 1:21pm
Lisa, just a side note .. subsequent cs's are much harder ops (because of the scar tissue and the body parts have usually moved around). so much so that I was advised not to get pg again as I now have a huge chance of my bladder rupturing during any subsequent cs because of the position and amount os scar tissue in there).
Mummy to Issy (3) and Elias (18 months)

I did it .. 41 kgs gone! From flab to fab in under a year LFs weight blog
ElfsMum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ElfsMum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2009 at 1:30pm
lilfatty is that for most people? (the bladder thing?) or different for everyone?
Mum to two amazing boys!
lisa85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisa85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2009 at 1:43pm
Wow lilfatty thats scary I would be interested to see how much scar tissue I have and how much of an issue it would be. However it will be a couple of years before we have another. Who knows I may be convinced to have a VBAC yet lol. I'll have to make a mental note to bring it up if I don't though,. I do have a very small scar. I can't imagine there would be much..... I hope

MC April 2010
tishy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tishy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2009 at 2:08pm
I know I was told that if I had a twin pregnancy again I would HAVE to have a C/S. However if I had a singleton pregnancy I could try for VBAC.

Aoife was the second baby and IUGR. The reason the OB suggested a C/S was because he didn't know how she would cope with 2 labours and chances were Aoife would come out by Emergency C/S anyway.

Like Lisa, I had a positive experience with my C/S. I had a healthy pregnancy and a speedy recovery.
(But that I put down more to my Mothers 'workhorse' genes than anything else. Anyone who can milk cows up to 36weeks in a twin pregnancy deserves a medal in my book.)

ETA: I also hate the term 'elective'. I had a C/S based on medical advice. Elective to me suggests that I was 'too posh to push'.

Edited by tishy
Bobbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2009 at 4:11pm
My MW said I could have up to 4 pregnancies via C sect and my OB doesn't see an issue either.

I guess there is a risk of scarring but I would expect it would be more likely after an emergency C than an elective since your body has been through so much more labouring beforehand.

LouD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2009 at 4:15pm
Too posh to push......hahaha i like that.........we should campaign for it to be called a medical csection instead of elective.

My first was emergency after 18 hours of labour and being induced through a drip. I too had an epi csection. I wasnt in a huge amount of pain and recovered very quickly, which i put down to being young (19).
My second I was 28 and i was going to try for VBAC as it was a different Dad and i wanted to do it naturally for him, but after 5 days over due and no sign of even a softened cervix the pain in the pelvis ws getting too much so after making a painful decision i folded and went elective.....but was 11 days over by the time they booked me in.......and then his head was so wedged in pelvis they needed forceps to get him out with a csection, and this same thing happened with my first.........so tall and short of it all, is i have a narrow pelvis and big headed children, so even if i had made it to VBAC i wouldve ended up having quite a full on ordeal and prob a Csection anyway.........but my second was a painful and long recovery and I ended up with an infection which took 3 different types of antibiotics to get rid of and wasnt pretty........

This pregnancy has been such a breeze for me so far that I am feeling very positive about having an elective this time, not gonna beat myself up about it all again, and this time after two babies delivered 11 days over due im getting one early finally!!!!!!   and im staying fit by swimming and doing preg yoga in the hope of a faster recovery.......oh and Im determined not to stay in hosp, and want to come up to maternity rooms, so will need to make myself get out of bed for that....so gonna push myself for sure!!! I hated hosp so bad that i managed to get out of hosp day 3 with my second or i was gonna punch someone......hated it so much!!!! and i hated having to press my buzzer every time i wanted my baby out of the crip or put back in........rather be at home where my DH can do all that

So thats my two csection experiences

ETA - I actually liked the fact my first i had labour and my waters started going cos i feel like i can at least join in a few more conversations about childbirth.......so i dont feel completely left out.........and at the end of the day, as long as the baby is delivered the safest way and its healthy then it shouldnt matter whether we did csection or sucked back a million drugs to get through the labour!!!

Edited by Chickielou
lisa85 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisa85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2009 at 9:20pm
Haha too posh to push, I love it! That's me all the way lol

MC April 2010
Shezamumof3 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shezamumof3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2009 at 9:39pm
K.A, like the others have said, they wont induce because of the stress on the scar, syntocin can cause very strong contractions and fast labours and you want to avoid that with a VBAC, you want things to happen as natural as possible.

My elecetive is booked for 31st August, later than I wanted originally, but Friday was booked up, Thursday is no good for us and I didnt want to do it bang on 41 weeks. So now Im going to be a few days off 42 weeks, if I make it that long, Im hoping I will go into labour any day now...

My main reasons for wanting try and avoid a C Section is that it will be hard for me to look after Caden as he is still very dependant on me.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>