FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedTo all rhesus negative women – A Must Rea

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 14>
Author
Emmi_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmi_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2010 at 9:20pm
Hey Nikki, you might be able to help me.... After having DD I tested positive for having anti bodies... my MW said this would have been because I had anti D at 34 or 36w (2 weeks later than what its ment to be). Is this true? I didnt know the antibodies hung around like that? Ive requested to have a blood test when DD is 6m to check I dont have them any more (MW apparently checked with someone how long it takes for them to go out of your system, apparently by 6m they should be all gone). Does that sound right? Before I had the first lot I tested negative for antibodies...

+1 May 09 Angel
Sponsored Links

NikkiB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NikkiB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2010 at 7:43am
Emmi, I know that anti-d does show in your blood, after you've had anti-d injections, but I'm not sure for how long they show for though, sorry. All I can say is, have a blood test at 6 months (as your mw has said), hopefully by then, you won't have any signs of antibodies. I see you are waiting another little one, so good luck hun.
A very lucky mummy to two gorgeous boys:
RB 3/10/2008
JB 29/12/2009
Emmi_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmi_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2010 at 8:05am
thanks just wanted to make sure the mw was right about it showing up in your blood, i want the test to make sure i dont have any for real. (i figure since they test for them in your prenatal bloods if it turns up positive i want to know before im pregnant!)

+1 May 09 Angel
NikkiB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NikkiB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2010 at 8:11am
Definitely, that way you can get the right people involved to assist you during the next pregnancy. But just remember, if you have been sensitized (sp?) and do have antibodies, you 'might' be able to have a negative blood group baby. You'd need to get your DH's blood tested to see if he can throw positives and negatives. Unfortunately, my DH can only throw negatives.
RB 3/10/2008
JB 29/12/2009
caliandjack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2010 at 1:47pm
Emmi did you have a BT for antibodies before you had your anti-D shots at 34 weeks?

I'm coming up to 28 weeks and wondered if I need to have another BT to check for antibodies?

BT was negative for antibodies at the start of my pregnancy.

[/url]

Angel June 2012
RedHeadDuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedHeadDuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2010 at 4:44pm
I had the anti-D injection after birth (apparently, I can't remember it, but my notes say I did and everyone else who was in the room remembers me getting it hahaha!).... But never had it at any other point during my pregnancy?

I had bloods done a couple of times, and MW ticked to check for antibodies as well just in case, so I'm guessing cos nothing came up I never needed it while I was pregnant?

NikkiB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NikkiB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2010 at 7:35pm
Moocow, anti-d injections should be offered at 28 & 32 weeks, just in case you have a silent bleed (like I did). If a silent bleed goes undetected and you build up antibodies, then its too late for the anti-d injections. Hope this makes sense.

Congratulations on your little boy
RB 3/10/2008
JB 29/12/2009
Emmi_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmi_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2010 at 7:47pm
C&J, nope, as MW said it would come back positive due to having had the anti d a couple of weeks ago,so didnt test. Got tested 2 mins before my first shot at 30w though.

Oh that is interesting about DH being able to throw negatives or not.. I always thought there would be a possibility, interesting that its not always possible

+1 May 09 Angel
RedHeadDuck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedHeadDuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2010 at 8:14pm
NikkiB, it was never even mentioned needing them then ... I live in Southland though, and we seem to be a bit behind with stuff like that here, sometimes it seems to take a while for care to filter down. Plus TBH SDHB is pretty sh!t!!!!

I wonder if that will affect having #2 at all?

NikkiB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NikkiB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2010 at 8:43pm
It did with me.....
RB 3/10/2008
JB 29/12/2009
KatzWtgn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KatzWtgn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2010 at 11:12am
Moocow, you don't have to have the anti-D when pregnant if you don't have any risk factors (eg, bumps, etc). I had a good discussion about this with my midwife who said that it was my choice, but to also remember that the anti-D injection is a blood product with risks that all blood products have.

I decided not to have the anti-D during my pregnancy, and my DS tested negative after birth, so I didn't have it at all.

For my next pregnancy, I think I'll do the same, just carefully monitor if I have any knocks, etc.
[IMG]http://lb3f.lilypie.com/rGG7p13.png]
Emmi_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmi_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2010 at 11:21am
KatzWtgn, you can have silent bleeds, that happen with no bumps, knocks or any sign of bleeding, so if you were unfortunate enough to have a silent bleed then it would be too late to do anything about it by the time bubs was born (if they have positive blood). Of course the chance of having a silent bleed would be small, but so too is the chance of getting something from the blood product. Its a total personal choice that at the end of the day so long as you have information and make an informed choice that your happy with, then thats all that matters

+1 May 09 Angel
KatzWtgn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KatzWtgn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2010 at 11:26am
Sure Emmi -- that's true. I was happy with my choice, but was aware that there were risks. I just meant to reassure Moocow that just because she didn't have the anti-D during pregnancy doesn't mean that there will necessarily be anything wrong with #2.
[IMG]http://lb3f.lilypie.com/rGG7p13.png]

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2010 at 12:56pm
Wouldn't you have the normal antibodies test at the beginning of pregnancy for #2?

That way if you don't have any antibodies present you wouldn't need anti-D?

I've got a MW appointment this week I'll talk to her about it.

I don't want to take anti-D if I don't need to.

[/url]

Angel June 2012
Emmi_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmi_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 August 2010 at 1:33pm
its not a need thing, C&J, by the time you "need" it it can be too late... You need them within 48 hours of starting to form them (from what I understand) so if you dont know you need them then it doesnt work... Does that make sense?

+1 May 09 Angel
mumoftwins View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mumoftwins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2010 at 1:51pm
Back to the top
Got to make sure all Rh- preggie mums are aware of this!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caliandjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2010 at 2:06pm

I had my 28 weeks bloods this week, waiting for results. There is some sort of anti-d trial on atm, will need to talk to MW about this.

[/url]

Angel June 2012
Emmi_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmi_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2010 at 4:48pm

Is it the trial talked about at the beginning of this thread C&J?

Nikki, just wondering, now that youve developed the antibodies, can you have a baby with rH negative blood and it be fine?  Is it only positive babies that your body 'attacks'?

+1 May 09 Angel
lostAmber View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lostAmber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2010 at 5:08pm
Emmi, a Rh- baby is fine, it is only the Rh+ antibodies that our body will attack.
Emmi_ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emmi_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2010 at 5:28pm
Did you end up getting them done LA?

+1 May 09 Angel
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 14>